CDI and coil questions
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hey everyone, I've been doing some research (Ebay and some of the links posted in this forum) on the CDI units and coils. Is there any swap kits for either of these? Compatible newer coils or CDI units? I looked up the Ignitech kit and tried to find a used CDI and coils on Ebay, the Ignitech (only one) had 4 coil packs and looked like it needed custom wiring. Coils were hard to find, most websites don't carry them any more. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Are you looking to replace both the coils and CDI at the same time?

1979 CX500D
    2004 ST1300A
    1983 CX650 Custom

I've been wondering (not to jack your thread, Parker) what coils are compatible with an '83 cx650C? I need to replace one of the coils and they've been a bit tricky to find as well.
    '83 cx650 Custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PantheonMan View Post
    I've been wondering (not to jack your thread, Parker) what coils are compatible with an '83 cx650C? I need to replace one of the coils and they've been a bit tricky to find as well.

I suspect a standard car coil will work with your Transistor Ignition engine like these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coi...4a2161&vxp=mtr

However their size could be a problem.If you can find a similar car one in a smaller unit that should work.

CDI coils have only 1 HT(Plug Wire) and 1 LT(Fly Lead) and a resistance between 5k ohms and 7.5k ohms.Coils likes yours have only around 1.5 ohms I'm led to believe and have 2 fly leads and one thick Spark plug lead.

One of these may be pressed into service,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITION...250d70&vxp=mtr

$9 only!

But you would have to be a guinea pig for it like I was when finding alternative CDI ignition coils.I took a calculated gamble which paid off for me and many as per,

http://globalcxglvtwins.forumlaunch....php?f=10&t=335

But just to recap CDI coils cannot be used on TAI(Transistor Advanced Ignition) engines.

HTH
    I won't miss the Human Race,well maybe,"Fish-and-Chips"

Ok guys thanks, but some of this is kinda Greek to me. The unit under the seat is the CDI (ignition controller) right? These coils still use this system, or do they bypass it? Also, I've read a couple posts saying a failing stator will cause this. I'm a Harley guy and this is nothing like thier ignition. If someone could break it down a little more for me I'd appreciate it alot. BTW my bike is a 1980 CX500c with pod intakes and gutted factory mufflers.

"I've been wondering (not to jack your thread, Parker) what coils are compatible with an '83 cx650C? I need to replace one of the coils and they've been a bit tricky to find as well."

email me if you would want a used '83 CX650C coil for $10 plus actual shipping (guessing about $8). motorcycleguy DOT rich AT gmail DOT com Let me know which side, from the riders perspective.
    Sure, I'm crazy, but life is more interesting that way!

'76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650 E,T (sold the C)

the factory manuals are in the opening sticky about Forum Rules guidelines and useful information.

the 500 has a CDI ignition. I looked but did not see an ohm value for the coils. I have Haynes manual & it seems to say 2 to 3 ohms. Some coils have suppression built in and there is no valid ohm reading given. The coil has to be connected to power to test (I know this is true for my 83 GL650)

If you want to replace coils (probably a good idea) you need to look at the primary resistance. the primary side of the coil is powered by the CDI and needs to have a high enough resistance so that the CDI won't overheat from too much current. The replacement coil must have as high or higher resistance (OHMS) than the original, other than that all it has to do is fit in the hole. The Dual tower coils can work if it is the right one... a coil for a Harley that has only one plug per cylinder should work.There would be 2 primary inputs(small wires) and 2 spark plug leads. Dual tower coils that fire 2 plugs at the same time into one cylinder will not work because there is only one primary and no way to separate the timing of the sparks to 2 cylinders.

the resistance in the secondary will not matter. a 12 volt coil with matching or higher primary resistance will work and there are a lot of choices. I would not bother with 30 year old stock coils, look for 3 ohm replacements.

Primary coil resistance is as stated important, and trying to get new ones in the same range is also the best.... BUT .... Some coild dont have primary listings because they are capacitive coupled. In these the resistance will vary based on frequency of the signal input (AC resistance). These are to help elliminate damage to the "spark unit" if the primary shorts (thus presents no DC short).
    1982 CX500C
    1979 GL1000

For detailed service and repair info, see the CX WIKI Pages
    Rebuilding a carb, do it right with Larry's Carb Book

Some people are like answering machines..... they ask but are incapable of listening

Quote Originally Posted by 379Parker View Post
    Ok guys thanks, but some of this is kinda Greek to me. The unit under the seat is the CDI (ignition controller) right? These coils still use this system, or do they bypass it? Also, I've read a couple posts saying a failing stator will cause this. I'm a Harley guy and this is nothing like thier ignition. If someone could break it down a little more for me I'd appreciate it alot. BTW my bike is a 1980 CX500c with pod intakes and gutted factory mufflers.

Click here for your coils if you have the CDI unit under your seat,

http://globalcxglvtwins.forumlaunch....php?f=10&t=335
    I won't miss the Human Race,well maybe,"Fish-and-Chips"

Hi Am starting to have a similar problem around 5000 RPM would love a simple answer starting from Spark Plug and working my way backward.

1. Rod Modification ( ran better for a while but have found confusing information on the need for a a resistor) Overseas People say its not necessary but don't you have to change the plug?

It would be great if someone can clear this up once and for all.

2. Emgo Coils work with Stock CDI??? A simple yes or no please . . . Or is there some other coil which works. Link Information is very confusing

Sort of a part B if I ultimately have to put in Ignitech Unit will Emgo coils work??

Would hate to blow another $40 - $80 over the $250 on the ignition

Thanks
    Larrys79

New Jersey

CX 500 C 1979

There should be no "extra parts" after a repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links