Changing CX500 Standard fork oil - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Changing CX500 Standard fork oil

Hmm, looks like there isn't a consensus on whether or not the '79 Standard has drain bolts at the bottom of the forks (unless I'm misunderstanding which bolt Joe is talking about). I guess I'll find out when I take the tire off.

Phreak, I don't have a floor jack, although I guess I could use one of the ones that goes with the spare tire in a car. I should really get a good jack, but for now, I may just stack cinderblocks on the seat to lift the front wheel up..

Joe, that video is super helpful, although I don't plan on replacing the seals. It's normal for the forks to have a very, very thin sheen of oil on them, right? I've never noticed oil dripping or squirting out of the forks, but they're always slightly greasy to the touch.

dfoustou, my fork is ridiculously soft at the moment. I'm going to try 20w (I already bought it), but it should be easy enough to switch over to 5w if I end up in the same boat as you.

Thanks everybody!
    '79 CX500 Standard

No need to take the tire off. I lift the front of the bike a bit to remove tension from the forks; I loosen up the handlebars and then I open the top bolts on the forks. I use a syringe+tube to drain the forks. Overall, it doesn't take me more than 30 min for both.
    cheers,
    dionysis
    Dionysis

79 CX500 C
    07 RSV 1000R
    08 WR250R

IBA#58777

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtomicGoose View Post
    Hmm, looks like there isn't a consensus on whether or not the '79 Standard has drain bolts at the bottom of the forks (unless I'm misunderstanding which bolt Joe is talking about). I guess I'll find out when I take the tire off.

Phreak, I don't have a floor jack, although I guess I could use one of the ones that goes with the spare tire in a car. I should really get a good jack, but for now, I may just stack cinderblocks on the seat to lift the front wheel up..

Joe, that video is super helpful, although I don't plan on replacing the seals. It's normal for the forks to have a very, very thin sheen of oil on them, right? I've never noticed oil dripping or squirting out of the forks, but they're always slightly greasy to the touch.

dfoustou, my fork is ridiculously soft at the moment. I'm going to try 20w (I already bought it), but it should be easy enough to switch over to 5w if I end up in the same boat as you.

Thanks everybody!
    You won't be able to see the allen head drain bolts on the bottom of the forks until you have the wheel off and axle removed. It's not as complicated as it seems at first. As for using a floor jack, mine was out of commission when I did my fork service so I used the scissor jack from my Honda Accord and it worked just fine. When the bike was stable on the center stand, I put a length of 2x8 between the jack and the engine and raised it up. Once it was elevated enough to lift the front wheel off the ground, I blocked up the engine with other cut-offs of 2x8's. and removed the jack.

It's normal to have a little sheen of oil on the upper forks for lubrication. One of my seals was bad and I had oil bypassing the seal and dust cap and it was accumulating road grime all over the left fork so that's why I had mine apart.

Name:  IMG_4153.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  134.9 KB
    Last edited by joewhazou; 01-12-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    1978 CX500 Maggie May
    "You stole my heart, but I love you anyway"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm an advocate of complete removal and strip down due to the sludge you often find when the issue has been neglected for some years.

I would consider this {on bike refill} with one of my own bikes that have had the fork oil changed in living memory though.
    Sidecar Bob likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

The reason I'm reluctant to do a full strip down is that when I looked at the FSM, there looked like there were a lot of little parts that could easily be put back incorrectly -- also, I don't have a seal driver with which to put the seals back afterwards. Could I get the inside of the forks somewhat clean by removing them from the triple tree and then just running lots of water through them, instead of totally disassembling them?
    '79 CX500 Standard

Not water. It won't dissolve the gunge very well and may cause further problems from corrosion.

Flushing with kerosene is a realistic solution though.

You could fill them with kero, plunge them for a little while and redrain.

Repeat as many times as needed to get the kero coming back out clean.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Without drain plug

Honda Cx500 1979 (z) Usa Front Fork - schematic partsfiche

With drain plug (number 23) (as an example for the newer forks)

Honda Cx500c Custom 1981 (b) Italy Front Fork - schematic partsfiche

@joewhazou:
    That's not a "drain plug".
    Okay, if You go this way the oil flow out.

I would think that this is the easiest way as I described here.
    Last edited by guelli02; 01-13-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Phreak: also, if I do decide to fully rebuild them, is it ok to reuse the fork seals if I'm careful while taking them out?

guelli: ok, thank you for the clarification. I'll be doing it your way.
    '79 CX500 Standard

Agreed, guelli02, it's not actually a "drain plug", but rather a retaining bolt to hold the lower fork case to the upper fork pipe. If all the TheAtomicGoose wants to do is drain the oil, then removing the allen bolts and draining the forks will do the job. However, I agree with you about fully removing the forks from the triple tree. A lot of gunk gets built up in the forks over time and if someone doesn't know when the last time the forks were serviced, I would definitely recommend a complete removal and cleaning before refilling them with new oil. Thanks for the clarification.
    1978 CX500 Maggie May
    "You stole my heart, but I love you anyway"

Phreak: also, if I do decide to fully rebuild them, is it ok to reuse the fork seals if I'm careful while taking them out?

You could if they're unbushed forks, but I'd just replace them to be honest. They're fairly cheap.

If they're bushed forks the seal is generally slide hammered out with the fork slider to dismantle the fork. The seals wouldn't like this much.
    Sidecar Bob likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links