Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    My wife gave me the 'okay' to look for another bike. I know I want an '08 (Second gen) or newer KLR 650. They're inexpensive, bullet-proof, easy to maintain and I like to get off the pavement where/when possible. I'll be keeping the CX for a while and may put an antique plate on it just to cut down my costs, but I'm still riding it for the time-being. I realized that I ultimately was not comfortable on the CX compared to the KLR (I've been riding my friend's KLR almost every day for 2 weeks) and since my motorcycle is my only transportation, I should be comfortable.

If you know anyone selling one, let me know. For now, though, I'll be sticking around here. I've learned a lot from this forum and hope to continue to for a while. But I am excited about a change.
    1982 CX500 Custom

2008 Kawasaki KLR650

------

Previous ride:

1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR

Guess that's not a popular comment 'round these parts.
    1982 CX500 Custom

2008 Kawasaki KLR650

------

Previous ride:

1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR

Lots of people change but they usually keep a cx/gl. We're more excited for the day you put a new one in your yard than the decision.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

I missed riding in the woods too, so I recently got a 96 XR200RT with a street legal kit on it. Sure was an expensive experience when all totalled up with taxes, license, title transfer, insurance, inspection, $60 in gas to go get it 260 miles distant, plus parts to restore it the way I wanted. A KLR 650 would be to big and heavy for the places I want to ride. A 250 would be faster but the 200 has the edge in tight stuff, particlarly if you have to pick it up on a side hill.

You might want to join these forums: http://www.thumpertalk.com/

http://www.4strokes.com/

http://advrider.com

Let me know when you pull your first groin muscle.
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

Well, maybe a picture will help.

This is the one I'm currently looking at. It's an '08 with 2400 miles on it.

Thanks for the forum suggestions. I've been on ADV for a bit, but I don't post much.
    1982 CX500 Custom

2008 Kawasaki KLR650

------

Previous ride:

1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR

I guess the question is where are you going with all that luggage?

I rode a 1991 Klr250 off and on for a while when my brother had it. Then he ran it dry of oil and melted the head.

It was pretty nimble on back woods trails and fun in the sand pit.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

I may take the panniers off for daily use but I actually carry quite a few belongings with me, so I might not. I'd like to leave my rain suit and an extra pair of socks and shoes (in case I get wet) in one of the panniers and the trunk (which I already have) I can use for my daily junk, coffee, lunch, paperwork, Nalgene, bike cover, etc. And I suppose the other pannier I can keep some extra tools in, so I could potentially make use of the luggage pretty well. My wife also sends me quite a few small grocery lists throughout the week to get on my way home.

It also has all of this stuff on it some of which is excessive, but hey, oh well. So the guy put probably $1200-1500 into it and installed it all and the price ($4500) doesn't really reflect these add-ons when considering it's a low-mileage bike:

- lowered 1"
    - Hot Grips heated grips-US made
    - Eagle Mike bar backs
    - Caribou luggage w/pelican cases + top case
    - Scottoiler
    - HT brake cyl protector
    - Custom Dynamics LED tag frame
    - Hyper Lites
    - LED tailight
    - Stebel Magnum horn
    - Eagle Mike Doohicky kit installed (KLR speak for the b
    alancer chain adjuster lever that frequently goes bad and which Kaw hasn't done anything about)

- Progressive fork springs
    - redirection muffler mod

One additional point is that a bike is now my only form of transportation aside from hitching rides and the bus. Sold my car on Saturday and so in some ways I need my motorcycle to be as versatile and reliable as possible. The CX is a great, great machine, but I'm not a great mechanic and I've had a my share of issues (most of which I am grateful for due to the learning experience).

The KLR 250 is a fun bike for sure. That stinks that it got fouled up.
    1982 CX500 Custom

2008 Kawasaki KLR650

------

Previous ride:

1982 Kawasaki KZ305 CSR

Nice looking bike. I like the luggage, as far as I'm concerned the more the better. I'd probably remove the top case for daily use though.

I'd bet that with a good going through and replacement/upgrade of essential parts (Ignitech, better front brakes, etc) the CX would be extremely reliable with good performance though. Most of the upgrades aren't difficult: carb cleaning for instance is best outsourced to Larry, and the new Ignitech is plug and play. New brakes are somewhat more difficult but not outside the difficulty level for an intermediate mechanic under the guidance of someone with experience.

You know you're a lucky sucker. I like having cars and trucks but the truck gets horrible gas mileage and sounds loud because the flanges at the catalytic converter are rusting off. $250 to fix. 12-18mpg. $300 to insure for the year and hasn't moved more than 20 miles since Easter. Put on 2,000 miles last year and 1000 of that was recovering a motorcycle.

If it weren't for winter months and overlapping work schedules between Melody and I for 1 month where snow may fall I would just give the truck away.

I smell what your stepping in stitch. My truck went from one drivewAy to the other since late April. Ball joints bad. I'm getting more use from my cx this year than the previos 2 combined. Helps that it has been great riding whether.

Hey mava,

Good luck with the new bike.
    1981 cx500custom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors