New CX500 piston rings available now - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New CX500 piston rings available now

JC
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Great response, and thanks for this effort. This type of thing is what we envisioned 20 yrs ago and need. I have a set of 650 turbo rings OEM replacement still in box. I don't remember if they were stock size or 10 over? The part number is mc7, so It made me wonder if there were'nt some differences between turbo and other applications. If you need/want any measurements/pictures let me know.

If we had a "website", we could link to all these good aftermarket items being made. But I guess tge wiki and tge firum get the word out.

I did not know that the E's shared the same flow holes as the turbo. To my knowledge the only other dfference performance wise is the carb jetting.
    I'm happy to accomodate that on my site - we could even have individual contact forms for the various people who supply the items...

Edit: Actually, thinking about it there's a fair few... Joe's springs and grommets, Murray's carbs, Joe's gaskets and rings... Ray's ignition modules... More I'm sure I'm forgetting

Quote Originally Posted by jhovel View Post
    Howver, CXPreak, and I have been measuring lots of piston rings since and neither of us have found any 500s with 1.2mm gthick compression rings yet.

Cheers,
    Joe
    You mean haven't found any 1.0 mm rings Joe?
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    I'm happy to accomodate that on my site - we could even have individual contact forms for the various people who supply the items...

Edit: Actually, thinking about it there's a fair few... Joe's springs and grommets, Murray's carbs, Joe's gaskets and rings... Ray's ignition modules... More I'm sure I'm forgetting
    Yes, the stickys for those things help quite a bit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Tony,
    I suspect that there were small differences in the original rings for turbos and Es. My guess is the original rings had different external angles which influence the running in time. Ours are symetrical profiles (can go either side up), as they will go into 'used' bores. They will need a very small amount of new cross-hatching with a ball or sprung stone hone (just a few revolutions to break the glaze up) to ensure the outsides can wear in - like all ring replacements. They seem to settle in quite quickly though.

My guess is the original rings had different external angles which influence the running in time. Ours are symetrical profiles (can go either side up), as they will go into 'used' bores. .
    Like the ring on the top ( ?? )

Quote Originally Posted by guelli02 View Post
    Like the ring on the top ( ?? )
    Exactly.

Sorry guys, was sidetracked and away for a while. First re gaskets: the head gaskets have been used by lots of people now over nearly 5 years. I have not had any reports of any failures or problems - either 500 or 650. Obviously I run them in my own CX650 and have been all that time. Two of us initially did some testing with torquing protocols and found the differences between originals and the commissioned ones (an American company with American quality control). They do not contain asbestos and behave differently to the originals from 35 years ago. So if the installation instructions that come with each delivery are followed, then they appear to last really well.
    Additionally, Turbo Tim has been testing them in drag racing with high turbo boost and nitrous oxide - and been winning. He has destroyed several pistons but NO gaskets.

Now re piston rings. Murray and I have had several discussions about which compression ring thicknes was used in which models. So far, this is what we believe: the turbo 500s and ALL 650s use 1.0mm compression rings and all normally aspirated 500s use 1.2mm compression rings. Murray is sure that some later 500s used 1.0mm compression rings - and I was sure about that too. However, CXPhreak, and I have been measuring lots of piston rings since and neither of us have found any 500s with 1.0mm thick compression rings yet.

So please measure yours and give us feedback wehenever you can. We now have full sets for CX500 normally aspirated, CX500turbos and all 650s in stock.
    Prices are conveniently all the same: AUS$20 per gasket and per piston ring set (1 piston) plus postage. Single engine sets meet large letter specs and can be sent by airmail letter post cheaply.

PM me for orders please.

Cheers,
    Joe
    This post is along the line of my search for an alternate head gasket for the 650. As you read above, Joe has these gaskets made in the US (at least there is one factory still here) and they are similar spec to the oem gaskets. I have been also discussions with Cometic about making MLS (multi layer steel) gaskets, but will probably try these until I make a decision. If they last on Turbo Tim's bike, they will probably survive 99% of the other CX's abuse. Thanks Joe
    CX500C
    CX500T
    CX650E
    CX650T
    Hawk
    CB750 w/turbo
    RG500
    V-Max
    Kawasaki 750 Turbo
    Katana 1000
    Ducati 749R
    Screaming Eagle Road King
    CBR600F3
    Honda Metropolitan
    Ninja H2 1000
    & a dozen battery chargers

PM Sent about the piston rings. Glad I found this thread I've been searching for rings for weeks now, and OEM set on eBay is about 200$

any still available? Will PM :-)

Yep, still heaps of 500 and 500turbo rings available. Just PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links