Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a 82 GL500 that will start every day after I ride it, but park it for 10 days - 2 weeks and it will start hard and only run on one clyinder for about 5 -10 seconds, then it will suddenly run on both clyinders and run fine, with no problems until it sits for 10 plus days, and have the same trouble, all over again. Anybody have the same problem, or any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by Buckklier View Post
    I have a 82 GL500 that will start every day after I ride it, but park it for 10 days - 2 weeks and it will start hard and only run on one clyinder for about 5 -10 seconds, then it will suddenly run on both clyinders and run fine, with no problems until it sits for 10 plus days, and have the same trouble, all over again. Anybody have the same problem, or any ideas??

I had the same problem. Shut it down, turned off the fuel and it sat for a week. Would not start. Was in a hurry and forgot to shut off the fuel. Next day it started on the first try. So for me it appears to be a fuel evaporation problem.

So now if it has to sit for an extended period of time I go out a little early, turn on the fuel, finish my coffee and she fires right up
    Dennis "Hanibel" Matl

1979 CX500C

This is not an uncommon issue. It is due to the carb bowls evaporating the fuel......assuming there are no leaks. It's common to many of the GL's and CX's. Some folks never seem to have a problem, and I've seen some mentions of ways to avoid it, but I don't have them to hand. Others will surely chime in. I'd not be concerned if you are able to get the bike fired up in relatively short order.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 58. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k, and my honey's 88 Shadow VT1100

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

WIKI LINK for all the tech stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibel View Post
    I had the same problem. Shut it down, turned off the fuel and it sat for a week. Would not start. Was in a hurry and forgot to shut off the fuel. Next day it started on the first try. So for me it appears to be a fuel evaporation problem.

So now if it has to sit for an extended period of time I go out a little early, turn on the fuel, finish my coffee and she fires right up
    If the vacuum-driven fuel petcock is functioning on the GLs, just turning the gas on does not let it flow to the carbs. Cylinder vacuum from the right side carb (while cranking or running) opens a diaphragm in the petcock allowing gas to get to the float valves, which will let it go into the bowls if they aren't full. I crank mine for a couple of seconds, twist the throttle to activate the accelerator pump (maybe helps, hard to tell) then keep on cranking till it fires up. On mine, it's the right side that is slow to fire off - I think because I keep the bike on the side stand and it takes a little longer for that carb to fill.

Dude
    '82 GL500I, 37K miles, acquired 5-23-2010

GL650I Project*, 33K miles, acquired 9-3-10

GL650I 69K miles, acquired 1-7-11 (the last one, I think!)

* Frame, engine, and tires together, the rest in 6 boxes.

----------------------------------------------------------

Just happy to be here!

only from memory,Abes posted on the old forum,that after 2 weeks sitting the amount of evaporation is virtually zero.he conduct tests to show that was the case.

and if the OP,s bike only runs on one pot,than evaporation only is only in one carb...i doubt it.

but my theory.

high fuel levels in the bowls will also cause hard starting.so,bearing in mind,not all bikes have this issue.it could be that,if the petcock does not 100% shut off fuel,then over a period of time weeping fuel via the fvn could raise the level in the left carb.

my thoughts for the day.

1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

Mine doesn't have the petcock, just an on/off tap,which I leave on all the time, and I fitted an inline filter. The engine's often not started for a couple of weeks as it's not my daily drive, and it starts first time no problems.

I do however have a trickle charger which is hooked up every time it's parked in my garage, so I know the battery's full and ready to go.

HTH

Malcolm
    Just an opinion, please don't shoot me if it doesn't coincide with yours............

I bet the problem is the crappy fuel we have these days. Get yourself one of those long electrical screwdrivers and drain the fuel bowls for 30 seconds or so so that when you turn the drains off the bowls are full of fresh gas from the gas tank.The fuel in your bowls has evaporated some of the volatile elements out of it and it is hard to ignite.

I have to do this with both my CX's after any more than about 5 days standing. Drain the bowls and they fire up pretty readily.
    In New Zealand

1979 CX500 cafe - it lives!

1983 CX650ED

1983 CX650 uber modernist cafe project bike

Click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdeliv...php?f=10&t=823

HTH
    I don't own a Transverse Engined Motorcycle.1st Amendment

Anybody have the same problem, or any ideas??

Same symptoms experienced here. I run a fuel filter, tank is lined (POR15) and carbs are clean/maintained. Ignition system is kept up properly.

I find it helpful to completely drain the tank several times a year especially upon the springtime awakening. This includes removal and shaking the tank while upside down (cap removed) to get that last quart or so of unuseable fuel out. What comes out looks like a urine sample and smells a bit like paint thinner/mineral spirits.

An oil/fuel supplier about 10 miles away has real non-ethanol fuel which I am going to try when my current stash of gas-staion fuel in cans is gone. I'm convinced the fuel we get is inferior to what we used to get years ago. I don't often fill up my bike at a service station so every can I fill gets the Sta-Bil treatment as soon as I get it home. I will also run a bit of Sea-Foam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Lucas etc. Depends on what's on sale or what I have available at the time.

Hoppy
    1980 CX500D (Roadworthy Fun)
    1979 CX500C (Stagnant Project)
    1981 GL1100 Std
    Growing SHOP (Shameful Hoard of Parts)

Pacing Counts As Exercise

ditch the vacuum petcock and it will go away here is a 20$ solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC-TR...70dc1e&vxp=mtr

and the problem gets worse in hot weather and happens faster
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!!!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors