Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    again the background,...3rd owner of a 79CX500C; I have no maintenance history, all 17.8K miles logged under one rider. I am assuming the valves have never been adjusted before. I have the Clymers and am following it step-by-step...I have the left side set to TDC, the TL is lined up with the arrow in the window. On to my questions...

Is it safe to assume that having the TL lined up with the arrow, that I am precisely at TDC? the reason I ask is because I had to back the adjusting screw off nearly 2 full turns to achieve the .004" snug feel between the rocker pin and the exhaust valve. I stopped and didn't touch the rest because that seems like an aweful lot of adjustment--maybe this is normal? I come from a 2-stroke world, no valves ever, and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

My thoughts are, that the piston is not at TDC and I am over adjusting the valve clearance?

Once the correct adjustment is found, what should the torque be for the 10mm hold down nut?

The plug I removed was black,...not crusty black, but not a nice golden burn either...just rebuilt the carbs...maybe I am a bit rich?

Does this sound right to you guys? I welcome any and all input!
    Rick - Cleveland, Ohio

1979 CX500 Custom

I would use a T-handled screwdriver and watch it as the piston goes up and down. When it's at TDC you will know. It is possible that the PO went nuts and did what they though. I have had several engines like this.

I cant remember the torque of those nuts but it's light like 6 pounds. To much and the threads of the tappet will either shread or the tappet will snap in half.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
    I would use a T-handled screwdriver and watch it as the piston goes up and down. When it's at TDC you will know. It is possible that the PO went nuts and did what they though. I have had several engines like this.

I cant remember the torque of those nuts but it's light like 6 pounds. To much and the threads of the tappet will either shread or the tappet will snap in half.

thanks! we're having a bit of lake-effect here in Cleveland...not much accumulation--YET!

Just to confirm the direction of rotation is Clockwise when spinning the engine correct?--I think that I might not have been at TDC on a compressions stroke. I will go over everything again another night as I have had a long day.
    Rick - Cleveland, Ohio

1979 CX500 Custom

Clockwise when sitting in front of the engine with the ratchet set to tighten.

Have you seen Lucky's three videos on how to do it?
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
    Clockwise when sitting in front of the engine with the ratchet set to tighten.

Have you seen Lucky's three videos on how to do it?

Those videos are very helpful. Some things to note: Lucky was turning counterclockwise which you can do but you take the chance the bolt will unscrew. Clockwise is better.

What surprised me was how little movement there seemed to be in the rocker arms. Both the intake and discharge rockers ought to be able to move slightly if you're on the compression stroke. At TDC you're either on the compression stroke or you're not. If you are, the rockers both move and you can go ahead and check the lash. If they don't both move, then you need to roll the crank around one more time until you see the TL mark again (assuming you're checking the left cylinder first.).

I did not use a torque wrench when I tightened down the adjustment nuts; I just snugged them without being very aggressive at all. They're tight but not so tight I'll have trouble getting them loose the next time.

While you've got the left cylinder on TDC, go ahead and service the cam adjuster. Then move on to the right cylinder.
    Jay Hanig

1982 GL500 Silverwing (naked)
    ATGATT / "Better to wipe off sweat than blood."

My bike

I always thought you did the LEFT cylinder valves first.....as in left while sitting on the bike......
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 59. G-Loria 82 500 Silverwing Interstate, 15k

CLICK ME FOR MY STORY>>

Photo posting tips!

WIKI link for all the good tech stuff

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

doesn't really matter which side you do first, as long as they are both done, and on the right stroke - some people get thrown out when both sets don't move and think that they need to majorly loosen some overtight tappets - only to find out they are not on TDC for compression... roll the motor around a few times with a long t-handle down the plug hole - you will soon see when you are at TDC for either cylinder and then it's just a matter of picking it when both sets of valve rockers are loose or clicky...
    81 CX500 Custom

82 CX500 Turbo

i think the main reason for doing the left first is that,one can do the cam chain adjustment at the same time.

http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/Twiste...tm#CXGLTappets
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    i think the main reason for doing the left first is that,one can do the cam chain adjustment at the same time.

http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/Twiste...tm#CXGLTappets

sorry bandit - I believe it doesn't make any difference if you do left or right- the cam chain tensioner don't care if its left or right at TDC as long as one is....I stand to be corrected...and apologise in advance if I'm wrong......

81 CX500 Custom

82 CX500 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 81custom View Post
    sorry bandit - I believe it doesn't make any difference if you do left or right- the cam chain tensioner don't care if its left or right at TDC as long as one is....I stand to be corrected...and apologise in advance if I'm wrong......

lol.you are not wrong,no appology needed,you are indeed correct.if you were not going to adjust the camchain,then it would make no difference,left or right first
    1981 GL500 , UK MODEL,needing a bit of tender loving care

1982 GL500 , UK MODEL,my daily ride.

Andalucia,in the south of spain

aka spanish bandit

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors