Blasting Media with Cheap Blaster - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilfool View Post
    How about a home-made version?
    Home made version? As per my post, I just bought one, why would I make one?
    1979 Honda CX500 Standard - Currently stock and not running
    Goal - Cafe Racer with spoked wheels, air pods, straight through exhaust, Dodge black-gold pearl
    CX500 Manuals - Cleaned up and Corrected

I've seen nozzles for sale, but, from what's on the Q&A for that portable blaster I got, none fit. Not sure if that's true or not, could be a case of Princess Auto's online support not knowing and saying no to be safe. Ideally I'd like to change the nozzle and use Soda. Environmentally safe, and after a rain fall it's gone. Walnut is my 2nd choice for about the same reason. Walnut grit is better than the full sized walnuts we have falling out of trees and hitting the cars.

I work with appliances, so, plan is to get an oven or washing machine box, cut half of one side out, put a small table inside and blast away. All the stuff at the bottom I'll probably reuse. First job is to clean my car rims. Mostly brake dust and a few blemishes on the surface, probably clean and plasti-dip them the aluminum/silver colour. Not polished now anyways just need them cleaned for painting and my small pressure washer isn't strong enough. After that, I want to clean/paint the engine on the bike. Bike is basically rust free because sat in a barn in 1989 so, mostly just cleanup.

Car though, few spots of rust need dealt with, for which I'll need something more aggressive.

Princess auto sells 50lb bags of crushed glass (20/30 or 30/60 grit) for $10. Copper slag for about $15. Walnut $40. Soda $80. Steel and the Aluminum is like $100. I'd rather stay on the cheap end of things.

So, Walnut for Aluminum is ok... what would glass do? I saw a YouTube video doing aluminum, and came out looking like a rough textured satin finish which was kinda nice. Too bad no before/after chart of different metals with different media used.

For the car, few heavy rusted spots I guess the copper slag?
    Goal - Cafe Racer with spoked wheels, air pods, straight through exhaust, Dodge black-gold pearl

Like I said, the copper slag works well on steel. I don't expect to try the crushed glass (Greengrit) until I use up the copper slag. I don't see any harm in adding some of either to my driveway or even to my lawn in the quantities I am likely to use.

There used to be a sandblasting place up the road from where I worked. He used copper slag almost exclusively and his whole yard was covered with a thick layer of it. He retired a few years ago and a truck inspection outfit bought the property; I was past there on Monday and it still looks flat, smooth & black, just like freshly paved.
    BTW: The sandblaster told me I could shovel some of it into a bucket to take home to use on ice (my driveway has quite a slope). When that runs out I will have to find another sandblasting place

Note that there is a big difference between crushed glass and glass beads. I would be interested to see how crushed glass works on aluminum but I don't expect it would be much different from regular sand, which produces a rough surface similar to the copper slag except a little finer.

FWIW, the $6 hose/gun assembly has been shipped (from China - no surprise there) and is expected some time during April, well before I will be using my blaster again the way higher priority jobs are piling up around here.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh China... I gotta say, it's great on eBay sometimes because so much stuff from there dirt cheap and free shipping, but lately, I've had so much stuff never show up.

Drives me nuts too when you buy from Amazon and after you place the order, you find out the stuff ships from China. :S

Copper slag is cheap, which is great because so am I... I'll probably give that a try on the car rust.

My concern is the alloy rims, don't want to damage the surface of those, but, same time, never been a fan of them and plan to plasti-dip so may give the finer crushed glass a try. CX500 engine, I want to pant black and sand the fins/edges to show the metal so, I guess doesn't need to be a totally smooth finish. Again, I hate polished metal and chrome... everything on this bike will be a satin/matte finish with exception of the paint.

Going back to an old post... I wonder if the copper slag will do a good job on the mufflers. Or would it put too much of a texture on the chrome? I want to paint those flat black, and planned to hand sand them and rough them up but hey... if that porta-blaster works, I'd rather go that route.

Time for a diversion, but related story. Following a successful graduation from high school I started my further education at a state A&P (aircraft) school. In the shop we had a really cool restored P-51 in sky blue for a engine R&R which I was permitted to sit in (once), but I digress. A Piper cub had been in the shop for a couple of years I was told, for a total engine and frame restore. A fellow first year student (I swear it wasn't me!) was given the task of walnut shell blasting the Cub's aluminum pistons. The shop had two blasters in the rear room, one glass, one walnut shell. Many of you know where this story is going. By the time the student had ruined the pistons in the glass blaster his supervising 3rd year student came by and saw the loss, to his dismay. Take your plane to a school for work only when cost is the ONLY and overriding consideration and you have a high tolerance for risk, that's my advice still 48 years later! In case anyone is wondering, I did not complete my education there, but went on to be an electrician instead, and only did sandblasting as a hobby.
    Sure, I'm crazy, but life is more interesting that way!

'76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650 E,T (sold the C)

Best thing to blast frames and such I've done is get an old tent and blast inside of it. Then you can recollect your media. You're wearing the protective stuff anyway blasting outside (you should be if you aren't). This makes it more reclaimable.
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

Quote Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    Oh China... I gotta say, it's great on eBay sometimes because so much stuff from there dirt cheap and free shipping, but lately, I've had so much stuff never show up.

Drives me nuts too when you buy from Amazon and after you place the order, you find out the stuff ships from China.
    There was a G7 conference in Japan in the fall that apparently screwed up the mail all over Asia, although I have no idea why it would affect stuff sent from China to North America. There was also a news report about several containers of mail that were lost at sea (in December IIRC), all of which adds up to a lot of delayed or missing items. I have had refunds/reships from a bunch of sellers only to have the item arrive after more than 3 months. BUT items that I ordered in 2017 seem to be arriving in a reasonable time again.

Going back to an old post... I wonder if the copper slag will do a good job on the mufflers. Or would it put too much of a texture on the chrome? I want to paint those flat black, and planned to hand sand them and rough them up but hey... if that porta-blaster works, I'd rather go that route.
    I haven't tried it myself but I took a few things to the sandblaster I mentioned a few years ago. He was able to remove the chrome from my GoldWing's racks & crash bars and leave a nice texture for spraying with Rubberized Rockerguard (followed by primer & acrylic enamel) but when he used the slag on the somewhat rusty chromed headers they came back full of holes. I don't know whether that was because the slag run through his powerful equipment was too aggressive for steel that thin (but he did a lot of auto body parts) or because the rust was too deep but I had to replace them.

The thing to do would be try it on a part you don't need before doing the mufflers.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
    I just sanded my chrome pipes (on another bike) and flat blacked them. Worked great. Used 500 grit. I thought the blaster may be too aggressive. It's been 2 years and they still look new.
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links