For sale: 1981 GL500, 3800 original miles, original owner.
Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: For sale: 1981 GL500, 3800 original miles, original owner.

For sale: 1981 GL500, 3800 original miles, original owner.

I bought this bike brand spanking new in 1985. It has 3800 original miles. The paint is perfect, no dents or scratches. Seats are perfect, travel trunk. All original parts, owners manual. Just installed a new maintenance free battery. It runs good, but could use a tuneup. Chrome is in very good condition with very minor pitting.

Bike has 2 known issues: Front forks leak oil and need repaired. Very minor coolant leak by water pump. It's all original, looks almost as good as the day I bought it. Anybody with the mechanical skills to do the repairs will have a bike that looks almost brand new.

The bike has always been garaged since day 1. I just changed the oil, and needed to service the petcock. I disabled the vacuum diagram as it had a hole in it. The petcock is in working condition. I can answer any questions about the history of the bike since I'm its original ower. Also I recently removed the in tank fuel filter and replaced with an inline fuel filter.

Location is Cleveland/Akron Ohio. Any questions please ask. Name:  1981 honda.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  183.7 KB

Date code on tires?

Asking price?

Accessories: saddle bags, small trunk, big trunk.....?

Did it sit in the showroom for 4 years?

I don't know the date code on the tires, they are the original.

No saddle bags. the trunk is the small one, it is a little bigger than the passenger seat, you can swap out the passenger seat with the trunk. Looks better with the trunk IMO.

Yes it sat in the show room for 4 years. Early 80s was supposed to be a banner year in bikes sales but I think there was a bit of recession. There was a dealer in Cleveland called Rick Case that sold a lot of motorcycle. They had a big supply of older models.

The bike is all original, All the original factory parts, no after market addons or modifications.

I'm asking $2500

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

You have a nice bike there.

Although, the tires and the price will be deterrent to a buyer.

Assuming the tires are OEM, then they are 35 years old. Well over due for replacement. Figure $100-200 per tire for just rubber. Cost will increase with dealer install.
    Condition of the brakes will be brought into question also, assuming they are OEM.

Many buyers will just want to jump on the bike and ride. Especially with a near pristine bike.

Not trying to rain on your aspirations, just offering a buyer perspective.

If I was stateside, I'd be all over that bike. But I would only offer about $1100-1400 after inspection. I wouldn't ride it because of the tire age. Not being able to test ride would contribute to my offer.
    Last edited by Knute; 06-02-2016 at 11:05 PM.

I think it more than a fair price for a bike with that low mileage. Try finding a perfect 30+ yr old gl500 out there that doesn't need something.

If as stated, the price is what a true restorer might pay. Not a price for someone to "ride off the lot". The fact everything is OEM brings many issues into play beyond aesthetics. There will be every aspect of the functionality of the engine and suspension and brakes, etc. to refresh before it could be a safe ride (not to mention the tires).

Perhaps get in touch with MurrayF or Larry (LRCXed) here on the forum and see if they have some interest or leads.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

I would not even consider that offer. Yes the brakes are OEM. I bought the bike new, I know what has been, and what hasn't been done. There is no surprises on the on condition or no need to try to run down used missing parts that would need to be painted. Everything is there. I would consider reasonable offers from serious buyers. Tires would not deter me from a test drive, I rode it yesterday. Yes they should be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Knute View Post
    You have a nice bike there.

Although, the tires and the price will be deterrent to a buyer.

Assuming the tires are OEM, then they are 35 years old. Well over due for replacement. Figure $100-200 per tire for just rubber. Cost will increase with dealer install.
    Condition of the brakes will be brought into question also, assuming they are OEM.

Many buyers will just want to jump on the bike and ride. Especially with a near pristine bike.

Not trying to rain on your aspirations, just offering a buyer perspective.

If I was stateside, I'd be all over that bike. But I would only offer about $1100-1400 after inspection. I wouldn't ride it because of the tire age. Not being able to test ride would contribute to my offer.

It seems the prices people on the forum are will to pay is about 30-50% lower than what I see CX's are being offered for on CL. That being said the CL prices are asking prices and not what guys are actually getting. Just my 2 cents. BTW, nice bike and if I was gonna make an offer it would probably be 2k. Hope you get a price that makes you happy, cheers.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

perfect?

needs the timing chain adjusted

needs a mech seal 200 more if you do it right and do he triple to begin with

tires 200

front forks rebuilt and probably springs from sitting 2-300

i would also do rear brake shoes as they de bond with that much sitting and you may as well do a final drive service and splines 75

so the bike is a minimum of 600 - 700 from the road

good luck with your sale it could be a nice bike
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

That's the Cosmo Black model which i like the best of any factory paint on these bikes only 1981 had that color - I would hold out for top dollar too - more photos for your ads would be good. While the bike may not be road ready due to tires and such it should interest the right buyer. It may not be a fast sale but there is a buyer out there you just have to find him.

Good luck
    #1=81 GL500I rider sold to Steve, #2=82 Yellow GL500I rider, #3=81 GL500 rider that is/has become parts bike, #4 = 83 GL650 in need of full restore but is becoming a parts bike #5= GL650I rolling basket case that is now on the road #6= Naked GL650 runs but have not started on it yet is missing title but after it's 30 years old next year I can get a new title here in Florida with only a bill of sale. (I'm up to bike #15 or is it #17 now but have sold a few)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links