Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Guys:

I need to replace the stator on my 79 CX 500. Where do I get a replacement stator?

Bill
    Bill B

Orlando

79 CX500

Ebay. Or have your bad one rewound.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=230492620579

Quote Originally Posted by billb View Post
    Guys:

I need to replace the stator on my 79 CX 500. Where do I get a replacement stator?

Bill
    hi bill and welcome.please spend a few minutes to update your signiture and avitar.include your bikes details and where you live in the world.

its quite difficult to advice someone where to purchase things if they havnt a clue where they live.
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    hi bill and welcome.please spend a few minutes to update your signiture and avitar.include your bikes details and where you live in the world.

its quite difficult to advice someone where to purchase things if they havnt a clue where they live.

I am a working 66 yr old who began riding July 2009, rode about 2,800 miles on a 79CX500 that had 13250 miles when I got it.

I had to have it towed home, replaced the CDI (Cobram's purchase) and then it kept dying on me. Mechanic says I need to replace the stator. I am willing to try to do so myself, but I need help. I am clueless about modifying the almost right part, If I can't get the correct part, I will never get the bike running again.
    Bill B

Orlando

79 CX500

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post

Bill B

Orlando

79 CX500

Bill

There are plenty of threads on this boad discussing parts needed and process to switch the stator.

Few things you'll need:

1. New or rewound stator, like this: http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....lIb25DWDUwMA==

2. At minimum rear gasket

3. Coolant passage way o-rings

4. Oil seals since you are there

5. Possibly cam chain and adjuster if needed do it now

6. I would also do the mech seal.

Here is a good place to start: http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/.../ShowPost.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by billb View Post
    I am a working 66 yr old who began riding July 2009, rode about 2,800 miles on a 79CX500 that had 13250 miles when I got it.

I had to have it towed home, replaced the CDI (Cobram's purchase) and then it kept dying on me. Mechanic says I need to replace the stator. I am willing to try to do so myself, but I need help. I am clueless about modifying the almost right part, If I can't get the correct part, I will never get the bike running again.
    hi bill,thanks for updating your profile.sometimes members live very close to-gether and are willing to help each other out for the cost of a beer and a burger.

just curious,how did your mechanic come to the conclusion...you need a new stator...do you know how he tested.

if it proves to be faulty,there are plenty of guys here that will walk you through it.its not difficult.

good luck
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

I also have a 79 cx500 std. Bike is currently running, 48K miles, ok after a 14 yr storage. I did replace CDI with Ignitech--still no problems and battery is being charged. I have a number of minor repairs, etc to get it running. So far it has been 4 months but only been riding about 600 miles.

I am interested in a future purchase of the stator. I am the orig owner and I have never been into the engine. Again, been trying to read various threads. I have not done any tests yet- Just want to be prepared.

Can someone suggest a current supplier for my bike. Since I have the Ignitech- do I get a G-8? I reviewed the suggestion for Rick's but it stated "does not include pickups". Again, I am not familiar with what I need. I just want to be able to remove old one and install the replacement.

Since bike been down for so long, I am hoping that I can ride for awhile before I have to get into the engine. When it comes time, I am sure that I will do all the seals, etc. Clutch is rattling some when not lever not pressed. I think it should last awhile.

Anyway, please advise on stator. I will do separate threads for other items.

Thanks Again,
    DannyO

1979 CX500 w Ignitech and upgrade stator

1973 Porsche 911

Billb, replacing a stator sounds like a huge job, but having just torn my engine apart to do it I can tell you it is actually really easy. You also dont need tonns of specialty tools, just the normal stuff most people have. As for how too, this forum contains tonns of great info, pics, and proceedures to make it a lot simpler, plus the people here are the best and will all help you every step of the way. Most have done it themselves and I had the benifit of all this help to make sure i didnt mess it up.

Thanks for the reply - although, I hijacked this thread to since it had some info. Not sure if Billb has replaced his stator or where he got it from.

I have been following your adventure. I got everything over in a MS Word document--just to have in one place.

What kind of stator should I buy with the Ignitech and from whom? I am sure that I can handle--hopefully later----just would like to get the latest available --although it may change in 6 months.

Thanks Again
    DannyO

1979 CX500 w Ignitech and upgrade stator

1973 Porsche 911

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors