Electrical/Tail-Brake Light Question - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Electrical/Tail-Brake Light Question

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    Also, since there are no signal lights attached at the front, they will not flash since the circuit is not complete.
    This has no bearing on the tail/stop light.
    Ah! I was wondering if this was part of the problem. Thanks!
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

Quote Originally Posted by reclinedrelic View Post
    There should not be a flasher in the brake light circuit.
    Now you guys have me confused. Nolimitz says I need an LED Flasher...I presume because I have an LED brake light. However, like you say, the brakelight does not flash..the turn signals do. From what I can tell, my turn signals are not LED. So, the LED flasher is not needed?

Maybe all my problems go away once I get the front signals and headlight installed?
    OCR likes this.
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

Correct, if your turn signals are not LED then you don't need an LED style flasher. The headlight should not affect how the turn signals function.
    Mike

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    1981 GL500 (Blackie) parts bike
    1983 GL650I (Big Red) parts bike
    198? CX500C (Adam) only a few parts left
    London, Ontario, Canada

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by reclinedrelic View Post
    Correct, if your turn signals are not LED then you don't need an LED style flasher. The headlight should not affect how the turn signals function.
    Cool. I think I have the turn signal issue figured out. Now I just need to narrow in on the brake light problem. As described at the top, when all three wires are plugged in, the brake light turns on. If I switch the Light's White and Red wires around, the same thing occurs.

I also tried connecting the Light's White wire only to the Harness Green/Yellow and left the Light's Red/Harness Brown unconnected. The running light displays. As soon as I hook up the Light's Red wire to the Harness Brown wire, the Brake light displays even though the Brake is not being applied.

I then tried the reverse: I connected the Light's White wire only to the Harness Brown and left the Light's Red/Harness Green/Yellow unconnected. The running light displays. As soon as I hook up the Light's Red wire to the Harness Green/Yellow wire, the Brake light displays even though the Brake is not being applied.

In other words, no matter how I connect the wires, as soon as I connect the second power wire the brake light displays as if the brake is on all the time. I'm wondering if this means the Rear Brake Light Switch is bad?

D
    Last edited by dkmulford; 01-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

Re the recommendation for an LED flasher: It is becoming a standard response because so many people change their signals and then they won't flash. In your case it probably isn't necessary. Have you tried connecting the signals directly to power to confirm that they work? The easiest way at this point would be to leave the black wires plugged in and use a piece of wire to connect each of the black/white wires in turn to the positive of the battery. If they work it is a pretty good bet that the system will work once the front signals are connected.

Re tail/brake light: Try reversing the connections to the tail & brake light circuits (brown and green/yellow wires) and see if that fixes it. You could also check which of the light's wires is tail and which is brake by leaving the black wire plugged in and connecting the others to the battery in turn with that same piece of wire and observing which is brighter, then connecting that one to the green/yellow.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    Re the recommendation for an LED flasher: It is becoming a standard response because so many people change their signals and then they won't flash. In your case it probably isn't necessary. Have you tried connecting the signals directly to power to confirm that they work? The easiest way at this point would be to leave the black wires plugged in and use a piece of wire to connect each of the black/white wires in turn to the positive of the battery. If they work it is a pretty good bet that the system will work once the front signals are connected.
    Yes, I have confirmed the lights work. As originally described, they come on solid, but do not flash. I'm proceeding with connecting the front signals to see if this fixes the problem. I'll update when I get this completed.

