interchangable parts cx500-650
Close

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I live in Washington State. I am new to your website and also new to the world of Honda CX motorcycles. It looks like you have a great website here and I am glad to be a member. I'm a novice rider, I haven't ridden in 40 yrs until early this summer, when I bought a Honda cm250c to see if I wanted to ride again and get my "sealegs "back. It wasn't long before I wanted something a little bigger and today I bought a 1983 cx650 custom, which leads me to here.

It's has 26,000 mi. and has been in storage for a number of years, it hasn't been licesed since 2003. It does run and I was able to ride it around the block and thru the gears but it does need some work and misc. parts. The air box is missing as well as the left side cover and it has no ignition switch or key (toggle switch turns ignition on), and the gas cap is not correct.

I do have access to a '78std and a '80deluxe xc500 and am wondering what parts are interchangable. I know the side panel is different (I'm looking for one) I'm wondering about drivetrain parts, shaftdrive, airbox,transmission,etc.

Well I guess thats about it for now. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Virtually nothing is interchangeable with any of the 500s. In the 650 models, the engine is the same, that's about it. The CX650C was common enough in the USA so parts are generally available, except for the left side cover. If yours has one, treat it lovingly. I have some 650C parts for sale, email me when you need something. I believe others have some 650C parts as well. I wouldn't sweat the parts availability, but forgo the 500 unless it interests you as a whole bike.

motorcycleguy DOT rich AT gmail DOT com
    Sure, I'm crazy, but life is more interesting that way!

'76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650 E,T (sold the C)

ScottyJ,

If Rich doesn't hve one, I might have a cx650 airbox, ... cant get to it until next week though.

Also, someone else may be parting one, so check out for sale/ classifieds section.

Rich is pretty good though...

Post some pics, and Welcome to the group. (update your profile so we have your model and your city for future refernce when you post)

TimK
    <== my old avatar

83 CX650c & GL650I, plus 82 GL500 --- a couple other projects too
    Been out of commission >> way busy but hoping to devote more time

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

oops

<== my old avatar

83 CX650c & GL650I, plus 82 GL500 --- a couple other projects too
    Been out of commission >> way busy but hoping to devote more time

Are you near seattle at all? Would love to see some pictures.
    My first bike!

1981 CX500C SHE LIVES AND IS LEGAL!!!!

Last thing I need is new grips and Marshalls fan controller.

[s]Next up: Gas tank de-rusting and sealing, and electric fan conversion. [/s]

Parts Needed: [s]Headlight[/s], [s]Turn Signal[/s], [s]Headlight bracket[/s], [s]Stator[/s], [s]Ingitech[/s] (thanks Cobram), CHROME POLISH!!!!, [s]Larrys carb book scratch that... send them to Larry[/s], [s]Tach cable[/s]

(NOTE I am not the one in the picture. He is just helping me with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyJ View Post
    First off, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Scott and I live in Washington State. I am new to your website and also new to the world of Honda CX motorcycles. It looks like you have a great website here and I am glad to be a member. I'm a novice rider, I haven't ridden in 40 yrs until early this summer, when I bought a Honda cm250c to see if I wanted to ride again and get my "sealegs "back. It wasn't long before I wanted something a little bigger and today I bought a 1983 cx650 custom, which leads me to here.

It's has 26,000 mi. and has been in storage for a number of years, it hasn't been licesed since 2003. It does run and I was able to ride it around the block and thru the gears but it does need some work and misc. parts. The air box is missing as well as the left side cover and it has no ignition switch or key (toggle switch turns ignition on), and the gas cap is not correct.

I do have access to a '78std and a '80deluxe xc500 and am wondering what parts are interchangable. I know the side panel is different (I'm looking for one) I'm wondering about drivetrain parts, shaftdrive, airbox,transmission,etc.

Well I guess thats about it for now. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

cam chain is interchangeable, looked it up in a parts suppliers catalouge, also for the non CDI model CX500's you will find that the spark ignitors (little silver box's) are also the same as the CB750 / CB900 DOC ones.

I know this because my 650 trikes ones blew up, cost more than £175 over here from Honda, local bike breaker friend of mine let me root through his parts boxs, found ones in the CX 500 GL box (non cdi model), also the CB 750 / 900 DOC box, tried them, worked fine.

Sponsored Links