Honda CX 500 Forum banner

front brake problem

705 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  beef uk 
#1 ·
i have a dodgy front left caliper.
it was binding on. i thought it was a dodgy piston so replaced that and the seal. and set about cleaning the rest of it all up.
when it came to the caliper slide bolt the little rubber sheath was damaged and this may have been the main cause of the issue.

question is how does the piston go back in to place after the lever is released. is it the vacum casued by the mounting bolt pushing it away from the disk. or something else.

reason is i can not get hold of the caliper mount pin rubber. or the correct pin for that matter. bike has been off road for 2 weeks now and i need to get it road worthy this week end

#2 ·
Correct Pin?? The brakes when released just are pushed back my the disc.
The " mounting" bolts are just guides for the caliper to move back and forth.
I think I understand what you are asking.

#3 · (Edited)
I had the same issue, and it was the slide pin rubber causing it to bind;

The rubber seems to be for noise/vibration reduction - I was going to try running without it or Murray's idea of using tool dip to try and replicate it's functionality but I ended up needing the bike back together sooner than I had thought, so I just borrowed the slide pins from a spare set of calipers I had.

I couldn't even find the rubber piece on any parts fiche so I don't like your chances of finding it separately.

The replacement - despite coming from a set of calipers which looked really nasty - was in great nick. What they SHOULD look like:

...and sorted the brake sticking issue.

#4 ·
jc that top photo is pretty much my part.
but if you look the bottom one is different. has it been ok with that one in it?
have another one but its not exactly the sake as the one its replacing....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.