engine mount alignment
Close

I removed my motor (for a stator swap), and upon reinstalling I have a mount alignment issue.

The Rear upper mounts, do not line up, the bolt hits the engine metal. (the holes of frame and engine do not match perfectly--the engine part obstructs the frame hole creating the shape of a half moon at about 2 o/clock as seen through the frame hole).

All the other bolts go in perfectly.

I managed to leverage some movement of the motor to just slide the rear uppers in, but, this is not practical as I remove these bolts often to remove the crash bars (and exhaust).

The bolts are new if that has any thing to do.

So what's the deal with this?
    1981 Honda GL500i

Snap some pictures and we might be of better help.

Try loosening everything and see if you can muscle it around and get them all in then tighten it all up.

Or try getting the ones your having trouble with in first and then put the rest in.

It's all about getting everything just so so.

On another note throw your bike year and model in your sig for the future.
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

I'll assume you have a 1980 or older CX500 that has the upper rear motor mount. This motor mount was eliminated on 1981 and newer CX/GL500's and nothing else was changed. That means Honda engineers decided that particular motor mount was engineering overkill so you don't even need that bolt. I used to own a '79 CX500 that I blew the motor on (bottom end went bad). I had a spare '82 motor with a cracked cylinder so I made one good motor based on the '79 block. I wanted the '82 electrics so I used that rear engine cover which didn't have the rear upper motor mount. At first it made me paranoid eliminating that motor mount but everything was fine without it. I noticed no difference whatsoever in handling.

All that being said, did you replace the rear engine gasket when you replaced your stator?

Also, please update your signature to show your bike(s) model and year.
    1967 Honda Dream
    1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
    1974 Suzuki GT250
    1976 Honda Goldwing
    1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing
    1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing
    1989 Yamaha XT350
    1991 Kawasaki KDX200

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Is your drive shaft aligned properly and fully inserted? I noticed it was possible to get it half way in so the engine isn't all the way back yet. Just an idea.
    79 CX500 Custom (G8 & Ignitech), 78 CX500D 19k parts bike currently all parts for sale, PM me

Use a jack with a bit of wood on it under the engine to move it around until you can align but leave all bolts loose until the engine is in.

HTH
    I won't miss the Human Race,well maybe,"Fish-and-Chips"

Ok so I added my bike to my signature (81 GL500i)

I have a honda gasket on the rear case.

The drive shaft is aligned.

And I tried the jack and muscle technique with all the other bolts in but loose. This is how I managed to force the bolts in. But this still seems wrong, they shouldn't have to be forced so much. And also I would have to do this all over again as I've yet to mount the exhaust and crash bar (th rear uppers hold the crash bar).

I tried pictures but nothing can be seen. It is too dark in those holes.

Also it seems, judging from pictures, they eliminated the bottom long bolt on later models, not the top ones....?
    1981 Honda GL500i

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyTheBestia View Post
    Also it seems, judging from pictures, they eliminated the bottom long bolt on later models, not the top ones....?

Actually they eliminated the top bolt,,it is not on yours, you have the 2 middle ones(the ones you are having the problem with) and the bottom long bolt.

On the CX's(pre 1982) there is a hanger by the coils and a bolt that runs through a slot on the top of the rear engine cover.

If your engine came out of your bike it should go back in,,there may be something holding it from going back in,,did you try putting the 2 bolts that are the problem in first? If they won't go in first the motor must not be completely in place.

It's hard to tell from here.
    ...and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind, let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new. Hail Atlantis!

1975 XL-100, 1978 CX500, 1980 CX500, 1981 CX500

The first time I put my engine back in I had to use a jack and pry bar to move things around.

Now I have done it enough I feel like I can just sit it in there and throw some bolts at it and be done.

Do you happen to have any "alignment punches" (some people call them lady fingers I think) I use the at work to line up control arms and stuff. They might be handy.
    1980 CX500 Deluxe

I've always put in the long lower bolt first, then you have a pivot point to align the other bolt holes with using a trolley jack. I've never had an alignment problem, although sometimes they can be a little fiddly.

Although my bike is an early model I have left out the top hanger near the coils on the premise that the TI bikes don't use it so it is probably redundant. One thing less to remove for the carb synch.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Sponsored Links