Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

losing power on my gl500

I recently bought a gl500 that had been sitting for about two years, inside of the tank looked clean so I installed a cheap inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carb just in case. to my delight, it started right away, idled and ran just fine. Then after about 45 miles of around town cruising I was going about 50 mph and it started to sputter like it was running out of gas, I pulled off of the road but then the problem seemed to go away. I drove for about five more miles when it happened again, this time completely shutting down and not starting again even when cold. I removed the fuel filter which was clean and unclogged. any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum,
    You came to the right place for info regarding your GL500.
    Please add you bike model to your signature line that way other members can see what type of bike you have for any further questions.
    Did you clean the carbs after you got the bike? After sitting for 2 years something that was already in the carb may have jarred loose
    and clogged a jet or orifice so the in-line filter would not have helped for that. You should take the carbs off and give them a thorough cleaning.
    Pull your spark plugs and see what condition they are in.
    I'm sure other members will chime in with their thoughts on the matter as well.
    HTH

Ride Safe
    Last edited by Ranger; 08-11-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    1981 Honda GL500I
    1982 Honda GL500I

Semper Ride

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" -
    Edmund Burke

Could be a slew of things, but sounds like it may be a fuel delivery issue (not enough gas to keep the float bowls full). You shuld start with the usual checks to narrow it down (like checking for good spark, seeing if it will start with starting fluid sprayed in the card etc). Check to make sure the fuel filter is in the right way, and also to make sure its not restricting the flow too much (some have some some types of inline filters cause all sorts of issues if the restrict the flow too much)

Yes. If you have the CDI ignition then be suspect. It fails at 50 mph when its going to the crapper. If you have the Igniters, then look elsewhere. Also must drain carbs and look at the float bowls for crud and mineral build-up. Check gas cap vent hole, vacuum petcock, and vacuum line to petcock. Water in tank or floatbowls will do this. You have one symptom and many causes, so ask people in this Forum for advice and buya factory service manual. If the fuel filter has absorbed any water, it will craper. Even though it looks clean. Blow through it and determine the resistance it exhibits. Check all "Bullit" connectors for corrosion, and modify main fuse holder to "Blade" fuse type. Do this maintenance now and you will have a dependable ride in the future. Happy riding. Loosecanon dinowilliesII

??? could be a "Mud Dauber" in the pipe.

But first things first : Look at your spark plugs and first determine if it's a spark or fuel issue...

Then replace stator and panic as needed
    82 CX500c

SPRINT... the worst cell phone company ever IMHO.

Also don't trust that the tank looks clean and the in-line fuel filter.
    I had very fine rust going through the filter messing up my carbs.
    Stick a long mechanic's magnet down in the corners of that tank and see what you pull out, one of those little mirrors might help too.
    1982 GL500I

i did not clean the carbs, I thought I got lucky when it ran n idled ok I will pull spark plugs next, thanks for the help

fuel filter is in the right way and when I blew through it by the side of the road gas came out.

I don't know what kind of ignition I have but it is the interstate model, is there somewhere I can look to tell?

thanks for all the great help, I wont give up until shes back on the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors