Honda CX 500 Forum banner

loose engine hanger bolt

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  blivy 
#1 ·
one of my engine hanger bolts (lower one, see pic) has stripped threads and therefore won't torque down.

Right now I have it running through the hanger and into the head. It's tight enough to not fall out, but nowhere near actually tight, and it does rattle a bit.

I'm guessing that to fix this I'll need a tap and die set.
This is something I've never used...any recommendations? I have seen cheaper ones at Harbor Freight, but like all of you have had very mixed results with that store (in regards to quality).
Also, I'm taking that it would be fine to tap out the threads in the head...am I making a false assumption?
Thanks,
Blivy
Auto part Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
where is it stripped?
In the head, the nut, or the bolt?

If its the head maybe a helicoil kit would be a good choice
If its the other 2, just replace them

#3 ·
It's in the head Kameron.
I'm gonna sound dumb, but I'll have to look up what a helicoil is.
thanks,
blivy

#4 · (Edited)
its essentially a thread insert kit that allows you to keep the same bolt. You just need to know the threads for the bolt and then find a supplier for the kit
I know its an M10 bolt but I don't remember if the threads are 1.25 or 1.5
Find that out and then order your kit

#5 ·
Thanks Kameron.
-B

#6 · (Edited)
McMaster Carr has the inserts you will need. On a set of heads I have I had to fix one of the stud mounts. I don't recall if it was 1.0 or 1.25 either. I think it was 1.25. I had trouble finding a kit that came with the inserts and installation tool in the m10 size in my area. I had to buy the tap seperate. Its not a common size so its kinda rare to find. Come to think of it I believe O'REILLY Autoparts ordered me a kit and that is where I got the installation tool from. I ordered a stainless thread insert and did both heads. Used antiseaze with the stainless.

#7 ·
Csmith...do you recall roundabout how much that ran you?

#10 · (Edited)
Here is the link to the kit that came from Oreillys, $56. Mainly $$$ because it comes with the tap and the installer. Does not come with the required drill bit. I picked up one at Home Depot. It is a 13/32" bit that is needed. Bit was maybe $7-8 bucks.

Heli-Coil 5543-10 - Metric Thread Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Then, I ordered some longer inserts from McMaster Carr. The inserts that come in the kit are only 15mm long. After I got the kit I wanted something a bit longer to give the mounting stud more bite since the threads are long. The ones from McMaster are 20mm. The 15mm ones in the kit will work but I am weird and wanted a bit more. They were only $6.22 for a pack of 5 so I figured why not, its cheap.

McMaster-Carr

I couldn't remember where I got what since it had been a while. I have several sets of used heads I got off ebay. Several of them had galled threads where the mount stud stud goes it. It seems whoever removed the stud did not take their time and use penetrating oil/ heat. I am sure it was rusty etc so some of the threads were messed up.

I am 99% sure the threads are 1.25 vs 1 or 1.5. Will double check tonight. If you have not installed inserts before you might want to practice on something. The bigger and longer inserts will want to twist on you a bit even when using the installation tool. Oil or anti-seize is a must when putting the insert in.

#9 ·
Blivy, I had to do the same thing with both of the heads on my 80. I bought the kit to do the helicoil and drill bit as well. Pm me and I can mail it to you to fix yours.

#12 ·
I would think that a 'tap and die' technique, will work the best and the easiest , to repair such a stripped bolt and nut ?

#13 ·
Holyman,
thanks for the offer.
I plan to call a shop today (just to see if it's reasonably priced to have them do it). If so, I'll just do it quickly here in town and be done with it.
If not, I will definitely PM you.
Thanks so much...another reason why this forum and the folks on it are so awesome.
-blivy

#14 ·
csmith,
thanks for checking on the bolt specs and for all the specifics. I wonder if that detailed info would be good to make into a wiki...it seems that other folks have had this same problem too.
I appreciate the help.
B

#17 ·
Not yet Holyman, though thanks for asking.
Work/life got in the way so I'm just riding my short commute with a botl that's not torqued down.
I figure it won't do any harm.
I don't know about you, but this time of year when the days start getting just a touch shorter...it makes it that much harder to find time to wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.