Honda CX 500 Forum banner

First Bike. 1980 CX500 Custom

5K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  Robert 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok...well this is my first Post. This is my first street bike. I am not much of a auto mechanic but I am going to do my best as I go. With every ones help I know I can do it. I will be posting pics as I go as well as asking questions. Will appreciate any help I can get.

#18 ·
You need to have a washer on that shock mount. Otherwise, the nut will tear up the rubber bushing, and it could creep off the stud (over the nut).

R

#5 ·
You really need to check out all the info on this forums data base. It will require some study on your part before you can effectively fix this bike. It is not difficult but you will not accomplish much otherwise with a hit and miss approach. We are here to advise along the way but you must do your homework.

#6 · (Edited)
The carb boot is probably available from someone on the forum. (I'll check and see if I have a decent extra.) Worst case Partzilla has one for $38

16211-449-003 INSULATOR, R. CARB $37.75

The next pic is the Turn signal relay. They are about $10-$15 on ebay if yours is bad.

Wiring is just a take your time job. There is a color schematic in the Wiki pages

http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/home

Reactions: TheWiscoKid
#7 ·
On that cracked rubber you can use this stuff called Shoe Goo if your really interested in going a cheap route. Depends on which way you are going, complete restore, or just get her running.

The headlight wires... Oi

#8 · (Edited)
wrong thread

#9 ·
Auto part Vehicle Engine Fuel line Car

Ok well this week I installed a new battery and replaced the gas in the bike. I also was able to fire it up for the first time after I got the battery in, felt like a little kid again. next I will drain the oil, replace the oil filter and fill. Will be doing some reading about Maintenance on the rear drive assembly, take apart grease and any thing else that might be needed. The bike has sat for 6 years so I do not want to miss any thing. It seems to be difficult to push the bike backwards. every time I work on it I push it outside and it gets a little easier but there is still a squeak to it. Any ideas?

#16 ·
well I have not had any time to work on the bike this weekend. I have found lighting to set up a shop in my basement. The bike is not at my home at the moment witch is really slowing me down. hopefully soon I will be bringing it home. My boss is bringing in a set of Suzuki Intruder mufflers for free. So i will need to make hangers and I think I will need a reducer for the transition. will see how it looks when I get them, hopefully Monday. My oil seal for the shiftier leg has come in, I got my oil ready and a oil filter. Will get to it this week, hopefully sooner rather then later. and will be getting the lights set up tomorrow

#17 ·
Well I have been working on removing the stock mufflers. Boy are they if there good. one is just broke off like an inch out of the H box, and the other is really tight. have been hitting it with WD 40 for the last three days and working on it, but am not making really any progress. I think I will be dropping the entire exhaust system and let the H box soak in some thing. Any one have any good advice on what to use to soak it in?
Also have been working on removing the radiator cover. found that in order to do this I need to remove the engine guard foot rest thing. It is bolted on to the engine mount bolts. One of the bolts will not budge. I am worried about breaking it off. any hints on getting it out?

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Whoa! I'll stand to be corrected, BUT I don't think the H-Box should be soaked in anything.
I once soaked my H-box in Evaporust before repainting.

I'd try to get that muffler off before removing the rest of the system. You won't find anything better to hold the H-box than the bike itself while you wrench that muffler off. The broken stub can be removed with the careful application of a hacksaw and cold chisel.

+1 on the PB Blaster and heat.

+2 on the mentor.

R

#21 · (Edited)
O my. That is good to know. Good eye by the way, thank you.
I will pick up some pb blaster tomorrow. I agree with getting a mentor. I did have a guy I know that is a 4 Wheeler wiz. He is not used to working on any thing this old though. But he does seem like a help. But does not know anything about our carbs.

#22 ·
Aaaaa! Now the other muffler is starting to break off inside of the H box. I got one heat sheald off but the other is solid. The screws are not budging. My 4 Wheeler wiz friend tried using an easy out but just broke it off in the screw. Do you think. That I am better off just getting a new H box? I was planing on trying to save this one but I have been fighting it for three days now. This week I might try the sawl zawl trick

#25 ·
do you know any one in my area that could give it a look over?
I got the tank off now. I want to try cleaning the carbs. I am not to sure the best way to get them off for the job though??? any one got a good link for a carb cleaning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.