Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Can I avoid having to take carbs off?

468 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  missing linkage 
#1 ·
Been a while since I posted, figured I'd give you fellas a break from my billion and three questions.

So I fire up my bike last week and I've got a few "irregularities."

Bike doesn't want to keep running at idle with the fuel switch at regular, but seems OK (or at least better) at the reserve setting.
Bike putters and stutters until she stalls between 3rd and 4th gear (or between 30 an 40 mph) with fuel switch at either position.
It feels like fuel is getting into the carbs, but not THROUGH them. When I throttle up she want to boogie, but she stutters and dies out if she doesn't backfire and catch up to the throttle position

I ran some Seafoam through it today and saw SOME improvement, but she's still not roadworthy.

I'm not great with doing the wrenching myself, and I'm honestly a little timid about taking the carbs apart AND I don't really have a guy around here (St. Louis) I can get to do it. Can you fellas diagnose a problem(s) from these symptoms? And, is there any way to take care of it without doing any real delicate work?

After the winter we just had, I'm dying to lose the cage. Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like a dirty idle circuit.

You could keep trying to run carb cleaner through it and hope for the best but I think you'll end up pulling your carbs.

Maybe want to consider getting a copy of Larrys carb book?

What year is your bike? Early bikes have pressed in idle jets which can be a hassle but later ones have screw in.

#4 ·
Close your eyes, breathe deep, get Larry's book, and do your carbs. You and your bike will become as one. You will understand so much more about what's going on between your legs...well, at least while you're on your bike.

#5 ·
I am about two hours west of St. Louis and would be happy to clean the carbs with you at my garage. I have Larry's book and a ultrasonic cleaner. I have done a dozen or so, and can usually get most of the parts back inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.