Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Wallace and Gromit

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Stubby 
#1 ·

Hi all,

Has anyone on site fitted a sidecar to their CX? I'm seriously considering it but there appears to be a vital component missing from the CX - frame rails to bolt the sidecar to!

Cheers

Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, it certainly has been done.

Check out the "customization" area in this site and you should be able to find some threads on the same using the search function. You may have to go to the old site (choppercharles.com) to find older discussions on the same.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Actually the search will work at the old forum, but don't use the search box in the blue header banner at the upper right corner.

When you are in the individual forums(general forum, technical forum, etc.)there are two buttons near the top of the page on the left side, one says "post" and the other says "search", if you click that search button it will bring up a search box that will work.

#4 ·
Hi,

I put a Ural sidecar on a 1981 Honda CX500C. The Honda powers and stops the sidecar much better than the Ural 650 ever did. You need a subframe mount for the front and universal mounts for the rear. Not nearly as easy as you would think. Mounts can be found on line. Go to United sidecar assoc. on line and ask. There are a few companies out there that still have them. It is much harder to mount a sidecar to a Silverwing as there is no rear frame section or shocks. AND there is a big difference between the mounts for a 650 and 500. In the end it was well worth it, and have put about 3,000 miles on it so far.

Ken

#7 ·
I've been thinking lately about adding a sidecar to Maggie. I have been reading up on the leaning or tilting sidecar designs as possibility. Since they have to use a pivot point on the centerline of the moto, and near the Center of Mass, I think a mounting system may be easy to duplicate. Here is idea I think may work - link to ADVRider thread on one type of leaning sidecar.

Meanwhile, off to search the old board for more info!

#8 ·
Sidecar Bob in Ontario has done a couple, his current winter rig is a modified CX650E with a Velorex. "Mayor" J Arsen@ult, Quebec, put a chair on a GL650I and built an electric tilt mechanism that was way creative and effective by the pics I saw of it. Both fellows are quite resourceful and generous with their info, and "old timers" in this CX/GL world. They are here on ocassion, and info is also posted somewhere on their rides. The subframe can be and has been built "at home" by some folks. I know I'm short on specific help, but maybe I'm pointing someone in the right direction.

#10 ·
I have considered rigging up a special sidecar that I could use to take my wheelchair bound daughter for rides with my wife and I. There was a great article last year in Rider magazine about a guy that built this type of sidecar rig so his son could ride with him. His is attached to a Valkyrie I believe and it is super heavy duty,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.