Re tail/brake light: Try reversing the connections to the tail & brake light circuits (brown and green/yellow wires) and see if that fixes it. You could also check which of the light's wires is tail and which is brake by leaving the black wire plugged in and connecting the others to the battery in turn with that same piece of wire and observing which is brighter, then connecting that one to the green/yellow.
    As described above, I have reversed the connections. That does not fix the problem (of the brake light displaying all the time even though the brake is not on). I have also checked which light is the tail and which is brake. That's is how I was about to determine which wire to plug into the Harness Green/Yellow brake light wire. However, as described above, when you plug the other light's tail light wire (i.e., both wires are connected at the same time) the light displays the brake light.
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

D'Oh! Now that you mention it I remember reading that your signals come on and don't flash. Yes, I agree that connecting the fronts should fix that. How many wires do your new front signals have? The originals had 3 wires and a dual filament bulb (similar to the original tail light) with the brighter filament being the turn signal and the dimmer one a running light that is turned off when the signal is flashing. I think you understand how to figure out which is which if you have 3 wire signals. If your new signals are 2 wire just connect them the same way as the rears, being careful to use the solid light blue and solid orange (the ones with the white stripes are for the running lights.

Technically, any modification to the lighting of a vehicle is supposed to retain at least the original function, which means that you are required to have those running lights. You aren't likely to get into trouble if you don't have them but on the other hand anything that makes you more noticeable in traffic can't hurt. FWIW, neither of my bikes has running lights in the front signals but I have added unobtrusive LED running lights so some half blind cager can't claim I wasn't well enough lit.

Re tail/brake light: What happens when you plug the wire for the tail light into the brown and don't plug the wire for the brake light in? Is it possible that one of the brake light switches needs adjustment and the brake light circuit is live all the time? (Don't ask why I thought of that It didn't take me too long to figure it out...)
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

D'Oh! Now that you mention it I remember reading that your signals come on and don't flash. Yes, I agree that connecting the fronts should fix that. How many wires do your new front signals have? The originals had 3 wires and a dual filament bulb (similar to the original tail light) with the brighter filament being the turn signal and the dimmer one a running light that is turned off when the signal is flashing. I think you understand how to figure out which is which if you have 3 wire signals. If your new signals are 2 wire just connect them the same way as the rears, being careful to use the solid light blue and solid orange (the ones with the white stripes are for the running lights.

Technically, any modification to the lighting of a vehicle is supposed to retain at least the original function, which means that you are required to have those running lights. You aren't likely to get into trouble if you don't have them but on the other hand anything that makes you more noticeable in traffic can't hurt. FWIW, neither of my bikes has running lights in the front signals but I have added unobtrusive LED running lights so some half blind cager can't claim I wasn't well enough lit.
    The front signals are exactly like the rear signals..they have two wires..and according to the JPCycles website...they have a single filament bulb. So I'm guessing without that third wire I can't just switch the bulb to a dual filament bulb. I'd like to have the same functionality as before and have the running lights.

Re tail/brake light: What happens when you plug the wire for the tail light into the brown and don't plug the wire for the brake light in? Is it possible that one of the brake light switches needs adjustment and the brake light circuit is live all the time? (Don't ask why I thought of that It didn't take me too long to figure it out...)
    When I plug the wire for the tail light into the brown and don't plug the wire for the brake light in, the tail light comes on (the dimmer light). Yeah, what you say about the brake light circuit being live all the time is what I was thinking...I'm wondering if a new brake light switch would fix it. Before trying that I thought I'd plug in the old tail light and see what happens with it...to try to rule out the new LED brake light.
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

Before you do that try unplugging one wire from each of the brake light switches one at a time to figure out if that is the problem and if one of them is see if it can be adjusted or if spraying contact cleaner (the real stuff, not WD-40) into it and working it a few times fixes it.

As for the front signals, you have 2 options: 1) get 3 wire dual filament signals or 2) use separate running lights like I did. There are some really small, really bright LED lights on eBay that will work well.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Before you do that try unplugging one wire from each of the brake light switches one at a time to figure out if that is the problem and if one of them is see if it can be adjusted or if spraying contact cleaner (the real stuff, not WD-40) into it and working it a few times fixes it.
    Ok. Will do! Thx.

As for the front signals, you have 2 options: 1) get 3 wire dual filament signals or 2) use separate running lights like I did. There are some really small, really bright LED lights on eBay that will work well.
    Ok. I'll probably try to find some 3 wire signals to avoid having to hang more lights. Thx!
    79 CX500 Custom
    08 Harley FXSTC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links