Dang!!!! Wore out my 3rd drive train. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hi Knute, yeah chain is a lot cheaper ,and available. Haven't found a retro fit kit yet either, looked at buying a Dymamic bike myself but could not talk my self into the price range. Got a Asama ,Sea to sky, for about 500 instead ,24 speed, disc brakes , front shocks ,aluminum frame and to save my back a body floater seat post. At 56 just wanted someting more comfortable and not wornout and obselete, vain attempt at staying in shape.Do agree with that video Murray posted 24 gears is way to many gears for my riding style. Well time to make stuff happen ,cheers Gerard
    current bikes,
    1983 CX650e
    1981 Gl500i
    Shiny up Rubber Down

This is a simple bike for commuting to work and around town with the occasional long distance excursion.

Bike cost was 1500 CNY (about $230 USD). All steel construction, 26" wheels, front shock, 21 speeds, disc brakes. Everthing is Shimano. This is a Mountain bike that has been converted to an Inbred Commuter. Added fenders, rack, headlight, taillights, battery & solar panel to charge. Next addition is a compact air horn.

Roads and terrain are harsh. Just daily commuting is filled with many road obstacles and hazards. Then the traffic: bus, trucks, people, bikes, scooters, 3 wheelers, wrong ways, fork lifts, front end loaders, cranes, bulldozer (2 weeks ago, rumbling along the road), water spray trucks, sweeper trucks, cell phoners (worst of all)........

Dont want a high end bike. Theft is common. I'm on my 3rd padlock. The first 2 were Chinese locks, both had attempts to open them. Much damage and near saw through. I think both attempts were interupted. I now have an orange Kryptonite lock. No, further attempts. To make the bike less attactive, it has never been cleaned, paint damage is obvious, pedals show wear thru on paint.......its not an attractive bike. I always park it near a better looking bike. Just giving potetial theif a choice. I also changed out the Quick Relase wheel locks for solid axles,more difficult for a theif to remove the wheel. Mechanically, it remains is top condition. Its just needing another drive train. I wear out the drive train about every 1500-2000 km.
    Last edited by Knute; 12-27-2016 at 07:31 PM.
    1981 CX500C

Hi Knute,
    1500 to 2000k is why i have stayed with the CX /Gl and sold my CBX550f hate chain maintence. Dont ride the bicycle enough to wear chains out like you are doing, last bike went 20 years on the orginal chain. Well be safe and have a happy new year ! Gerard
    current bikes,
    1983 CX650e
    1981 Gl500i
    Shiny up Rubber Down

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well. Its been 5 months since my last bike accident. That changed this morning on my commute to work.

Got side swiped with the driver's door.

Bike/Rider down. No damage to bike or rider. Rider has sustained a minor bruise.

Oh well.......another day in China traffic.
    1981 CX500C

Uggh! I always dread the possibility of being "doored" by parked cars. Glad you're OK. As I was reading through this post, I thought of this handy device I use for cleaning my manually powered "two piston" powered bike chain I ride in Minnesota winters. The salt they put out to melt the snow and ice around here do dreadful things to the drivetrain of my winter mountain bike. Every couple of weeks I thoroughly clean my chain with this and then re-grease. It definitely helps extend the life of the chain a bit. Here's a link.

Professional Chain Scrubber | Park Tool

Stay safe!
    '72 CB 350
    Looking for GL 500/650

Umm.....not parked.

Car was making RH turn onto the one way, failed to look. I couldn't swerve left because of bus.......

Choice was hit by bus or side swiped by driver's door or mashed in between. Fortunately, the bus driver saw it and moved left. Otherwise he would have mashed the bike and possibly my leg.

The woman driver stopped, tried to blame me. Bus driver stopped also and multiple by standers saw the incident. She quickly realized she F'd up.

I need to learn how to ask in Chinese, "Are you blind or just stupid?"

I got to get my compact air horn installed. A task long overdue.
    1981 CX500C

你是盲人还是只是愚蠢?

Nǐ sh́ mángrén háish́ zhǐsh́ yúchǔn?
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links