Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Right cylinder cuts out occasionally

747 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveF 
#1 ·
Hello again all, I'm in need of some help.

I picked up an '82 gl500 last winter and it hasn't run well since I got it. The guy I got it from said he replaced all the wires. I'm assuming now that he meant the wires connecting the plug caps to the ignition coils.

Here's a typical story of my experience with the bike:

It's been about a week since it last ran. I'll start it and it turns over strong but takes as much of a minute of starting to start firing. It putts a bit and then roars to life, firing on both cylinders. I get my gear on and start riding and I'm giddy. About 5-10 minutes in, the right cylinder suddenly stops firing. I can take the plug cap off and nothing changes, so it isn't getting a spark.

The weird part is when it comes back and goes away. I'll be riding on one cylinder and I'll open the throttle way up and at probably around 4-6k rpm (tach is broken) it starts firing again, which is probably dangerous because I shoot off unexpectedly. I'm trying hard to find a pattern that explains how the cylinder starts and stops firing. It's usually 10 minutes on, 5 min off, 1 min on, 10 off, 5 sec on. but sometimes the engine will be hot and it just decides to work properly for a while. I'm having a lot of trouble making sense of it.

I took it to a mechanic and they suggested that it was a coil problem, so I decided to change them out myself. 2 coils that didn't fit(The cheap CDI one, then the wemoto one which was still too small for the bracket) and one used old coil pack later, and I'm having the same problem.

Please help me. I'm on the verge of giving up, but the short spurts of a fully functional engine are keeping me hanging on. I sure love the sound of this bike. Thank you all.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.