Honda CX 500 Forum banner

New England Fall Rally This Year

26K views 161 replies 18 participants last post by  richnct 
#1 ·
Sometime mid September we'll be opening the cabin in Brookfeld, Vt for three days for the every other year fall rally. Nice time to ride the rural roads of New England and chew the fat on the porch looking over the valley. The families are back from their driving vacations and the leaf peepers are not out yet. The early fall weather can be energizing. Food and lodging back in the hills off the main roads, always a good time for the dozen or so chaps who can find it. 'Lectricity, running water, casual not fancy. I'm thinking of recruiting the same cook as previous years. Chip in for groceries, no other costs on site. Generally can count on touching a turbo and an E or two at this one. Come meet new friends and see old timers too (some in disguise). I and a few friends will be there, we don't care if you come or not, heh heh. HTTA Rallys started in Vermont, lo those many years ago. Exact weekend, location and other details TBA as interest waxes.

#62 ·
Worlds Record Set by HTTA at Fall Rally
The evening before we'd gotten consensus, the Kancamangus Highway in the New Hampshire White Mountains it would be. A sunny day with temps reaching the mid 70s was forecast and 8:30 would be departure time. Friday morning after a hearty breakfast we were ready for the six hour ride. It was a bit cool initially, but except for the five miles of fog and cold approaching the Connecticut river valley the riding was comfortable. With a fair distance ahead of us, spirited riding was the order of the day. Flying low across Vermont by many family farms on Rt 302 and into New Hampshire at Woodsville, we turned onto Rt 112 through the mountains. The twisty road traced a rocky river for part of the way, into the National Forest. The road surface improved and the riding was exilarating. Traffic? What traffic? The road was ours for the most part. Down into Lincoln's magic mile of tourism and a coffee stop at Dunkin Donuts. It was only 10:30, so Dave and I suggested that we could include the summit of Mt Washington if there was any interest. There was, and off we went, past the kilted traffic controllers at the Scottish Highlander event, up to Kancamangus Pass through the twisting eastbound route, then down the sweepers on the other side to the turn onto Bear Notch Pass, another fantastic mountainous road with virtually no traffic. Cruising up Rt 16 to the Mt Washington Auto Road we had numerous views of the 6,200+ ft summit ahead of us. The auto road is very twisty and a bit narrow at places. Also gravel for a ways up high. Eight miles of up, up and away! Not for the faint of heart on a motorcycle I might add. The day was crystal clear, not an easily assumed condition at the top of the highest peak in NE USA. While there it occured to me that two CX650 Eurosports had undoubtedly never been at the summit at the same time before! Clearly World Record material I thought. Another first by the HTTA! Incidently, all five of the bikes on this ride were 650s! A CX650C, two GL650s and two CX650Es. After a half hour at the summit it was down, down and more down with the engines faithfully restraining us for the eight miles to Rt 16. Looping around on Rt 302 in NH through more National Forest then south through Franconia Notch and back to reverse Rt 112 toward Vermont. Goodbye to the White Mtns and their beautiful motorcycle roads. Another pleasant trip half way across the Green Mountain state into the low sun which did cause us some difficulties, a few more twisty roads and then back to the cabin. Several more members had arrived in our absence and had taken some in-state rides under the guidance of local talent name of Gandalf. There having been no serious damage to riders or machines, a few bottles and cans were opened and the tales began to unwind while the cook tortured dinner. A fine day by all accounts, and another waiting on tomorrow's dawn. Rich, Ernie, Dave, Kevin and Bill from CT, Paul from NY, Jim from NJ, Steve and Joe from PA and Gandalf from Vt. It's a shame more riders from MA, VT, NH and ME weren't there, it was a one tank ride for many members.

#63 ·
worlds record set by htta at fall rally
the evening before we'd gotten consensus, the kancamangus highway in the new hampshire white mountains it would be. A sunny day with temps reaching the mid 70s was forecast and 8:30 would be departure time. Friday morning after a hearty breakfast we were ready for the six hour ride. It was a bit cool initially, but except for the five miles of fog and cold approaching the connecticut river valley the riding was comfortable. With a fair distance ahead of us, spirited riding was the order of the day. Flying low across vermont by many family farms on rt 302 and into new hampshire at woodsville, we turned onto rt 112 through the mountains. The twisty road traced a rocky river for part of the way, into the national forest. The road surface improved and the riding was exilarating. Traffic? What traffic? The road was ours for the most part. Down into lincoln's magic mile of tourism and a coffee stop at dunkin donuts. It was only 10:30, so dave and i suggested that we could include the summit of mt washington if there was any interest. There was, and off we went, past the kilted traffic controllers at the scottish highlander event, up to kancamangus pass through the twisting eastbound route, then down the sweepers on the other side to the turn onto bear notch pass, another fantastic mountainous road with virtually no traffic. Cruising up rt 16 to the mt washington auto road we had numerous views of the 6,200+ ft summit ahead of us. The auto road is very twisty and a bit narrow at places. Also gravel for a ways up high. Eight miles of up, up and away! Not for the faint of heart on a motorcycle i might add. The day was crystal clear, not an easily assumed condition at the top of the highest peak in ne usa. While there it occured to me that two cx650 eurosports had undoubtedly never been at the summit at the same time before! Clearly world record material i thought. Another first by the htta! Incidently, all five of the bikes on this ride were 650s! A cx650c, two gl650s and two cx650es. After a half hour at the summit it was down, down and more down with the engines faithfully restraining us for the eight miles to rt 16. Looping around on rt 302 in nh through more national forest then south through franconia notch and back to reverse rt 112 toward vermont. Goodbye to the white mtns and their beautiful motorcycle roads. Another pleasant trip half way across the green mountain state into the low sun which did cause us some difficulties, a few more twisty roads and then back to the cabin. Several more members had arrived in our absence and had taken some in-state rides under the guidance of local talent name of gandalf. There having been no serious damage to riders or machines, a few bottles and cans were opened and the tales began to unwind while the cook tortured dinner. A fine day by all accounts, and another waiting on tomorrow's dawn. Rich, ernie, dave, kevin and bill from ct, paul from ny, jim from nj, steve and joe from pa and gandalf from vt. It's a shame more riders from ma, vt, nh and me weren't there, it was a one tank ride for many members.
jack

