1981 CX500 with windjammer and 7k original miles! Its a beauty.
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1981 CX500 with windjammer and 7k original miles! Its a beauty.

1981 CX500 with windjammer and 7k original miles! Its a beauty.

I am thinking about selling my 81 cx500. I've got hard bags that almost match the color and a tall sissybar backrest that are currently off the bike and this bike is unmolested almost all original. I don't have the original headlight or front turn signals. Other than that I think I've got everything else. Again this bike only has a little over 7k. It starts runs and rides fine, It takes a minute to warm up though (don't they all?). I actually have the original title from 1981. It's an Oklahoma title but I have a current Kansas title and it's tagged as an antique. Kind of interesting. If I can I'll add daylight pictures soon. I think I will wait for the right person who wants to pay me 3000 for it. If not I'll just keep it and enjoy it as a second bike. I have a newer fuel injected bike, but both are very fun to ride! Feel free to message me if you are interested. I'm not interested in shipping the bike. I prefer for you to pick it up in person and I would like it to stay original if possible meaning I'd rather not sell it to someone who is going to chop it up.
    Thanks
    Bentley

Edit:
    I'm hoping its worth around 3000 because of the low miles and good condition. I'm open to offers and suggestions on the value. However I really do like this bike so I won't be giving it away. I realize there will be many opinions and I welcome them all. Thanks

Edit again: lol
    Ok I realize that my $3000.00 price tag is extreme (that's maybe the best word I could find). I now see that is about double what these bikes are going for in similar condition. Also I looked into the wiring on the bike just to see what I've really got here. I was thinking it being a barn find where were the mice living and chewing. I found no evidence of mice (whooohoo) however I discovered when the guy before me took the bags off he removed the rear turn signals that were on the bags and replaced them with the turn signals you see now and the ones that were on the bags had the running lights in them and these don't (I don't know which was original) but something to make note of. I also noticed which you probably can already tell that the rear bar is missing that must have been replaced by that rack that was taken off the bike. Honestly the ATV I traded for this bike was about $1500-1800. Also is there a way to resize my pictures so they aren't HUGE? I assume there is and I just really don't know what I'm doing.
    Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Last edited by bentley; 03-26-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    izak likes this.

Enjoy your bike
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

The pictures were painful.

I think I will wait for the right person who wants to pay me 3000 for it. If not I'll just keep it and enjoy it as a second bike.
    Closest you would get is $500 to maybe $900, but you state no physical mechanical history. As Murray said, hang on to it and read more here on the forum to make it what you want. There is a ton of information in the WIKI and other threads.

Useful links below.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

What was painful in the pictures? I am under the impression this bike is in great condition. It's not mint but there are no dents or even scratches in the paint and there is little to no rust. It still has all the original information stickers on it. The valve covers could be resurfaced to look a little better. I'm not an expert in this bike at all but I'm curious why you think it's only worth $500. The only history I know about it is what was told to me. I traded a 4 wheeler for it from a man who said he got it out of a barn in Oklahoma, he said he cleaned the carbs changed the all the fluids and it runs fine now. The only problem I had was the other day I was taking it down the highway and started to loose power (Oh man that stinks) flipped it to the reserve tank and BAM back in action. I just ran out of gas! lol got all worried for no reason. Thats about all I know. Thanks for the comments though. I would like to know people's opinions on the value of this bike. It's really like it's just being broke in.

They sold NEW for less than $1,800, have little real collector value and have not appreciated in any way. typically in the U.S. you will have a tough time selling one for more than $1200-1500 in tip-top shape. The added accessories don't add much if anything, sorry.
    The mileage helps a bit, but low mileage over 30 years tends brings out other problems. So who ever buys it need to go through everything just like a higher mileage bike.
    Last edited by SLiM; 03-26-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    1982 GL500 -- Original Owner
    1980 CX500C -- THE THING -
    1979 CX500C -- Mrs. SLiM's $200 resurrection.
    09 Vstar 250 -- Very nice starter bike for those who want to get wife or GF riding.
    88 KZ305b -- Sons first bike, He left - Bike stayed.

Past bikes
    1969? Honda 100
    1972 Harley Davidson sprint -- never ran
    78 KZ400 -- First new Bike
    80 CX500c -- Purchased new when I was 20, Traded in for current GL

Max price around here would be $1200 on a good day and folks want moon money here for any running bike. It would probably be in the 800-1000 range
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Quote Originally Posted by nolimitz View Post
    Max price around here would be $1200 on a good day and folks want moon money here for any running bike. It would probably be in the 800-1000 range
    I just talked to my dad he suggested putting the bags an rack back on and giving it all a good polish and guessed it might bring 1200 around here. He knows more about bikes than I'll ever know. I think for 1200 I'll just keep it though. Man this bike is a joy to ride! I'm not sold on the high revs on the highway but it's hard not to smile while riding this thing. Also, I have some daylight pics to addName:  IMG_2221[1].JPG
Views: 162
Size:  2.53 MBName:  IMG_2222[1].JPG
Views: 173
Size:  2.74 MBName:  IMG_2223[1].JPG
Views: 146
Size:  2.09 MBName:  IMG_2224[1].JPG
Views: 174
Size:  3.09 MBName:  IMG_2225[1].JPG
Views: 152
Size:  2.90 MBName:  IMG_2226[1].JPG
Views: 155
Size:  2.52 MBName:  IMG_2227[1].JPG
Views: 144
Size:  2.08 MB

You also need to be aware that there are. A lot of these squirreled away in mint condition a s they go cheap

You seem to think the bike is worth more unmolested that is empirically not true

And yours is a custom the least sought after
    And its loaded with the unwanted fairing
    Everyone is converting everything to naked
    Without any work done to it or new rubber ect its a 500 bike

If you like it as its equipped ride itcand love it they are greatv
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

It is hard to sell anything in pieces and a non stock fairing does not help any, they just don't brig much. They are more odd now than when new, I happen to like mine easy maintance and ahead of its time, they like to rev high below 3000 rpm is not good. I have not heard of these wearing out much just fix what needs it.
    Last edited by Steve1; 03-26-2016 at 05:51 PM.
    1982 Honda GL500 I SilverWing Interstate " Its not the destination but the journey and Ride Safe "

Don't get discouraged. I just sold a 1980 in not as nice a condition for 1200, but I did a new cam chain and mechanical/oil seal, and ducati fan. Tis the season and you have to find the right buyer. And if they want to 'chop-it-up', it's their bike
    cx650c/cx500/gl500/gl650
    gearshift spring #4 on microfiche:http://www.ebay.com/itm/141622820137...84.m1555.l2649

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links