Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Gearbox bearings

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Tallpaul 
#1 ·
As the reult of a bottom end failure, I am building one engine out of two. I intend to give the main case a good clean out and therefore want to remove the gearbox bearings. One is a blind fitting and a special Honda tool is detailed. It appears to be a slide hammer with an expanding end.

As I have no access to one of these, is there an alternative way to get this out?

#2 ·
I assume you are talking about the 3 bearings that are located in the engine case behind the transmission. If so you are talking about the bearing that has the oil plate behind it. There is no other way to get it out other than a blind hole bearing puller. I bought a blind hole bearing puller kit from Harbor Freight and it worked great. Was not very expensive. That bearing is a NTN 6204LU. A 6204 LLU works as well it just has a seal on both sides. You can just pop out a seal on one side...other than that they are identical. When you use a blind hole bearing puller, expanding type with a slide hammer, be careful with the orfice on the oil plate as its easy to reshape the oil plate orfice while putting the expander in the bearing.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, I don't need to remove these bearings, but felt that a clean out behind them would be a good idea.

#5 ·
Same here, the chain had been eating to excess and in addition, the big ends are shot, with lots of pretty copper flakes in the oil!

#7 ·
Paul.....for the cost of the bearings vs a problem caused by a failed dirty bearing......

It might be a worthwhile investement to replace the bearings and clear the debris out of the bores.

Pop down to your local auto store. They may have "rental" tools that you could use. I know in the US many autostores have a tool rental service.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input from all. I have taken advice from two forums and decided to warm the case and then "bump" it onto a timber board. Both bearings popped out easily. Result! New bearings now ordered. These will go into the freezer for half an hour before dropping in.

#9 ·
There is a way around almost everything, liberal hammering and dynamite usage will further reduce the things which are somewhat harder to get around.:p

#10 ·
Ha! I'm trying to limit the hammering and explosives this early on in the rebuild!

#14 ·
Brilliant, thanks Trev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.