#71 ·
"OOPS just realized this was last year."
And next year I expect. It's been every odd numbered year for a while now. Brookfield, Vt is the rally base, sometime in September 2015.

#73 ·
Sorry Gene, didn't know you were awake! BTW, I'll need some info so's we can contact you from VMD in July. "Here at trackside this afternoon we're talking with Mr. Vintage MC rider himself, Gene M. from GA, via videolink." For those who don't know Gene, he's the oldest (living) ST1100 sidecar driver in the WORLD! Gene, you can send me how to contact you at motorcycleguyDOT rich AT gmail dot COM, I'll reciprocate.

Reactions: fogelsvillejoe
#74 ·
Time to set the dates for the New England Odd Year Rally. Sept 18-19-20, 2015. I'll be opening the cabin the evening of Thursday, Sept 17, anyone is welcome to roll in from 6:00 PM on. It's in Brookfield, VT, address details to follow. Beds, couches, rugs for sleeping, indoor bath/shower with hot water, outdoor loo without, kitchen, heat, "fireplace", two porches, ride in basement for emergency repairs, basic tools, compressed air, drill press type stuff in the shop. You need to bring your own: bedding or sleeping bag, personal toiletries, towel. Pretty much the rest is there. Plenty of room for camping or ARRRVEEES, 120 volt power cord hookup possible. It's a low key, inexpensive rally to enjoy the fall in Vermont. Breakfast & dinner are usually cooked onsite. The families have finished their traveling vacations, kids are back in school, the leaf peepers aren't out yet, the roads are ours for the most part! Anybody has a pic from past odd years it would be welcome here. In the meantime, see you in PA!

Reactions: gandalf
#78 ·
Gandalf, I was hoping these posts would find you somewhere in the middle kingdom! I look forward to seeing you again. A refreshing pic on these dog daze of August.

#79 ·
A few guidelines to help you plan for the New England Rally: There are some beds, a couch, a few carpets on floors. Plenty of camping space too, even for ARVEES, trailers, etc. Bring a sleeping bag or blanket, personal toiletries, favorite beverage (VT has easily available beer/etc access, any store). We do breakfast and dinner at the cabin usually, Kevin and I cook (others are welcome to help) and if you wish something other than family style diner food, bring whatever is necessary to meet your special dietary restrictions. In order to have approximately enough food on hand, I request you let me know if you intend to come. We put out a donation can for food expenses, it usually covers it okay. Donate when you leave is fine. Accomodations are no cost. There will be coffee/tea, good well water and popcorn for general consumption. Mid September it gets dark a little earlier and is cooler, so by dinner time we have usually retreated to the hearth with a beverage and left the bikes to cool down. Stores, gas and restaurants are 10-15 miles away for the most part, keep that in mind. The camp is in a rural area, some neighbors, few lights or sounds at night, 2-1/2 miles from asphalt on a very well maintained "natural road".
Cabin opens early Thursday evening 9/17/15 and closes Sunday whenever I'm the last dude around. Various planned rides and destinations will be available for the group(s) to select from. Miss this and it's two years until the next one.
Nice enough views from the porches, this is intended to be a low key, low cost event for attendees. We have drive-in basement workshop for repairs, reasonably equipped. Cabin has electricity, heat, wood fireplace, hot water, shower, flush equipment and a basic kitchen. Folks who come, come back.

#80 ·
Calling all New England CX/GL Riders! If you have ever thought that PA is too far away, this is YOUR RALLY. A tank of gas will get you here from anywhere in New England. Cheap food, free sleeping, 45-50 mpg, great motorcycle comraderie! Hell, you can do this one on your kids (or grandkids?) allowance. Come one, come all. Meet up with a buddy or two enroute and the rally starts for you hours before you even get to Brookfield, VT.

#82 ·
It's going to be September, no shame in trailering your bike! Just saying. I've got a lot of interest from my Connecticut MC group, Bro Dave and Bro Steve, bro'law Ernie, Kevin and I. Everybody is looking forward to a few days of Vermont motorcycling along with breakfasts and evenings of MC comraderie. Come for a day, come for a stay. Last Rally on our calendar this year.

#84 ·
Sept 18-19-20, 2015..................And of course i'm.... "ON CALL"...............................:BangHead:

#86 ·
Nice pic, if you look real closely I think you can see me at the treeline taking a wizz. Joe, I like FireBall!

#88 ·
Yah, who else you know what you can see his "hot dog" from a satellite????:grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.