burned!
Close

Thread: burned!

Just wasted half a day and $100. in gas driving to the South Dakota border to look at a "elderly gentleman owned" "barn find" from (you guessed it) Craigslist.

It was a dud.

Also wasted a free pass to brorow the neighbor's trailer in the process.

To top it off, got a $135. speeding ticket on my way back.

73 in a 55 with nothing but empty prairie all around except for the State trooper coming head-on being tailed by a semi so that I did not see her until it was too late to tap the brakes, so I tried coasting intead but to no avail.

Know what?

I can deal with it because you don't catch any fish unless you go fishin'.
    The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '83 VT500FT Ascot, '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

Lame! Would the engine not turn? Well at least you didn't buy it...woulda been a double burn..except maybe you would have been driving slower on the way back. Dealing with old bikes is always a gamble :/
    79 CX500 Custom (G8 & Ignitech), 78 CX500D 19k parts bike currently all parts for sale, PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Just wasted half a day and $100. in gas driving to the South Dakota border to look at a "elderly gentleman owned" "barn find" from (you guessed it) Craigslist.

It was a dud.

Also wasted a free pass to brorow the neighbor's trailer in the process.

To top it off, got a $135. speeding ticket on my way back.

73 in a 55 with nothing but empty prairie all around except for the State trooper coming head-on being tailed by a semi so that I did not see her until it was too late to tap the brakes, so I tried coasting intead but to no avail.

Know what?

I can deal with it because you don't catch any fish unless you go fishin'.

Sounds like theres more to this story- like, its a barn find. What exactly were you expecting? Was it a basket case where someone had gutted the thing from years before and tried to put the rear wheel on the forks or what? Was there any pictures on the ad on CL or was it one of those "will be posting pics soon" kinda thing? I'm just curious- TT
    1981 CX500C

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, here's the story:

two poor quality photos that did not show detail very well; the guy was the owner's father who got stuck with storing it in his barn since 1995 when his son, the original owner, moved to Montana; he was a retired matallurgical engineer who was adamant about how good he took care of his machinery; he had it carb cleaned by a local mechanic recently but couldn't remember his name and phone number; he had to sell it this week or his son was coming down in his pickup to get the bike and take it to sell in Montana; so I took the bait.

I showed up with cash and trailer and started the bike, which actually ran okay, but it showed a lot, and I mean a lot more wear and tear than I was hoping for, so I decided it was worth only half what he wanted, and I could tell he was digging his heels in on price, so I simply walked away from it and drove off.

They had it listed as a 1985 500RX, which I had myself convinced meant they maybe had a diamond in the rough without knowing it.

I do not think they were scamming me, I think I scammed myself with wishful thinking, which is not really thinking at all.
    The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '83 VT500FT Ascot, '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

aw man hate to hear it.

sometimes craigslist is awesome and other times it turns out to be a dud.. or place you in some seriously shady neighborhoods... lol

and true that, you cant catch any fish if you dont go fishing

Out of curiosity if you dont mind telling as i like to get an over all idea of whats selling for what. What was his asking price?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    aw man hate to hear it.

sometimes craigslist is awesome and other times it turns out to be a dud.. or place you in some seriously shady neighborhoods... lol

and true that, you cant catch any fish if you dont go fishing

Out of curiosity if you dont mind telling as i like to get an over all idea of whats selling for what. What was his asking price?
    It was a stretch for me but he listed it for $1100. and agreed over the phone to sell it for $1000. but I would only go for $500. since it had a good seat and a good running engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It was a stretch for me but he listed it for $1100. and agreed over the phone to sell it for $1000. but I would only go for $500. since it had a good seat and a good running engine.

this is sorta the way I got mine for 500... The PO wanted 1100 or maybe 1200. ( for a running heap of barn decor ) I told him what I would give and gave him my #. It took him 1 hour to decide to sell it. he delivered it from 75mi away... Maybe yours will come around eventually

82 CX500c

SPRINT... the worst cell phone company ever IMHO.

Water under the bridge. I've got a line on a better one already and am always looking anyway. Trick is to keep an eye out. Hope to find one soon as I am ready to button up my bike after some deep cleaning and need something to work on the rest of the off season.

Sponsored Links