Well today could have gone better. Took the CX to work and got pulled over. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Well today could have gone better. Took the CX to work and got pulled over.

Far out!
    I would have asked him for a ticket so I could be sure to get my side of the story out in court.
    I keep my cell phone in my top pocket of my mc jackets. A couple of quick clicks and recording begins.
    There are phone apps that allow old cell phones to record your travels. You can select short 10 minute bites that are over written. If bad stuff happens you have your record.

make a complaint and request (or have your lawyer do it) that his dash cam and his incident report be reviewed
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I would have been tempted to Pi** on his boots. File a complaint.
    1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

One I used to favour when I was much younger was 'wassamatterpig,downonyerquota.

They hated that.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

I tried to keep my calm and I think he was getting mad because I didn't take the bait. Also I wasn't entirely clear what Mass laws were in regards to fender length and they can always find and issue if they want. Looking on line it seems that I was right about the 1/4 coverage and mine is a few inches shy of that. If I do decide to make any changes there it may not be till fall seeing I would need to take the swingarm off the bike and cut up fresh powdercoat before graphing a new fender on. I did also find that my rear turn signals are in violation as Mass requires 9" between them. Im not sure if this is something they enforce and he did not mention them but I'll see what my options are.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

Would you want to be a cop nowadays? Me neither, worst job out there. Somebody's got to do it, though. Solution: pay double or more what they pay now and train them better so cities don't have to resort to hiring any psychopath out there who can't get a job anywhere else.
    The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

Started looking up NH laws. The seem more vague. I guess it would be up to the officer if he feels "Provides inadequate protection from road debris"

PART Saf-C 3243 MOTORCYCLE BODY OR CHASSIS

Saf-C 3243.01 Body Damage.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if:

(1) The body components or sheet metal have tears, sharp edges or protruding areas which present a safety hazard to any person;

(2) Any fender:

a. Is missing;

b. Is improperly installed;

c. Provides inadequate protection from road debris;

d. Interferes with the safe operation of the motorcycle; or

e. Is not a type compatible with the original equipment; or

PART Saf-C 3215 LIGHTS AND LIGHTING

Saf-C 3215.01 Turn Signal Lamp Systems.
    (a) Pursuant to RSA 266:42, all vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1952 shall have turn signal lamps.
    (b) A vehicle shall be rejected if any turn signal lamp or operating unit:
    (1) Is not a type compatible with the original equipment.
    (2) Is not in the position designated by the manufacturer;
    (3) Does not function properly;
    (4) Is not properly directed;
    (5) Is obscured; or
    (6) Has a self-canceling mechanism that does not function properly.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

the police officer is a CIVIL servant if you were not giving him attitude he should not have been abusive

report it he has issues
    Gerard likes this.
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I (try to) never hit them with attitude. They sometimes go off. Lots of cops are good, but you know the profession attracts that type.

I agree with lodging a complaint.

My best story about something like this was getting pulled over with two buddies on the Angeles Crest Highway for going "too fast" on our bicycles. I had to do my best to keep from laughing, but then one of my friends started to lose it, and I had to restrain him and get him to quiet down. In our case, the cop wasn't particularly abusive, but he felt that our group of 40-something men needed a firm and long lecture about safe cycling.

We were actually just trying to more-or-less keep up with traffic so that we wouldn't be getting passed by bonehead motorists until we got to a gentler, straighter section with visibility. We were going maybe 40-45 between curves. (I also met a guy who got an actual speeding ticket for doing 77 mph on his bicycle descending from the Whitney Portal. He was proud of that one.)
    Peter

'79 CX500C, low miles

The last time I got pulled over on my CX in MA it was a local cop who clocked me doing 85 in a 45 zone. His first words were that thing moves for a 30 year old bike. I showed him Murray's carbs which I just installed and explained I was seeing just how good they were. We spent 10-15 mins on the side of the road talking about the bike. He was generally impressed at the performance from a bike that's older than he is. But town cops usually don't write up locals here, we vote on their budget after all.

My experience with the MASP troopers it the vast majority are personable and really do not want to pull you over. However you never want to debate them during a traffic stop. Some of them do start to get burned out when they are on the road for too long, working night shifts, dealing with morons all day, and the bureaucracy of the MASP is taxing. When you debate them during a stop they will ALWAYS with the argument. Even if it means you end up in cuffs. The best thing to do is smile and be nice no matter what they say. If they write you up, you can always argue the ticket in the only place it matters, the courtroom. Troopers generally hate pulling people over, and for the most part, they hate writing tickets, and usually they hate going to court. If they are pulling you over and writing you up its usually because they are being asked to write more tickets.

So you should probably just forget about it, and not let it ruin your day. The trooper probably isn't thinking about it, why should you.

TF
    Last edited by Technicalfoul; 05-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    1983 CX650 Custom

Search the forum, search the Wiki.
    Its rare that an original problem develops in a 30 year old machine.

Your question has probably already been answered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links