Q: what things do you do to make your bike more sellable?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Q: what things do you do to make your bike more sellable?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but: if you have a bike and you were going to sell it on Craigslist what things would you do to give it "curb appeal"?
    1981 CX500C

Put something in the title that gets people's attention such as "motivated seller", "must sell", or "open to offers."

Be completely honest about the condition of the bike and write more than one sentence when describing it. There is nothing worse than going to look at a bike described as perfect that is junk in reality. Make sure to highlight the good things such as new tires or brakes. An oil change and fresh tune up are also good selling points. If it is on the road make sure it has a current state inspection.

Take lots of good quality pictures and make sure to wash and dry the bike before taking pictures.
    I am the king of recycled parts!

Currently own: 83 GL1100, 79 CX500, 81 GL500, 79 CB750, 75 CB500T hardtail Chopper, 83 GPZ1100 Dragbike

Quote Originally Posted by Trailltrader View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but: if you have a bike and you were going to sell it on Craigslist what things would you do to give it "curb appeal"?
    Don't forget the miles and asking price!
    Bob Witte, The Ghost of The Trinity Trike (Past)

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good points- When I took pic's the last time it was up against the apartment's- rather ugly background. Think I'll ride it down to the local ocean front or maybe lake front and get some pics to give it some "feel".

Moving from Washington State to Arkansas I need a garden tractor for 20 acres rather than the bike thats why.
    1981 CX500C

I find most people want a bike, stock and unmolested, even those like us that plan to molest it.

Try to repair or replace all negative points about the bike as to not deter anyone. Needs battery or carbs need cleaned is a turnoff.

I don't list anything negative in the ad. Once they are looking at the bike in person, falling in love with it, it'll be easier to pursued them pass the negatives, either with price or the beating of their heart.
    1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate Bobber Project

TT, a lawn tractor???

I figured you were finally worn out with the CXC and were jumpin' on a 650 Burgman.

Clean, Clean, Clean has been my motto for all selling. Amazing what a difference it makes to prospective buyers.
    1981 CX500 Custom

Marko, funny on washing my bike- I'm afraid to do that! Silly isn't it? I've been afraid to wash it because if I get water into the wiring then I've gotta figure out why it smoked and this way at least the dirt offers some protection. Bad luck or something- but yes, I'll be selling around April first- weather gets nice, pick up the trailer and sell them as a set. *Laughs* OH YEAH THIS HAS BEEN A GOOD DEAL! PUT IN $7000 AND 2 YEARS AND NOW I'LL BE LUCKY TO SELL IT AS A SET FOR 3500! Glad I haven't purchased any stocks!! Someone will get a kick ass bike- maybe I'll sell it on consignment down at my mechanics shop? Might not be a bad idea- he moves a lot of "iron" at pretty reasonable prices.
    1981 CX500C

Quote Originally Posted by Trailltrader View Post
    If the bike has a clean title and is registered in your name put that in the ad. Over the years I have inquired about many bikes only to find out that the seller is not the registered owner, the title has been "Misplaced", "Lost", or they did not get the title when they bought it. It seems like every state or province has their own rules about buying or selling vehicles so make sure you know what yours are.
    Golf is for those that can't play hockey!

82 GL500I

Having bought and sold motorcycles, cars, boats and even 2 RVs on eBay:
    1. Look at using eBay classified ads - they are free and get a better response than CL.
    2. Be sure to include if the bike is registered, inspected, and has a clean title.
    3. Clean the bike - you don't have to drown it w/ water - just wipe it down front to back.
    4. Take LOTS of pictures in a bright environment. Be sure to include CLOSEUPS of gauges, tires, tank, seat, and include all angles.
    5. Mention any flaws up front - and show them in pictures. (Being honest is better for everyone involved).
    6. Give as much history on the bike as you know.
    7. Require a deposit to hold the bike.
    8. LEAVE your telephone number! (You would be surprised how many people forget that!)
    9. Finally - remember to include MILEAGE, MAKE, MODEL, and YEAR.

Good Luck - Dave
    Dave

1982 Honda GL500 SilverWing Interstate, all stock except for:
    Tapered Steering Head Bearings, Tarozzi Fork Brace, Vance Trunk Extender,
    main 30-amp fuse modern upgrade & aftermarket voltmeter.

I have owned over a dozen classic japanese bikes since 1982,
    and have a website w/ some articles I've published HERE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links