Electric M-bikes= the future of riding,,,? - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Electric M-bikes= the future of riding,,,?

It's all moot unless some moves are taken to reduce population or we will destroy this planet regardless.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Currently, the hydrogen available as fuel is being cracked off natural gas. It costs more energy to "create" this "green" fuel than what it delivers. Same is true for separation from water. This will not be economically viable.

The electrics only displace the combustion process to generate the power. It is also extremely inefficient as a means of power. Batteries will always be heavy, require frequent charging and have limited range. These things alone will keep electrics as a novelty or short range vehicle.

Pound for pound, liquid fuel will remain the most efficient and economically viable fuel from many many years.

Right now, the closest viable alternative is CNG or LPG for clean and economic fuel. But again, this requires a significant amount of energy to harvest, compress or liquefy.

Want to learn about how latest craze in batteries. Look up the processes and the energy required to make a "green" Li-ion battery. Here again, the true costs are hidden.

Granted bro, but with sea-water high tech cracking it free for all, the greed and regressive tendincys of the coal, gas, and petro fukhedz is holding up the future- get it goin' or giv it up,,, sorry to say, but greed and control politix suk!! B free, b heathy, be happy!
    CX650C- mostly stock re-paint, pix and avatar later,,, no hints please, I gotta figure it out,,,

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not too many non-profit companies in the energy business.

Seems pretty short sighted to expect a company to provide a product and not receive a profit. Sounds like a guaranteed path to bankruptcy. How does the company pay for the "high tech cracking" equipment without a profit on the end product?

If you really want to learn about greed. Take a dive into the cost of producing an iPhone (or any cell phone), then look at the sales price. Energy has a much lower profit margin.

I suspect you need more research and a bit less marketing hype.

BTW, I seriously doubt we are related. I have 3 siblings. One in California, one in Colorado and one in North Carolina. Parents deceased.
    Last edited by Knute; 04-07-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    obo515 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    Trouble is, the electricity to charge still has to be generated so E bikes aren't entirely green unless your local power is generated tidally, geothermally or from solar or other green power generation. Otherwise your E bike may be burning coal.

And the battery technologies are not exactly environmentally friendly either.

Much of this comes from Los Angeles where they call it green if the power generation and pollution occur elsewhere.

Electric vehicles seem to be late developers with the tech not hugely different to 100 years ago. Sure, there are frills like kinetic generation using braking effort but ....
    I heard a while back that if your electricity comes from a coal plant you are actually polluting less if you drive an ICE. And, I also agree that the production of most of the components involved in these electric vehicles are rather energy intensive, so not nearly as "green" as they would like to sell. However, in the long run, as long as you get cleanish electricity to the charger (wind, solar, hydro, nuke) the intensity of the production will be out weighed by the lack of pollution at the user end. This is given that you keep the vehicle for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute View Post
    Not too many non-profit companies in the energy business.

Seems pretty short sighted to expect a company to provide a product and not receive a profit. Sounds like a guaranteed path to bankruptcy. How does the company pay for the "high tech cracking" equipment without a profit on the end product?

If you really want to learn about greed. Take a dive into the cost of producing an iPhone (or any cell phone), then look at the sales price. Energy has a much lower profit margin.

I suspect you need more research and a bit less marketing hype.

BTW, I seriously doubt we are related. I have 3 siblings. One in California, one in Colorado and one in North Carolina. Parents deceased.
    I agree that there are little to no non-profit organizations out there in the energy business. People want to think that there person worth as a human is reflected by the amount of green in the bank. However, as is my understanding about the non-profit, or not for profit, goes, you can still make money for the high tech gear. The NPO's cannot make profit per se, but they can make money to cover salaries of employees, and also money to cover operating expenses. That said, if the operation requires a $5 million piece of equipment they can raise money to do so. The NPO cannot, however raise a certain amount over their needed costs, which would become profit. This is what I remember from my wife's speech the other day, anyway. I could have missed the boat on the true meaning of what she was saying.

On the subject of the old electric bikes. As one who has been involved in the aspect of developing a few. They are absolutely wonderful for commuting around town, city, work and back (given that you don't work too far from home), and short trips to the mailbox. These are the areas, in my opinion, that we need such technology. The stop and go world of everyday life, where my old bike spends more gas sitting at stop lights than actually progressing down the road. If you want to take a nice long haul across the county, state, or country, then you will still need a combustion engine. You can pick up a Zero, which gets about 100 to 150 miles per charge, but once you are 150 miles form home you will have to set for a couple hours before you can get back on your way. I think that this is the big issue that people look at when it comes to electric, but you have to look at them for what they are: "clean" short distant commuter bikes. A great alternative to the Honda Spree. I'm not knocking the Spree, I am just validating my thought by comparing the range you can go. It is much easier, and much quicker to fill a gas tank, but charging stations are popping up all over now, so you can plug in while you run errands, grab a coffee, go to an adult theatre, the list goes on. It comes down to the choice of breathable air vs. convenience and power.
    obo515 likes this.

Just did my home work on desalination and hydrogen separation and have a thought(look out),,, how about an electric bike burnin' hydrogen in a small turbine-generator and running hub-motor(s)? Can have 2WD for off-road On the current bikes available from Asia, is anyone aware if they meet all DOT/DMV regs so can get a plate once they arrive? My bro has checkd in Iowa and not much available from counter folks,,, Fed regs probably the standard. Seller he contacted sounded vague,,, so far,,,thanx folks! Of course the bikes will have certain amount of "Radar luv",,, such as collision avoidance on some models, and "self-honking horns" on all to alert critterz found to be in projected path ov vehicle,,,, lots of folks comment to me about stealth mode of hybrid carzzz and the "grow yer own" hydrogen plants( literally= bio digesters) gotta fit in ther sumplace,,,, peace and the turbine and motor cases will be made of sintered zirconium-dioxide,,, oopps,,,, gotta go- Elon Musk on the fone,,,
    Last edited by obo515; 04-07-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wikipedia
    CX650C- mostly stock re-paint, pix and avatar later,,, no hints please, I gotta figure it out,,,

To get back to e-bikes....I bought one.

I had been test driving them when they came to town; Livewire, Empulse, Zero; and they are all a blast! No way I was gonna pay $20k though
    But when Victory announced they were going out of business, I went to the local dealer the next day and got an 2016 Empulse TT for $5000.
    For $5k, I love it! Fast as hell, holds the road like glue, almost no maintenance and it gets attention.
    I love that here in TN where it rains all winter and spring, I can spot a break in the weather and just hop on and ride
    And it's great for campsites. Just plug in at night. The 110V takes several hours but the 240V/30A home charger only takes a few. And the 240/50A at the store or courthouse charges from in 90 min or less.

I'll never be without a few gasoline bikes but I'll never regret the $5k I spent on the decade of fun I'm likely to get out of my e-bike
    And maybe battery technology will advance enough to replace mine when they finally fail. (Right now the battery pack alone sells for $14k)

OK back to electrochemistry and the collusion of the power structure to obstruct real technological progress...

Name:  empulse.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  39.4 KB
    obo515 likes this.
    1980 CX500 Army
    1980 CX500 Scrambler (from Murray)
    1978 CX500
    2014 Honda CB500X
    2016 Victory Empulse TT (electric)
    1970 Honda S90Z (from Indonesia)
    1974 Suzuki GT380
    1985 Honda CMX250C Rebel

On a bike, no one ever asks "Are we there yet?".

Another note about metal sintering technology.

**Mod edit, incorrect linking for post format**
    Last edited by ramprat06; 04-08-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: improper linking

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links