Noisy rear suspension (GL500 SilverWing 1981)
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile

My mono shock rear suspension make a screeching noise whenever I sit on the bike or move it. I discovered the noise is coming from one or more of the rear suspension linkage's bushings. I have the Shop Manual and it shows the various bushings with the mention to lubricate them upon reassembly. I'm not the first owner of the bike but I strongly suspect the rear suspension is original. It does seem to work OK so I don't want to dismantle it just to grease a couple of bushings. My questions:

-Could I remove the creaking bushings' bolts and lubricate them without dismantling the whole setup?

-Will the linkage fly out in my face or dislocate if I remove one bolt at a time, grease what's behind the bolt and re tighten the bolt before proceeding to the next one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jacques Pagé

I think I would wait till you have time to take it all apart. There are a lot of bushings that should be cleaned and lubed. There is also the swing arm roller bearings and maybe service the shock as well. If you put it up on the center stand, you can do a little at a time with little risk, but if it is talking to you, I would say a good lube is in order. I'm lucky to have grease fittings on my GL, so you can stay ahead of the problem. I rode with a guy last week that had a GL in need of lube and it was making a nasty sound over every little bump in the road.
    CX650C Rider

GL650 Cafe Project

Member:AMA, VME, OVM, OCMRAG

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/DSCN0499.jpg

You can't get the grease to where it's needed from there. This page might help, I have to get around to mine too, it started squeaking last year.
    1978 CX500 X 2
    1982 GL500I

I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got here, or how I'm going to get out.

Four wheels move the body; Two wheels move the Soul.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have my rear suspension completely dismantled on my GL and the bushings, everyone is scored bad. I think I may have to buy new ones.
    1982 Honda GL500I Silverwing Interstate Bobber Project

Nothing will fly apart and hit you in the face - not like pulling the fork caps off and springs flying if you are not ready! So that is all good. It's a bit of a task but worth the trouble.
    #1=81 GL500I rider sold to Steve, #2=82 Yellow GL500I rider, #3=81 GL500 rider that is/has become parts bike, #4 = 83 GL650 in need of full restore but is becoming a parts bike #5= GL650I rolling basket case that is now on the road #6= Naked GL650 runs but have not started on it yet is missing title but after it's 30 years old next year I can get a new title here in Florida with only a bill of sale. (I'm up to bike #15 or is it #17 now but have sold a few)

You really will have to rmove the Pro-Link unit from your bike to do this job properly.From what you are saying I would say it has not been serviced in a long time and unfortunately you will probably have a difficult job removing the very front nut and bolt due to acess.Without service the bolts can freeze to the sleeves (collars) and the sleeves can freeze to the bushes.You will need PB Blaster or whatever you can get (I use Inox and find it great)Follow the manual regarding replacement of sleeves and bushes,I reckon you will find a lot of damage on the outside of the sleeves where they mate up to the bushes.One repaired grease up with a good HD grease,I mix a little Moly 60 in with it,then,once a year strip down clean and regrease as part of your general maintenance-you will find they come apart easily.-I have three bikes all with Pro-Link and I can do a clean and regrease in about an hour.Good luck.-WK
    CX400 Euro 1986 in mint condition-SOLD

CX400 Euro 1986 fully restored from wreck-SOLD

!970 Honda S90 Sport

GB500 Single 1986

CL400 Street Tracker 2003

I'm in the middle of the same job, but I want to add zirk's. Anywhere special to buy them? Any special kind needed? Threaded or smooth taper?
    Blinded

83 gl...resurrected

83 cx

89 pc

95 gl/se...for sale w/bushtec trailer-sold

05 gl1800

After reading the Zerk write-up, I too am considering it. Without them installed, I can't even see how grease gets in there at all.

Just checked at powersportsplus.com on pricing, just over $100 top replace these bushings. Mine are scored, but not crazy, I'm going to install the Zerks, and reuse these old bushing. The "grooves" will provide area for the grease to reside. right?…

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrasta View Post
    After reading the Zerk write-up, I too am considering it. Without them installed, I can't even see how grease gets in there at all.

Just checked at powersportsplus.com on pricing, just over $100 top replace these bushings. Mine are scored, but not crazy, I'm going to install the Zerks, and reuse these old bushing. The "grooves" will provide area for the grease to reside. right?…
    You still need to get gease in between the collars and the bolts and Zerks will not do this,only stripping down will.Stripping also gives you the opportunity to examine bushes and sleeves.I doubt if the grease I use would go through a zerk,way too "sticky",is used in the mining industry and that is a very harsh enviroment._WK
    CX400 Euro 1986 in mint condition-SOLD

CX400 Euro 1986 fully restored from wreck-SOLD

!970 Honda S90 Sport

GB500 Single 1986

CL400 Street Tracker 2003

To be more clear, my bike is under a full tear down and custom rebuild. Every single bolt has been removed or "stripped".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links