Blasting Media with Cheap Blaster
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I bought one of these last summer dirt cheap on sale

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8506958e

Not used it yet because I work outside and well, Ontario in the winter isn't great to work in.

I don't have a big compressor, bought my first one last year as well, used, but it's pretty decent for the minor work I do. 26gal, 3HP max, 135PSI max. Put a filter/dryer on it.

Anyways. Looking to clean up some alloy rims on the car as well as the exterior of the engine and a little of the carbs for my CX500. I was going to soda blast, but, 50/50 reviews about that portable blaster working well with that media, so was going to use walnut, but in the Q&A I noticed someone say it's not good for that either unless you use a different nozzle, and when asked about nozzles of course none are available.

Was wondering, if anyone had this blaster and similar powered compressor... what do you use? Ever try walnut with it?

Q&A says "The blasting media recommended for use with this unit are aluminum oxide, copper slag, glass bead/grit, and steel shot. Other media can be used, but require higher pressures and/or larger nozzles."

Again, no other nozzles available so can't go that route. Being done in my driveway, likely make a temp blasting cabinet with an oven box so I can re-use the media. I like the idea of walnut because what gets in the lawn can stay there... glass, copper slag etc... costs more and not as great for cleanup.

Oh I'll also mention, I hate chrome and polished metal, so if a certain media leaves things with a nice satin finish, I'd be happy with that. Thanks.
    Last edited by THRobinson; 03-21-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    1979 Honda CX500 Standard - Currently stock and not running
    Goal - Cafe Racer with spoked wheels, air pods, straight through exhaust, Dodge black-gold pearl
    CX500 Manuals - Cleaned up and Corrected

Probably will get blasted by saying this (pun intended) but I have had good results with one of those cheap blast nozzles that come with a rubber line and metal straw to stick into the medium.
    The medium is simply a bag of play sand that has been sifted thru a kitchen strainer to get all the pea gravel out which clogs the straw.
    Works good on steel and aluminum.
    Compressor needs to be able to sustain about 90 psi or so.
    Don't be an idiot !

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

That link took forever to load, I guess it had to go through customs......
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

How about a home-made version?
    81 GL500
    92 Nighthawk 750

Why do you post crap like that?
    Oh I understand the answer is in your screen name, FOOL

I bought one at the same time you did. I have been using it with the copper slag that I bought a few years ago to use in the small blaster for removing paint from steel. I did try it on something aluminum and it was way too aggressive for that. When I actually managed to get to a Princess store last fall I bought a bag of Greengrit (crushed glass) but I haven't tried it yet.

I usually do my blasting either on the driveway right in front of the garage or inside the garage with the door open and then sweep the debris out onto the driveway. I figure it will mix into the dirt/gravel and won't hurt anything. I probably should be collecting what I can of it though; it is the greatest thing to spread on ice on the driveway because not only does it provide excellent traction but being black it heats up in the sunlight and melts the ice almost as well as salt. That's OK when the abrasive is $10-12 per bag but you can bet that if I was using something like soda or glass beads or walnut shells ($40-80 per bag) I would be more interested in recovering it.

As for nozzles, I haven't looked at mine for months (its put away for winter) so I don't know what size or shape of nozzle fits the gun but here are a few places to look
    Princess has a number of them
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...lasting+nozzle

There are lots on eBay too
    blasting nozzle | eBay

As usual Amazon has less of a selection than eBay but when I saw this I couldn't resist buying one. With the shipping included it comes to $604 for a hose, gun and 4 assorted nozzles, which is less than the nozzles alone elsewhere
    https://www.amazon.ca/Sandblasting-T...blaster+nozzle

BTW: I saw a recent episode of Abandoned where he visited an abandoned copper mine somewhere in BC. There were huge piles of copper slag there and a couple who made their living loading it into boats for shipment out. The first thing I thought was that it was a waste product when the mine was in operation but it is a valuable commodity now.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

i just bought one of the simple stick-in-media units that i will be trying soon with soda and a cheap pancake low-cfm compressor. i purchased smaller nozzles from harbor freight for the soda. what i expect from my understanding is that i should be able to work in very short increments at around 100psi, but work none the less. ideally you want upwards of 12-14 scfm for blasting. also, on a 120v line you should only actually be able to run up to 2hp without other weird things going on.
    i jsut checked the math its about 2.4, minus efficiency
    im basically just saying dont expect your compressor to do what it says.

my reading about this shows me just how spoiled i was while working at a machine shop with air compressors the size of vans. [for work] i would sandblast non-stop for hours, while many other people were using air too, and not be even remotely concerned about pressure. my current net worth probably wouldn't afford that setup...
    Last edited by technodrive; 03-23-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    -1980 cx500c-
    -1981 gl500i-
    -1978 dt250-
    -1978 xl185s-
    -2000 jackal 1100-

[QUOTE=Sidecar Bob;632977]...As usual Amazon has less of a selection than eBay but when I saw this I couldn't resist buying one. With the shipping included it comes to $604 for a hose, gun and 4 assorted nozzles, which is less than the nozzles alone elsewhere...

Bob

$604 for that!

But at least you know someone is paying attention.
    Mike

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    1981 GL500 (Blackie) parts bike
    1983 GL650I (Big Red) parts bike
    198? CX500C (Adam) only a few parts left
    London, Ontario, Canada

I have that blaster, but the gray Harbor Freight version. I only use Walnut shell in it, just as it came and I have no issues with it. Soda works in it as well, you just use a ton of it with this thing. I just picked up a small blast cabinet this Christmas and I use it for soda and aluminum oxide.

I use the walnut shell on engine housings and frames and rims. It's not great for rust or heavy corrosion, but it's worked well enough. Walnut also isn't great for removing paint, as its soft overall.

Oh, and I have a 20 gal 2.5 HP compressor I use with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

[QUOTE=reclinedrelic;633593]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    ...As usual Amazon has less of a selection than eBay but when I saw this I couldn't resist buying one. With the shipping included it comes to $604 for a hose, gun and 4 assorted nozzles, which is less than the nozzles alone elsewhere...

Bob

$604 for that!

But at least you know someone is paying attention.
    $6.04 And that's Canadian Pesos too!!
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links