engine flooded?
Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine flooded?

My bike has been sitting for about two weeks while I was waiting for a new fan to do a fan replacement. I flushed the cooling system, installed fan, replaced radiator, filled system, etc. Obviously, I had the tank off. When I replaced the tank and started the engine, it started hard, I cranked it a few times giving it some gas not realizing the choke lever had fallen back down. Pulled choke back up, and the engine started. Let it run on choke for maybe 15 seconds, then put the choke back in. The bike idled smoothly, but looked down and gas was pouring out of (both?) carbs. Shut fuel off, wiped up fuel. Turned fuel back on, leak began again. Turned fuel off, wiped down. Turned fuel on, started bike. Leaking less, and only out of left carb. Took it for spin around block. Came back, still leaking slowly. Turned bike off, pulled tank. Wiped leak down, replaced tank, started bike. It is still dripping, but much less from left carb only.

Thoughts please. I am an extreme novice at this stuff.
    Jason

1978 CX500 (79 engine)

sounds like your float is stuck try tapping on the carb that is leaking and then report back here the findings
    1982 cx500 c

if you can read this then thank a teacher, if you can read this in english then thank a solider

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD THE WIND SAY HOSTILES TO YOU!?

when the going gets bad how bad does the going get

[quote ]i know i am crazy but not that crazy[/quote]

valve and cam chain adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    sounds like your float is stuck try tapping on the carb that is leaking and then report back here the findings

I did that and it may have helped since it is leaking less and only out of one carb. It isn't leaking out of the overflow tube, which is what I would expect if the float was stuck. It's leaking from somewhere higher on the carb.
    Jason

1978 CX500 (79 engine)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The floats could be mildly stuck. Put the bike on its center stand and take the back of a screwdriver and tap the side of the carb bowls on each side and see if the leaking stops. Don't run the engine during this. It may also help to drain the carbs and refill while doing this.

If it isn't that then it's probably slightly cracked bowl overflow tubes. There's a fix for that too.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
    The floats could be mildly stuck. Put the bike on its center stand and take the back of a screwdriver and tap the side of the carb bowls on each side and see if the leaking stops. Don't run the engine during this. It may also help to drain the carbs and refill while doing this.

If it isn't that then it's probably slightly cracked bowl overflow tubes. There's a fix for that too.

I had a cracked tube on the other carb when I first bought the bike last month. I ended up replacing that bowl. It is not leaking from the overflow tube like I would think it would if it was a cracked tube, or even a stuck float. It is leaking from somewhere higher on the carb.
    Jason

1978 CX500 (79 engine)

ok dumb question here but do you think you could of gotten the fuel lines hooked up wrong and you have the fuel line running to the vent on the carb??
    1982 cx500 c

if you can read this then thank a teacher, if you can read this in english then thank a solider

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    ok dumb question here but do you think you could of gotten the fuel lines hooked up wrong and you have the fuel line running to the vent on the carb??

Well, there isn't a dumb question considering my mechanical experience, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It's just a single fuel line coming from the petcock to a nipple on the outside of the left carb.
    Jason

1978 CX500 (79 engine)

hmm well then i guess i was stupid i didnt realize you had a early model of bike i am used to my 82 i am almost wondering if some one was screwing with your bike you might want to pull off the carbs and make sure everything is tight on it
    1982 cx500 c

It may be the O rings on the crossover tube that is leaking. Sometimes it is hard to tell when these leak as they quickly let gas flow down to the outside of the float bowl. Only solution is to remove the carbs, separate them and replace the O rings on the tube. I once thought it was possible to just separate them enough to get the tube out, but that didn't pan out.

TAS Supply has these O rings, I think about $5.00 for 2.
    1983 GL650I, 1980 CX500, 1974 CB350F, 1973 CT90

Need information? Try our new Wiki site: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post

I will try draining the carb and tapping on it while it's refilling in the morning. Hopefully this does the trick. As always, thanks for everyone's help.
    Jason

1978 CX500 (79 engine)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links