Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Honda CX500 EC 1982 in London

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Pasty PFC 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I bought this bike in August 2013 to use as a winter hack. My circumstances have changed and with the prospect of a motorway commute I need something faired and bigger.

Before I advertise in anger I thought I would see what kind of response I'd get on here. I would be reassured that if it went to someone on here, it'd be cared for.

I will add a few details to the post soon...

If you are interested in viewing please PM me or call on 07854410179

#6 ·
Wow. That's awesome. Dig the bike Man. Too cool

#7 ·
This CX500 EC is perfect for a winter project to recondition as standard or would make a great cafe racer.

This bike is an excellent runner, I have used it daily for the last year commuting across London. When used regularly it will start first time every time and everything is working as it should including the electrics. This really is the most reliable and enduring bike I have owned. The bike was first registered in 1982 and as far as I know the 42,000 miles are genuine though of course I cannot guarantee their authenticity. The bike comes with a long MOT and tax until November this year.

Recent work done includes; new fork seals, new battery, rear brake rebuilt with new seals and the tyres are good. It has the 2-1 Motad exhaust system and the fluid levels are checked regularly.

The bad points are; a previous owner has painted it red (originally white) and the finish is not great. It has all the usual signs and corrosion of a 30 year old bike and there are chips/cracks on the bodywork. The compression is low on both cylinders especially the left, I suspect it to be valve clearances however rings are a possibility. Because of this, if it is left for long periods it does struggle to start and of course it uses a bit of oil.

Otherwise, what we have here is a well used original model that lends brilliantly to cafe racer rebuilds and even in its current state it remains an iconic head turner.

Also included is the original tool kit, an oil filter and an assortment of spares.

#9 ·
It would be gone in less than a week over here. What are you asking for it?

#11 ·
The bike is now sold! Sad to see it go but the new owner does plan to recondition/modify.
Hopefully he'll join this forum and benefit from reading up on some great projects and gain from a wealth of experience and knowledge that is clearly so abundant here!

#12 ·
Hi all, and hello Pasty PFC, this is Edd, the very happy new owner of the above cx500ec. Had a couple of weekends to tinker and so far have mainly been cleaning up, derusting, general servicing, balancing carbs, replacing filters, etc. Only change to the look so far is the addition of some crash bars. Next up will be paint job and deciding on a look for the build. Will update with pics soon!

Looking forward to reading up on the forum, a quick browse had already given me a lot to think about.

Cheers,

SmackEdd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.