Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm leaving yukon, oklahoma on july 20th 2011 and will be making a 3 day trip to wisconsin and vacationing for a week. i will be adding to this as i go. your support will be appreciated since no one i know has faith in my bike except me and my father. everyone say's, oh that bike is way too old to go that far, or why would you want to ride a piece of junk on wheels that far, why dont you just fly?

well guess what my grandfather was a lifetime biker and my father was a life time biker, and i never thought i would be but the road is calling to me. its like a drug addiction, i just cant get enough time on the road. so anyways if you guys know of any cool stops let me know. google yukon, ok to minoqua wisconsin and select no tolls and no highways to see my route. thanks guys!
    building 2 cx500 cafe bikes

1982 gl500 nut and bolt restored, sold for $4500

1982 gl500 was an interstate sold for $2800.

66 harley-stolen

78 yamaha xs750-sold

89 suzuki gs850-sold

kawi 450 dirtbike-stolen

When do you expect to pass through Minneapolis?

R
    1978 CX500 Standard - The Black Maggot -> Green Grub, Red Grub, Yellow Grub???

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdvWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Senior Member DavidfromWisconsin's Avatar
    First off, it should be an easy 2 day ride. While you are there, if you have time, you might want to check out the Keweenaw Peninsula. It is a beautiful place and great riding.
    Formerly David from Wisconsin
    Formerly R80Dave
    GL500I "Candy"
    BMW K1200LT
    Kawasaki 400LTD (Wife's learning bike)
    Mentoring is available

I like the avoid tolls idea but no Highways. That also means no fast in the areas that suck for about 350 a day.

Just remember small roads have small time traffic and road construction. I would find some sections of superslab and kill out some of the boring areas quick. Then you can spend longer at the interesting spots.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

And if you go to the peninsula, stop and eat some whitefish.

Quote Originally Posted by baugh55grfmj View Post
    And if you go to the peninsula, stop and eat some whitefish.

I like whitefish liver better than the whitefish.

Ev.

MI.

Gl500i
    Ev.

MI.

1982 Gl500i

The reason im taking the country roads is that this bike was pulled out of a motorcycle graveyard and all the components were taken from the 6 other similar hondas that were doomed to join the rust piles. i am very good at building custom bikes with new parts but doing a full restoration is very hard. i will be done with the restoration on friday and this ride will be a true test of safety and performance, so i want to take it slow and stay away from the highway were if something catastrophically fails i will not get smooshed by the car behind me at 75 mph. plus i have a better chance of discovering issues if i change speeds often. this bike is a gift to my father and i could never live with myself if this bike breaks and kills him so i need to be sure its in good shape. i will have many spare parts, tools, and other must haves for a trip like this.

for the minnesota guy, i will be in minneapolis mid morning on day three, and will likely spend some time there.

and for the guys who like norwegian foods, im not a fan of lutefisk but regular smoked whitefish is good depending on where it comes from. but i will be eating plenty of bluegill and walleye. i catch a ton of fish everytime i go but i always put the bass and northern pike back to preserve the good fishing. wisconsin is the best state in the whole country and i will do all i can to keep it that way,

big thanks to larry cargill who has sold me some hard to get miscelaneous parts. he is a truely great guy. buy his book even if your a master mechanic. trust me you will learn something.

thanks for the support!

66 harley-stolen

78 yamaha xs750-sold

89 suzuki gs850-sold

kawi 450 dirtbike-stolen

Don't kow if your close enough, but Steven's Point brewery is a nice stop, and there is a great restaurant by Silver Lake Wisconsin called "The Moose Supper club" I recommend the steak and ribs combo. If you are a beer drinker find yourself some "Fat Tire" beer...very tasty.
    81 GL500 SilverWing Interstate

if all goes well i will be pulling another gl500 out of the trash pile when i get back. i asked the guy who owns the place to hold on to them for me.

66 harley-stolen

78 yamaha xs750-sold

89 suzuki gs850-sold

kawi 450 dirtbike-stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
    Don't kow if your close enough, but Steven's Point brewery is a nice stop, and there is a great restaurant by Silver Lake Wisconsin called "The Moose Supper club" I recommend the steak and ribs combo. If you are a beer drinker find yourself some "Fat Tire" beer...very tasty.

been there and fat tire is my favorite beer i also love thier 1554 black ale thats good too. mmmmmmm now thats some tasty beer

66 harley-stolen

78 yamaha xs750-sold

89 suzuki gs850-sold

kawi 450 dirtbike-stolen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors