vinegar carb clean
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wow i saved someones vineager carb claening steps. but my computer cant find it .

and i need to clean carbs again floats are sticking. .. and wanna try this process.

sorry to ask for this link but i have been looking for almost a hour. any help would be nice

thanx

1978 cx 500....

1979 cx 500.....

87 suzuki samurai

88 full size bronco

If just your floats are sticking, you only need to clean them. I use a Q-tip with a bit of 0000 steel wool wrapped around the end. (take the cotton off first) Then twirl it a few times with you fingers and remove. Then use the other end with either Brasso or toothpaste to polish the seat in the same manner. Make sure the spring button on the end of the needle will compress and release, and put it back together.
    1983 GL650I, 1980 CX500, 1974 CB350F, 1973 CT90

Need information? Try our new Wiki site: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Whatever you do only use Vinegar cold.Never boil the carbs in it as it's an acid.

Full section on the carbs here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdeliv...11377f9ab72a6d

HTH

Amended
    I won't miss the Human Race,well maybe,"Fish-and-Chips"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Whatever you do never only ever use Vinegar cold.

Never only ever
    ...and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind, let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new. Hail Atlantis!

1975 XL-100, 1978 CX500, 1980 CX500, 1981 CX500

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Never only ever

"Never only ever" is a complex double negitive meaning "always" ... therefore, it reads

"Whatever you do "always" use Vinegar cold.Never boil the carbs in it as it's an acid."
    1982 CX500C
    1979 GL1000

For detailed service and repair info, see the CX WIKI Pages
    Rebuilding a carb, do it right with Larry's Carb Book

Some people are like answering machines..... they ask but are incapable of listening

I understand that vinegar is an acid.

I also understand that aluminum is not inert, which means it is susceptible to acids and such.

What I do not understand is why boiling it makes it any worse than just soaking it.

I have seen on other forums they advise that you should boil it in vinegar.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong I am saying I am not a metallurgist and do not understand the reason it is different.

Can anyone help out?

So can I soak it in vinegar overnight with a home made agitator like TeacherTim used? Basically a random orbital sander mounted (on the tank holding the carbs)in some way so it does not fall in and short out.

Is over night too long? Can I heat it but not boil it?

I am not convinced my carbs are right or my ignition is right quite yet. Somebody is unhappy but I am not sure who so I want to strip the carbs again and this time soak them in vinegar.
    1978 CX500 Running and Looking good
    1980 KZ250 LTD Single - Current paint victim... er ... project.
    1977 GL1000 NGW current project.

Any day I ride to work is a better day than any day I drive to work.
    Any day I drive to work is a better day than any day I walk to work.
    Any day I walk to work is a better day than any day I am too sick to work.
    Any day I get to ride around all day and not go to work is beautiful!

Raising the temperature accelerates the reaction of the vinegar to the calcium build up. I have boiled some at a 50/50 mix and had no problems. I probably let them boil for 15 minutes and then flushed with cold water.

I routinely clean our faucet aerators from the hard water build up by putting a half cup of vinegar in the micro and bringing it to a boil, then drop in the aerator. Otherwise it takes forever to clean them. Or use CLR. It is a acid, not sure which one, probably HCL.
    1983 GL650I, 1980 CX500, 1974 CB350F, 1973 CT90

Need information? Try our new Wiki site: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

I also understand that aluminum is not inert, which means it is susceptible to acids and such.

What I do not understand is why boiling it makes it any worse than just soaking it.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong I am saying I am not a metallurgist and do not understand the reason it is different.

Can anyone help out?

So can I soak it in vinegar overnight with a home made agitator like TeacherTim used? Basically a random orbital sander mounted (on the tank holding the carbs)in some way so it does not fall in and short out.

I am not convinced my carbs are right or my ignition is right quite yet. Somebody is unhappy but I am not sure who so I want to strip the carbs again and this time soak them in vinegar.
    I soaked a set for about a week in vinegar once,,don't soak the accelerator pump if you have one though. See this thread I started at the old forum.

Rinse the carbs with water as soon as you bring them out of the vinegar.

As for boiling I don't know,,there was a guy that slow boiled a set once and if I remember correctly they boiled dry and were left that way overnight or something,,they were not pretty when he got back to them.
    ...and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind, let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new. Hail Atlantis!

1975 XL-100, 1978 CX500, 1980 CX500, 1981 CX500

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip52.htm Might try this method. AGB-1
    1989 NT650,1990 NT650,1977 CB750F,1975 CB550F,1982 CB750SC,1975 GL1000,1981 GL1100,Suzuki VX800,1972 Norton 750.CX500D 1980

Quote Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

Can anyone help out?

Well, its all based on physics.

The acid (vinigar is very weak acetic acid) will react with compounds (calcium residue which is a carbonate) and break them down to form water and a soulble product (thus seeming to desolve it). The acid will ALSO react with many metals to form an oxide and sometimes a salt of the metal. So, whats temp got to do with it ... simple.... virtually ALL chemical reactions will proceed at a speed based on temperature. Boiling the vinagar will do two things for you

1 - increase the reaction time thus making metal errosion move faster

2 - remove water from the solution, thus increasing the acid concentration which speeds the reaction more.

One small note about vinigar and boiling. Vinagar is WEAK acetic acid (about 4%) and tastey when put on fries. it is also the main ingredient of "wart remover" (about 30%). Pure acetic acid (98%) will blister your skin in about 5 seconds of contact. So while its mild household stuff, remember ALL acids can really wreck bike bits if not understood and used properly.

(Also, your carbs are made from "aluminum alloy" NOT pure aluminum, and therefore some "parts" of the alloy will errode fasted based on their properties. Boiling can make nice microscopic pitting which can really degrade passageways and provide "biting surfaces" for fuel gum to latch on)
    1982 CX500C
    1979 GL1000

For detailed service and repair info, see the CX WIKI Pages
    Rebuilding a carb, do it right with Larry's Carb Book

Some people are like answering machines..... they ask but are incapable of listening

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links