Close
    Wondering if there are any experienced folks that can help point me in the right direction with this one...

82 CX500C - Rode it on Friday (about 20 mins). Stopped for about 4/5 hours, went to start it. Heard a click when I hit the starter and all electrical went black...

After loading it up and back home, I looked over the fuses at the ignition, all looked good. Looked at the blade fuse by the battery and while it looked good, it looked worn and original. So picked up a few new ones and bam, bike started back up all looked good.

Went for a ride on Saturday (about 20 mins, same ride as Friday). Stopped for about 30 minutes. Went back to head home, the exact same thing. A click when I hit the starter and all electrical went black...

Checked the fuses again, all is good, no signs of any problems.

I plan on starting to check the grounds, but thought I would post this to see if someone has a better idea of what is going on. I have done some searching on the site, but can't seem to come up with anything beyond fuses and grounds...

Thanks!

Tom
    Nuke

Tremont, IL

"Frankenbike" - '82 CX500C

Is it a blade fuse like a car or that goofy honda one. If it's the honda on then they have the tendency to become brittle and crack.

At any time did you charge the battery or jump it.

You may also want to clean the starter and check the battery with a multimeter to make sure it's holding or getting a good charge.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Check that the 6 pin connecter at the bottom of the ignition switch is tight.

I'd check and clean all the connectors anyway, I consider it routine maintenance.
    Help with handlebar and ignition switches.

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Rebuildin...lebar+switches

It is the goofy Honda one, that is the one that is new...

The battery is good, have checked it is good and haven't needed to charge or jump it as it is a new battery from about 2 months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
    Is it a blade fuse like a car or that goofy honda one. If it's the honda on then they have the tendency to become brittle and crack.

At any time did you charge the battery or jump it.

You may also want to clean the starter and check the battery with a multimeter to make sure it's holding or getting a good charge.
    Nuke

Tremont, IL

I will check that out while I am out there! Thanks for the suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    Check that the 6 pin connecter at the bottom of the ignition switch is tight.

I'd check and clean all the connectors anyway, I consider it routine maintenance.
    Nuke

Tremont, IL

You might want to replace the honda one with a blade fuse holder because they are more reliable.

If this problem happens to you again while you are on the road place the bike in neutral and use a metal object like a wrench to bridge the gap between the two poles on the starter solenoid. If it starts then the problem is likely between the solenoid, start button and ignition. If it doesn't then it's the starter.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

She is running again, but not sure for how long? I pulled the ignition switch and cleaned the connections. Pretty clean so I am not convinced that caused the problem. In addition, when I put it back together it did not respond. I turned it a full revolution back and forth and the lights came on...

I probably have a wiring short somewhere which will take me more time than I have today...
    Nuke

Tremont, IL

There are outside contacts which you know but there are also inside contacts in the switch.

WOW! were you riding my bike this weekend?? Same thing happened to me yesterday! I rode my silver-turd over to a friends house to help rip some plywood.... when we were done and I was ready to go home, I stuck the key in the ignition, rotated it and NOTHING! I checked the battery with his crappy meter and it was good... so after checking the main fuse, I figured I needed to start at the switch. And since my bike has a faring, I needed to pull that crap off!

What I found after a lot of effen around, was the problem was in the ignition switch. I could wiggle the connector and the oil and neutral lights would come on. At first I thought it was the plug.... but since I have a spare ignition switch (I got from another guy with a faring and misc crap), I thought I'd try it. But that switch didn't seem to work either... and I couldn't get the lights to come on when wiggling the wires to the connector. So I decided to pull the spare one apart to see how it ticked... and to see how it looked inside. It looked ok, but since it didn't work, I took apart the one from my bike. The INSIDE contacts of the original switch were arc'd enough to melt the plastic rotary contact holder. This melting wouldn't allow the contacts to float the way they needed to maintain full contact. So. I cleaned the contacts up with emery cloth and scraped away the melted plastic. I made sure it would float again with spring pressure, then I re-assembled the switch.

Worked like a champ... but that was 5 hours of fiddling around with everything.. including going home to get parts. My bike is up and running again and I rode it home.

Here's some observations as well as things I learned:

1. Not all GL500 ignition switches were created equal. They looked completely different inside.

2. When I pulled up to my friend house and drove over the small curb in the driveway, one of my blinker lights blew out. This is the second time in two weeks after hitting a bump in the road. Might have been an electrical surge.

3. All you need to pull the fairing and ignition switch of a silver-turd is a 12mm wrench and a #2 Phillips

4. I drove my friends Harley to my house to get parts... Harley's with strait pipes require the rider to wear earplugs for the trip back..kind of unpleasant.

5. No faring on the Harley... I love my faring/wind-screen.

6. ....and even if you are riding a loud intimidating Harley, stupid people still pull stupid things on the highway that put motorcyclist in danger. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WHEN RIDING YOUR BIKES THIS SUMMER! We are stupid people magnets if we like it or not.

Tim

Always change old Main Fuse holders when you get these machines.They will let you down.

click here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdeliv...c.php?f=8&t=27

Also at least once a year clean ALL electrical contacts as per,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/c.../Electrics.htm

HTH
    I don't own a Transverse Engined Motorcycle.1st Amendment

Sponsors