Euro sport frame conversions issues? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Euro sport frame conversions issues?

JC
    The back wheel for that frame has a disc brake and most other CXs are drum brakes - you would need to figure out how to make that work - perhaps a GL swingarm? - or source the Boomerang Comstar that came with the frame with a disc on it.

The gentleman selling the frame bought it with the wheels (I sold it to him) so he may still have them - check with him.

Importantly, the engine hangers are not in that photo - the standard CX hanger does not fit the triple backbone frame - so you would need to get that from the seller or from elsewhere too.

That's alright I think it will be easier to just go another route then to frame swap a dual shock

JC
    Maybe check with some locals who have had their bike monoshock converted re how much they had to pay to get an engineer to sign off on the mod so they could get a blue slip - it's not cheap around here, Syd is probably cheaper but still worth checking... that may influence which way is best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yer that's true, I live in a small town so there's no one local and I doubt anyone even close to here could engineer it, there currently a mono shock forsale on gumtree which would be prefect but it's just 5k and it's missing a ton of stuff (can't work out why he wants 5 for it)

From the pics in that listing I can see that the swingarm & linkage is all there as well as the final drive but I can't tell if the driveshaft is there. The bad news is that the CX-E final drive won't mate to a regular CX rear wheel but it is a 3 bolt rear end so a regular CX final drive will bolt to that frame.

As I mentioned before, my CX started out as a CX650E but everything from the swingarm back is from CX & GL 500s. Because the final drive is on the right they had to put the brake on the left and since the pedal is on the right that necessitated a shaft that runs through a tube welded to the bottom of the frame to operate the brake. The CX650E frame has the tube for the brake shaft so it is very likely that the CX500E frame does too (Maybe JC can confirm?)

To make the brake work I had to modify some brass bushings and use spacer washers that aren't original but it wasn't all that difficult.

As JC mentioned you would need the correct engine mount brackets to attach the engine to the frame (if the seller doesn't have the ones from the E ones from a GL500 would work). I would recommend reading the first few pages of my Never Ending Build thread (link in my signature) to get an idea of what would be required.

As for the front end, I haven't a clue what would fit. Again maybe JC will know if the front end from a regular CX will fit.

If it will the next challenge would be getting a seat & tank to fit but lots of people have changed those.

It might be a bit of work but it could be done. On the other hand, if you can find a GL500 it would be much closer to what you want....
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

The only thing to do when you find

a bike way overpriced.

make a reasonable offer.

call back every once in a while

be patient

save contact info,wait till he gives up

and add disappears or comes back to earth.
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links