New Tires Make All The Difference!
Close

I've been gone a while but came back to visit: anyway, my old Cheng Shin tires gave me 12k trouble free miles but I knew they were reaching the end of their useful life. My bike had developed a progressive shimmy that was noticeable if I let go of both of the handlebars; it didn't act that way when they were newer. Anyway, a brand new set of Metzler 880 Marathons got rid of the shimmy. I haven't gotten to play on a curvy road yet (everything out here is straight as an arrow) but just getting rid of that shimmy is a very good sign.

Did I miss anything when I was gone?
    Jay Hanig

1982 GL500 Silverwing (naked)
    ATGATT / "Better to wipe off sweat than blood."

My bike

Your absence was noticed here Jay - hope all is and has been well with you. And no, you haven't missed anything real important. Wanna argue?
    1981 GL500I

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    Your absence was noticed here Jay - hope all is and has been well with you. And no, you haven't missed anything real important. Wanna argue?

Slackness on my part. I have settled into my island existence and haven't had a motorcycle problem in quite a while. I did have to replace my fork seals but that was it. All of my problems have been either with my house or my boat:

1) Had a pipe bust in the attic recently which fed my geothermal heat pump that heats and cools my third floor. That flooded a walk in closet on the third floor and my master bedroom on the second floor. I hopped to it with the shop vac and then fans but there wasn't much I could do for the ceilings. At least I'll be getting rid of the damned popcorn. Right now the estimate for repairs is $9.5k.... all but $2.5k covered by insurance. Still fighting with the insurance company to authorize the repairs but I expect to ultimately win.

2) HVAC is the bane of my existence: last summer the convention heat pump which handles the heating and cooling needs of the second floor crapped out. Had to replace the compressor and some sort of valve which failed (two separate failures each requiring another recharging of freon). The air handler required a repair for something or other as well on yet a third occasion. These failures all occurred on the hottest days of summer.

3) My boat is almost as old as my motorcycle ('85 vs '82) and I have to say I was warned when I bought it... just not by the seller. Since I bought it, I've had to replace the transom (I was lucky it didn't sink on my first trip out), have the entire boat rewired, replaced the steering rack, sorted out a too fast idle which made things interesting around a dock. One other thing that made it interesting around the dock was the fact that I could not reliably hit neutral... that also got straightened out. This winter I was having soft deck issues squared away and we have recently discovered the engine took a dump. Apparently the exhaust manifold had rusted out internally and allowed sea water into the guts of the engine. It will make a great anchor but it's not good for much else. We're on the lookout for a good used 3.0 liter Mercruiser engine.

All of the time I used to spend here I've been spending on the boating forum instead. Oh, did I say "spending"? Must have been a Freudian slip. Anyway, I'm in too deep to back away now. The theory is at some point in the future I'll have a boat that's seaworthy.

4) Hurricane Irene blew past and I stayed on the island during it. It was an education if nothing else (and our exposure was nowhere as severe as the poor folks north of us). Even though we've never had any serious wind damage from any hurricane since the house was built in 1983, I decided to take a few active steps to beefing up my defenses: I now have metal panels to cover every window I can reach without a ladder and rollaway storm shutters for those I can't. Watching the sliding glass door from my bedroom to the deck was an eye opener: it actually pulsated and I had the mental image of Darth Vader's breathing. Scary!

5) Lastly, I've been taking steps to get backup electricity installed. I bought a 15kw Honeywell generator from Costco which is currently sitting in my garage along with a 200 amp auto switch. Because flooding is a real problem around here periodically during hurricane season, I have to elevate it. The town wanted an "engineered" platform built (among other things) but they made the process so onerous the contractor quit before he started. That's when I decided to take things into my own hands and do without the guidance of the town inspectors. Anyway, I built a platform by myself that is stouter than any of my decks. One leg is using an existing piling for the house, the other three are 6 X 6 piling sunk three feet into the ground with 160 lbs of concrete for each one. Not a nail anywhere in it; it's all carriage bolts and deck screws. Photos are located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jay_hanig/ . Can you tell I'm proud? I've also had a 330 gallon propane tank delivered which I'm going to build a concrete pad for as an anchoring point so it doesn't float away. It looks like I have a German U-Boat sitting in my back yard. Anyway, this is a work in progress.

So that's what I've been doing. I'm generally only riding one or two days a week simply because I don't need the transportation to go anywhere. And when I do, my truck is more appropriate considering all of the supplies I bring back.
    Jay Hanig

1982 GL500 Silverwing (naked)
    ATGATT / "Better to wipe off sweat than blood."

My bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I lived on the coast I repaired a boat or two. " A hole in the ocean, lined with wood, that one shovels money into." K
    80 CX500 Delux
    13 DL650 V Strom

Sponsored Links