Honda CX 500 Forum banner

First Bike. 1980 CX500 Custom

5K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Robert 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok...well this is my first Post. This is my first street bike. I am not much of a auto mechanic but I am going to do my best as I go. With every ones help I know I can do it. I will be posting pics as I go as well as asking questions. Will appreciate any help I can get.

#31 ·
i tried an easy out on the heat shield screw and it broke off into the screw. I am just going to replace the H box or get rid of it when I am able to buy some Murry carbs. As for the broken bolt in the head I am going to get some one with experience to drill and tap it.

#32 ·
as for the work done today. I got all the wires labeld and pulled on the front end. Got the tack and speedometer asy. removed. bleed all the old break fluid out with new. Was hoping that would free up my front breaks but they are still tight. Will be looking into what to do with that. Also I need to look up where to and how to drain the coolant. I am planing on dropping the engine to replace all the seals, timing chain, and probably go with the stater upgrade.

#33 ·
Man, I can just imagine all the work you have ahead of you getting that bike in good shape again. I'm also on my first build, but it isnt anywhere near as rusted up and misused as your bike.
I big good luck in your endeavours, will be nice to see your progress down the line!

#38 ·
well I just picked up a rear fender that I will be mocking up, and filling holes that I do not need in the new/old fender. I will not be using the stock air box since I will be using pods. Is there any thing I can cut off the bike and clean it up before I take it in to get sand blasted? O ya and I got every thing stripped off the bike, and I only found one spot that the rust broke through and that was on the right side passenger foot peg mount. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.