Prescriptive vs. Descriptive---a guide to nit picking :) - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Prescriptive vs. Descriptive---a guide to nit picking :)

Back the the "hone in" vs. "home in" mentioned above. Great example, Chili. In parsing, one might be easily confused. And from the source Dictionary.com, we see this:
    Does a plane home in on a target or hone in on it? Does a musician hone her skills or home them? Are these two verbs interchangeable or do they have discrete meanings? Today we explore the origins and uses of hone and home.

Hone entered English as a noun for a pointed rock used as a landmark. In the 1400s, it began to be used in reference to a whetstone for sharpening razors and other cutting tools. A few centuries later, hone picked up the verb meaning “to sharpen on a hone.” The sharpening element took figurative shape in the now widely used verb sense from the early 1900s: “to make more acute or effective; improve; perfect.” This is the sense invoked when we talk of improving one’s skills, as in “The pianist honed his articulation with hours of practice.”
    The word home also entered English as a noun; it first referred to a dwelling, house, or shelter. In the mid-1800s it began to be used as a verb meaning “to go or return home,” popping up frequently in discussion of homing pigeons. In the early 1900s, home picked up the more specific sense of “to proceed, especially under control of an automatic aiming mechanism, toward a specified target, as a plane, missile, or location.”
    So the simple answer is that a person, bird, or aircraft homes in on a target, but a person hones his or her skills. Style guides urge writers to observe this distinction and avoid using hone in altogether. The not-so-simple answer is that the meaning of a word is dictated by its usage, and people use these terms in overlapping and sometimes fused ways. As a result, some dictionaries include a definition of hone that borrows the target theme from home: “to focus attention on an objective.” And some include a definition home that is synonymous with hone.
    Nevertheless, to keep your writing clean and clear, it is a good idea to steer clear of hone in.
    A few more examples popped on the page when I was rooting around.

May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Many words are commonly used incorrectly because they sound similar to the correct word. That does not make the incorrect usage correct. Home/hone is a good example of this. You will note in the above quote that all of the correct derivations are related to the original meaning in some way.

Also, when it comes to technical terms we need to remember that, while the people who write dictionaries study word usage in the general population, even the best of them is not likely to be literate in all technical fields so they frequently mis-define technical words that they don't really understand according to incorrect assumptions based on common usage.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

I just came across another common mis-use: Many non-technical people think that any electrical problem is a "short" when in fact most of them turn out to be opens instead.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hah, here is a funky twist just found in another thread.

Wikipedia states:
    Not to be confused with Murphy's law.
    Muphry's law is an adage that states: "If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written."[1] The name is a deliberate misspelling of Murphy's law.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

I wonder if someone came up with that one to mess with the heads of the illiterate? It is a pretty bad pun, though....
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Never passing up a chance to be pedantic (or is it didactic?), here are a few nits epidemic to this forum:

1. "Its" (meaning belonging to it) versus it's (short for "it is")

2a. "There" meaning over in that location
    2b. "They're" meaning they are
    2c. "Their" meaning belonging to them

and of course

3a. "To" meaning in the direction of, or to set up a verb, ex. "to be or not to be", "to clean your carbs, get Larry's book"
    3b. "Too" meaning also, or an excessive quantity of the following adjective, ex. "too hot"
    3c. "Two" meaning 1+1

4. Use of 's to denote plural, ex. tire's
    I've had lengthy discussions with my son, an editor in a Chicago publishing house, about when it's correct to use an apostrophe with an s to indicate plurality of some item, for example when the item is an acronym or abbreviation or just a single character, and the answer is, almost never. How many Ds in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or How many D's in Rudolph....
    A pompous and cowardly writer (myself included) would evade this quandary by asking "How many instances of the letter D in Rudolph ...."
    1979 CX500 Custom, "Malaria", pronounced "mala-REE-ah"

Prior bikes I wish I still owned:
    1965 Ducati 250 Monza
    1973 Kawasaki H1E 500cc triple
    1968 Honda CL450K1 scrambler
    1984 Kawasaki KZ700A
    For something completely different, look me up on YouTube under "muttbert"
    Full-service misanthrope and curmudgeon
    One of the great unanswered questions: Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

they multiply faster than brewers yeast
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

You all should be in the engineering, technical meetings discussing test results with a mixture of Chinese, Americans, Brits, Aussies with the uncommon language of Chinglish.

I remember the Chinese students when I was in college. They would natter away in Chinese whether there was someone present who didn't speak it or not and you couldn't figure out a word they said except the odd "transistor" Resistor" "capacitor" or similar.

The Gr eek guys were the opposite. As soon as someone they didn't know for sure spoke G reek came into the room they switched to English without missing a beat. I asked a couple of them about it and they told me if they didn't and their mothers found out they would be in huge trouble...
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

I have a particularly nails on chalkboard shiver every time I see a word that ends in "s's" as in Jones's. s's is always wrong. It should be Jones' if posessive or Joneses if plural.
    Welcome to the Apostrophe Protection Society

Then there's this
    chilimac and OCR like this.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links