Honda CX 500 Forum banner

New guy in Rochester MN

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dccoleman 
#1 ·
Hey strangers. Just picked up a '80 500 Custom recently. Plans on doing some light modifications at first, larger scale items farther down the road. Was not running when I got it, previous owner is pretty sure it's due to a gummed up carb. So currently I'm cleaning and rebuilding that. Got Larry's book on the way, as I know nothing about carbs.

Here is what it looked like when I picked it up.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Cleaning the carb is going fairly easy so far, pretty sure he was right about that being the cause of not running.
Plywood Wood

Only question I have is should I replace the plastic seal in the vacuum cylinder? It has a small gouge on it, not something I like to see.
Auto part Rim Metal Fashion accessory Wheel

All the rebuild kits I've seen looks like a large o-ring instead of the hard plastic that this is. Any ideas?

Thanks ahead for any help, hope to see you guys out on the road soon.

See less See more
#4 ·
Larry's book and an ultrasonic cleaner is all you will probably need to guide you through the process. . Read it carefully and don't forget to pull those lower jets with either an easy out or a screwdriver, depending on the particular carbs. If you need help there is someone in Rochester who can probably help you out or else just over the river in Wisconsin if you don't understand everything in Larry's book. If you need mentoring via phone you can always call me. Just send me a PM with your email address and I will send you my phone number.

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the fold, powderedtoastman. We've got quite a contingent of members in MN, with a few in your area. Keep the the third Saturday in May open for the annual Spring Ride and Barbecue.

R

#6 ·
Welcome to another Rochester member! I've done a couple of carbs with good result. If you need a hand, let me know. I can give you directions to Randall's house.

Just kidding. I'd be happy to help you round off some bolts.

David in Rochester

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.