Well today could have gone better. Took the CX to work and got pulled over. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Well today could have gone better. Took the CX to work and got pulled over.

What the " " rejected for no front fender. Holy cow lots of NJ Harley bobbers have no front fender.
    No inspection in NJ, but now I have to look up NJ motorcycle requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    in the 70's today in New England. The guys at work have been wanted to see the CX so I decided to drive it in from NH to Mass. Its not a normal journey I would attempt being a 4hr ride. Its a 55 mile ride each way and usually take 1.5-2hrs. usually longer going home. The Honda was running great. While sitting in bumper to bumper traffic I saw a state trooper about 6 cars up in the breakdown lane. He made some sudden moves and I figured I was going to get pulled over. He waited till I passed at 2mph and cut off 3 lanes of traffic to get behind me. Put on his lights and started screaming at me over his Mic. He screamed to "pull that ridiculous POS into the break down lane" The bike is fully insured, registered and inspected. While remaining in his SUV he screamed at me to remove my helmet, eyeglasses, place my backpack on the ground, unzip my leather and walk backwards towards his suv. He finally got out and screamed at me for 20 minutes. I was baffled, I did my best to stay calm as he stated "U may be able to get away with this Shit in NH but not here". I said calmly "Sir I do not understand what I did, I'm simply a 40 year old single dad commuting to work" After a tirade to no where he settle on my rear fender being unacceptable... He said the fender must completely cover the rear wheel. I paused then said "sir, clearly you don't approve of my motorcycle. that being said you are simply wrong... I'm not trying to argue with you but if you look at any sports bike you will see that less than 1/4 is covered and show him pictures of other bikes." He ran my license and came back and yelled at me that I had said that I was from NH but I used to live in MA and should know better than to try to pull this shit. I said "sir I haven't lived in MA for over 20 years and still do not understand what it is I did wrong" After more yelling he let me leave with out a ticket or warning....

It really ruined me day and seeing I have an annual charity ride this Saturday in Mass to help send children with autism to summer camp I'm hesitant to take the Honda.. It was on my mind the whole way home and got me thinking... He clearly decided to pull me over 1. before he saw my fender 2. before he saw that I'm from NH... So what do you guys make outta it? Honda hater or simply thinks I'm too fat and old to ride a bobber..
    Sad story, OP, but you are not alone. Law enforcement makes mistakes, and this was one of them - treating you so poorly. Police have an obligation to treat citizens with respect as they are public servants working for us, not the other way around. I have friends in law enforcement and if they heard your story, the first thing they would ask you is, "Do you have a video of this occurance?". They would be the first to say you should have a lawyer provide the video to the offending agency, along with a complaint. This is not a matter of trying to get even, it is simply the only way a guy like that is going to get the message that his behavior is unacceptable, and that it needs to be corrected, or he needs to resign his commission and find another career. It is possible that the occurance was captured on police video/audio if that is a standard yet in Mass. I do not know, but it's up to you if you want to pursue a complaint without your supporting video proof that what you say actually happened.

Go ride your venue, have a good time, and forget about this guy. He's lucky you didn't have a video rolling. Take solace in that fact.

And as for the DGR, for heavens sake, please ride it. The cause is way too important to let one bad experience with Law Enforcement have you second guessing your bike's roadworthyness.

-3Sport
    Last edited by 3SportBiker; 05-19-2017 at 06:23 AM.
    1982 GL500 Interstate

You could put a mudguard.

or Google there are lots

of cool ways to make an

extension without cuttin on

the thing.

From UK but you get the drift.

Combination Counter
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Helmet cam
    Can he force mass laws on a nh vehicle?
    Regards,
    Lindsay
    1979 custom & 1979 standard
    Project bikes

I am a very big supporter of Police and the job they do but I would have been laughing in his face. His bad attitude doesnt need to be taken out on you. Do your ride, forget that idiot and enjoy your bike. But ya if you ever get that kind of performance on camera I would take it to his superiors and he would be tasting size 12's.

Oh and good on ya for not losing your S***. Well played
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadfever View Post
    Helmet cam
    Can he force mass laws on a nh vehicle?
    Technically if a vehicle does not conform to state laws he probably can give you a ticket and tell you to fix it, which is just like in Canada all the provinces do their Motor vehicle legislation on their own. What is legal in one place might not be somewhere else.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by cx500slacker View Post
    Technically if a vehicle does not conform to state laws he probably can give you a ticket and tell you to fix it, which is just like in Canada all the provinces do their Motor vehicle legislation on their own. What is legal in one place might not be somewhere else.
    The reason I asked is that in NS the clowns here have made there own rules ie can not register a Vw dune buggy (some goof in the RMV decided he had to protect us from dune buggies) but I'm pretty sure if you drove one from another province or state they could not take you off the road if it was a legal vehicle. A trailer with a # 3500 axle in NS is only rated for 2700# without brakes.
    Regards,
    Lindsay
    1979 custom & 1979 standard
    Project bikes

Many years ago when I was about 20 a young state trooper gave me a speeding ticket.I thought just pay it but when I went to pay it there was no speed on it,it just said speeding and the clerk told me to go to court. In court he told the judge it was a red motorcycle and looked very fast,he had picture of it totally stock new 550 1980 Suzuki , the judge said it looked like any other bike he had seen.He had not written in his notes any speed and it was dismissed,he also told the cop he wanted to talk to him after court.
    1982 Honda GL500 I SilverWing Interstate " Its not the destination but the journey and Ride Safe "

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links