Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Need CV Boot for 82 Gl

650 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveF 
#1 ·
Hey all I got my stator back from Custom Rewind the other day and now ever so slowly I am begining to put my 82 GL 500 back together and I need a CV Boot (driveshaft boot if you will).

The dealer tells me it is unavailable. Any suggestions for a replacement boot for this application? The other things unavailable from the dealer are the large hollow dowls for the rear cover however mine apear to be in good shape so hopefully I won't need them.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Sometimes the boot can be repaired if not too bad. I used a sewing needle and monofilament fishing line to sew the pleats back together. Added a bit of black silicone on the inside and it is as good as new. Well, it is serviceable anyway.

#3 ·
Really all you are going to need is a length of hose about the same ID as the OD of the existing boot. Use both ends of the boot and thin wall soft hose like a radiator hose. You might even be able to find a pleated one. Cut a section and bind both end bells to either end with some black silicone ll or something. I had a split and just found a section of wide velcro and wrapped it round. Works great. Keeping these antique bikes on the road will require more and more creativity but judging from my experience, its worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.