Cx500 Dual Pot Caliper upgrade
Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cx500 Dual Pot Caliper upgrade

There are a few threads on here and on the internet explaining how to upgrade the Cx500 from a single pot caliper to a dual pot caliper with potentially more stopping power.

I am trying to sort the information out again since this thread had a few bumps.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...-caliper-swap/

Now here's a conversion that's causing the confusion.

This write up was done by a fellow member but just in case it disappears I wanted to nail down the information.

http://2wheels2nuts.blogspot.com/200...rake-swap.html

If you own a CX500, one of the biggest hindrances to the bike is that it lacks any real stopping power. The rear is an almost useless drum. The USA models come stock with a single disk, single piston brake. Marry that to a bike that tips the scales around 500lbs and its not a winning combination. There is a bright side. Without any modification to your bike, you can swap the single piston caliper with the dual piston caliper that came on the early 80's CB900's. Marry that to stainless steel brake lines and you've greatly increased your stopping power. I would not recommend swapping out the calipers without changing out the rubber brake line with the steel line.

Before you jump on Ebay like I did and randomly start ordering parts, take some time to study your current caliper and what is being sold online. I dont know all the years that will work but I do know the 82's will work fine. The two things you need to watch out for are 1) that the caliper is for the correct (left) side of the bike since the CB900 ran dual discs and 2) that the bracket is attached/included in the sale. The first caliper I bought didnt have a bracket and I ended up having to buy another caliper since almost no one sells the brackets. In the attached picture, the bracket you are looking for is the piece with the two hole at the bottom of the caliper. Its held onto the caliper by the two bolts just above the bracket. The bolts that come off of your current Caliper should fit fine when you swap out this one. Also dont be afraid of just buying the whole front brake set up off a CB900. I was able to get one cheaper that was than just buying the caliper separately. Also, pick up a new pair of brake pads for good measure.

Since most of these calipers have been probably been sitting for a long time, they are going to be seized, dirty, filled with old brake fluid, etc. So plan on rebuilding them. You can buy a rebuild kit on Ebay for $33.

Next on your shopping list should be some stainless steel brake lines. I called HEL USA and the gentleman there custom built a set for me. If I remember correctly there were around $80. I had to take a couple pics of the fasteners at each end and then take some measurements.

Finally, installation. This was relatively quick and simple. The caliper swap was done in less than 10 minutes. The space was a little crowded since this is a bigger caliper but she fit. The only time consuming phase was plumbing the new brake line and then bleeding the brake.

Now...take your bike out for a ride! It took me about a few days of riding for the new system to really brake in and maybe 2 weeks for me to really get used to it. The CX has a very gradual feel when braking, and when you make this update, the brake is more harsh. There is a lot less forgiveness in manhandling that brake lever now. I will say that having used the CX in daily commuting through Los Angeles traffic the brake upgrade was a hugely noticeable AND came in handy many times.

One thing to note...the surface area of the rotor on the CX is larger than that of the CB...so you may notice this when you first put the caliper on or after you've used it for a bit but about a half an inch or more on the rotor surface will no longer get used. It never bothered/affected me in anyway. I have head of people putting on the CB900 rotor but I dont know how that fits, etc.

New Info

Ok so this all sounds good but what's wrong. Ok I'll tell you. There are two models of cb900. There is a C and an F so saying to get the cb900 bracket caused problems 50% of the time.

Now here are some answers from the group.

LRCXed Larry did the conversion on a 1978-80 cx500 with normal forks that take the 2.5 inch caliper bracket to adapt to the forks. And he used a bracket and caliper from a 1983 Gl650i.

And then there is

Bill S. who did the conversion on a 1981 cx500 custom with leading axle forks that takes the 4 inch Caliper bracket to adapt to the forks. And he used a bracket and caliper bought on ebay from a listing for a 82 Honda CB900c Custom

So if all the info works what that means for us is if you have a

1978-80 cx500 of any variety and I believe the 1981 cx500 deluxe because it doesn't have leading axle forks but I cant be sure. Maybe someone can verify that. The the mounting bolt points on the forks will be 2.5 inches apart and take bracket part number 45110-445-632 is shared with

CM400C

CB400T

CB750F

CB900F

CM450A

CM450C

CB750F

CB900F

GL1100

GL650

GL650I

VT1100C

CB450SC

CMX450C

VT1100C

Parts cross reference comes from http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...0-445-632.html

But if you have a

1981 cx500 custom with leading axle forks the mounting bolt points on the forks will be 4 inches apart and take bracket part number 45110-MA5-006 BRACKET, L. FR. is also used on these models and components:

CB750C

CB900C

FT500

CB550SC

CX650C

FT500

VT500C

VT500FT

VF500C

VT500C

VT500FT

VF500C

VT500C

VT500C

Parts cross reference comes from http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...0-MA5-006.html
    YankeeRon likes this.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

If anyone else can verify this information then manybe we can nail it to the wall and set it in stone for others down the road.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Stitch,

Thanks so much for this.

So my only question at this point is, with the 4" bracket, is it safe to assume that if I get a caliper and bracket off of one of the models listed, that the caliper will be in the proper position to mate with my rotor (not only laterally, but axially as well)?

[EDIT]

Sorry...just read through the updates to my "help me upgrade to a dual-pot caliper" thread. I'll have to re-read and digest as it is a bit dizzying at first blush.

I'm going to go measure my caliper and bracket mounting points to compare to the '83 CX650C dims you posted.
    Proud Owner of "Rufus", a work-in-progress barn-find 1981 CX500 Custom - my first and only motorcycle.

Where did the name come from? I credit my elder daughter:

[Me] Hey kids...so we need to come up with a name for the motorcycle...
    [Daughter] How about Rufus?
    [Me] That's a boy's name...I wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl.
    [Daughter] Oh its a boy.
    [Me] Hm?
    [Daughter] Because its naughty...and all boys are naughty.
    [Me] (Laughing aloud) Rufus it is!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ah crap.

Okay, so I looked at the calipers for a CM400, and a CM450. Here's the rub.

The calipers are different.

This is a 1982 CM450C dual piston caliper

This is a 1981 CM400C dual piston caliper.

They are different designs.

Now what?

Will the CM450C caliper fit in the others bracket?

The listing above is only for the bracket and to use the bottom caliper. If the bracket isn't the same then I'll cross it off the list.

Okay, here is a CM450C bracket with caliper.

I kind of see what is going on here, but what I don't get is why the difference, or if the calipers will be compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy_d View Post
    Okay, here is a CM450C bracket with caliper.

I kind of see what is going on here, but what I don't get is why the difference, or if the calipers will be compatible.

Between your calipers or the brackets used to attach to the normal vs. leading axle forks.

Both the 1981 CM400C and 1982 CM450C are standard forks.

What is confusing me is the difference in the upper left corner caliper mounting points.

One uses a standard slide bolt, the other is . . . I don't know what the hell it is.

It has a nut on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy_d View Post
    Both the 1981 CM400C and 1982 CM450C are standard forks.

What is confusing me is the difference in the upper left corner caliper mounting points.

One uses a standard slide bolt, the other is . . . I don't know what the hell it is.

It has a nut on it.
    Just noticed the nut. Guess that can come off the list.

Great. I already bought the bracket.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links