1983 GL650 will try again
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By donaldo88

Thread: 1983 GL650 will try again

1983 GL650 will try again

If you searched for this, you alreadyknow the bike. Others who stumbled across it, this is the last yearof production for this design, and the GL650 was one model year only.GL500's were made in 1981 and 1982, and the Interstate gets you thefairing and hard bags in all years. The same engine design goes backto the CX500 in 1978, liquid-cooled and shaft drive. Everything you ever wanted to know, and a wealth of technical information, are available on a website dedicated to these, from enthusiastic riders all over the world, who put long touring miles on them. I have bought, ridden, and sold seven of these, counting three that I bought purposely to flip.
    Why sell? After 60 years with no injury on motorcycles, I notice myself making some mistakes, plus I was in a car hit by a texter. It's time to hang up the helmet. This one I've had for three years, I bought with 24K miles in Brunswick Maine from an experienced rider who also had a GoldWing which he preferred, and he bought it from the original owner, an elderly man in Canada, not long before.
    It has a NOS starter, not cheap, Ibought it after the original one got very slow cranking. The originalone comes with it if you want to swap the guts to get the correctlook of the black case.
    New rear tire at 30K miles, the frontwas new at 25K, as was the battery. Last winter, I went through therear suspension to lube it with the correct Honda “assembly paste”moly grease, a tough job, so it will be creak-free for years to come.
    Absolutely everything works as original. I ran it up to 100mph yesterday and it was still accelerating strongly. I'm not in the practice of doing that, but I noticed how smooth it was with the new rear tire at 75, so kept on it. It gets 50 mpg or more, and is absolutely reliable, as these are well-reputed to be.
    Absolutely nothing leaks, ever.
    It comes with original tools, the original factory cover, and a manual
    Only one scratch on it, the left edge of the fairing, so it must have gone down once in its life. It has evidently always been garaged, the seats and decals are all perfect, showing no weathering. The ONLY crusty or corroded place is the clutch cover, but that's much cleaner than on others like this. I cleaned and painted the GL650 label on the engine, so it looks like new. One key fits everything, and you get a spare one.

Have photos, can email if you send address, but didn't see a way to clip onto my text.

Need to be over $2500.
    Last edited by donaldo88; 05-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    83 GL650-I:icon_salut:

Sad to hear you hanging up the cap, but I know all too well what it is like. If you want, I have a link below to help with attaching photos here.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

has it had a bypass (timing chain stator mechanical seal and starter clutch rebuild) carbs done?
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

"New rear tire at 30K miles"

What is Mi. now ?

read it 3 x maybe missed it ?
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Sorry forgot to state mileage, Currently 30,554 miles. This was a text I wrote when I accompanied with photos including that of the odometer. Only a few hundred miles since I put on the rear tire last fall, wrote the ad, then I stored it.

NO "bypasses" of any kind. Not broke, never fixed. I understand what some say, all needed as PM. I went to adjust the timing chain as I did to a couple of GL500's and found out it was self-adjusting on the 650.

I'll attempt to put up photos when I'm more awake tomorrow.
    purplecx500 likes this.

Probably will start an eBay listing soon, but having second thoughts about selling.Name:  2016-08-22 18.09.43.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  3.86 MB

She is a beauty, Donald. Hard decision to make for sure, been there, done that with G-Loria........I know all too well................her story is below if you've never read it.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

with addendums

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

WOW talk about thorough! Ground up? No, valve cap UP!

FWIW, the 650 models were also produced in 1984 but they weren't imported into the US that year.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by donaldo88 View Post
    WOW talk about thorough! Ground up? No, valve cap UP!
    Donald, I just added a new update of the G-Loria story, which describes her next phase on the forum. Enjoy the read. (Part III)

with addendums

TAPATALK USERS--

Sponsored Links