New CX500 piston rings available now
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New CX500 piston rings available now

New CX500 piston rings available now

Hi all,
    a few CX enthusiasts here in Australia have put our resources together and commissioned a production run of new piston rings from a very large OEM manufacturer in Taiwan.
    These ring sets are suitable for ALL CX and GL 500 engines, including turbos. They are 78mm - standard bore size.
    Cost is AUS$20 per cylinder set plus postage.
    PM me or CXPHREAK for orders and queries.
    Cheers,
    Joe

PS: CX650 piston rings also still available, as are our comissioned 500 and 650 head gaskets.

Senior Member DavidfromWisconsin's Avatar
    Are the head gaskets long mileage tested by anyone yet to see if they are as good as the Honda head gaskets? What are the prices on the head gaskets and the 650 piston rings.
    Formerly David from Wisconsin
    Formerly R80Dave
    GL500I "Candy"
    BMW K1200LT
    Kawasaki 400LTD (Wife's learning bike)
    Mentoring is available

Hi Dave or jhovel;
    Any further info on this?

Do we supposed to go to the aussie site. What about someone buying a whole bunch in the u.s. to consoldate shipping?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Just a note on this. Initially the wrong rings were ordered.

Early CX500 compression rings are 1.2 mm thick. The sets supplied have 1 mm thick compression rings and apparently these will work in 500 turbos and 500 eurosport and 82/83 shadows. This probably means TI CXs sold in other markets but not sure about 82 GLs ... this would be a question for Murray.

Anyhow, correct 1.2 mm rings have now been ordered.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Hi cxphreak; what about Daves question about the gaskets and 650 rings? Were they ok?

Never used the 650 headgaskets or rings having only 500s. I have bought, but never yet used the 500 head gaskets and they look as well made as OEM with no deformed flame ringsor other noticable defects. They also appear that they may be impervious to coolant - so no soak through and need for multiple retorques.

Joe has presumably used the same supplier for both 500 and 650 rings.

Joe is showing 42 sets of 650 rings available at $20 per set {one set, one piston.} Also 12 pairs of 650 head gaskets at $40 a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    Never used the 650 headgaskets or rings having only 500s. I have bought, but never yet used the 500 head gaskets and they look as well made as OEM with no deformed flame ringsor other noticable defects. They also appear that they may be impervious to coolant - so no soak through and need for multiple retorques.

Joe has presumably used the same supplier for both 500 and 650 rings.

Joe is showing 42 sets of 650 rings available at $20 per set {one set, one piston.} Also 12 pairs of 650 head gaskets at $40 a pair.
    Both those prices sound great. I hope he keeps a supply on hand.

BYthe way is Kathy Leslie (John?) still active?

"BYthe way is Kathy Leslie (John?) still active?"

Yep.

Sorry guys, was sidetracked and away for a while. First re gaskets: the head gaskets have been used by lots of people now over nearly 5 years. I have not had any reports of any failures or problems - either 500 or 650. Obviously I run them in my own CX650 and have been all that time. Two of us initially did some testing with torquing protocols and found the differences between originals and the commissioned ones (an American company with American quality control). They do not contain asbestos and behave differently to the originals from 35 years ago. So if the installation instructions that come with each delivery are followed, then they appear to last really well.
    Additionally, Turbo Tim has been testing them in drag racing with high turbo boost and nitrous oxide - and been winning. He has destroyed several pistons but NO gaskets.

Now re piston rings. Murray and I have had several discussions about which compression ring thicknes was used in which models. So far, this is what we believe: the turbo 500s and ALL 650s use 1.0mm compression rings and all normally aspirated 500s use 1.2mm compression rings. Murray is sure that some later 500s used 1.0mm compression rings - and I was sure about that too. However, CXPhreak, and I have been measuring lots of piston rings since and neither of us have found any 500s with 1.0mm thick compression rings yet.

So please measure yours and give us feedback wehenever you can. We now have full sets for CX500 normally aspirated, CX500turbos and all 650s in stock.
    Prices are conveniently all the same: AUS$20 per gasket and per piston ring set (1 piston) plus postage. Single engine sets meet large letter specs and can be sent by airmail letter post cheaply.

PM me for orders please.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Last edited by jhovel; 06-05-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    hamilton, TonyG and Flipper like this.

Great response, and thanks for this effort. This type of thing is what we envisioned 20 yrs ago and need. I have a set of 650 turbo rings OEM replacement still in box. I don't remember if they were stock size or 10 over? The part number is mc7, so It made me wonder if there were'nt some differences between turbo and other applications. If you need/want any measurements/pictures let me know.

If we had a "website", we could link to all these good aftermarket items being made. But I guess tge wiki and tge firum get the word out.

I did not know that the E's shared the same flow holes as the turbo. To my knowledge the only other dfference performance wise is the carb jetting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links