Unidentified screw found inside engine.
Close

Unidentified screw found inside engine.

So i pulled the front cover off just the other day and found this beauty lounging on the bottom, just behind the oil pump.

Consulted various diagrams and they're only so specific. No dice.

Now, to me it looks as if though this screw might belong on the outside of the engine, but i've no shortage of screws and the implied stupidity necessary to forget such a major potential gearbox-destroyer is too much for me to wrap my head around.

This being my first CX, i've noticed the two tapped holes just above the gearbox assembly, but i'm not entirely sure as to their purpose. Tried threading it in, but it feels as though it's far too long.

So what i'm asking is -- Does this thing belong inside the engine or vice versa?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

outside. count up front cover bolts
    cx650c/cx500/gl500/gl650
    gearshift spring #4 on microfiche:http://www.ebay.com/itm/141622820137...84.m1555.l2649

I dunno Joe, it may be an inside flanged bolt. I circled a possible empty threaded hole that has a matching flanged bolt installed opposite. There are two similar holes that I think the OP refers to in his post, both empty.

Name:  oil pump area.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  466.7 KB
    Last edited by ramprat06; 03-20-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The one circled in blue is accounted for, it's for one of three screws that hold the gearbox/clutch divider(?) on. Mainly the ones circled in red that piqued my interest.

Haha, been counting the outside screws till i felt dizzy joe, nothing missing there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With that domed head, it looks like an outside bolt. But given I just rebuilt the front end of mine this past weekend, it looks like one of the 2 long ones (of 3 total) that hold on the oil guard splash plate in front of the transmission. The 2 you have missing in the transmission- the blue one you have accounted for, there's another long one that goes in the bottom of the remaining 2 holes for that plate- about the 4 oclock position on the clutch shaft there.
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom (In a pile of parts, current project)
    1981 Suzuki GN400CR (Cafe Racer, current ride)
    1976 Honda CB125S1 (Full original restoration. Sold her and miss it. Every. Single. Day.)

Why I said outside is you just opened up the cover and discovered the bolt; I wasn't considering you had taken other bolts out or one may have vibrated out. Go to Honda Parts and look in the diagrams and measure the bolt. The chart in there will tell you all the bolt sizes and where they go.
    cx650c/cx500/gl500/gl650
    gearshift spring #4 on microfiche:http://www.ebay.com/itm/141622820137...84.m1555.l2649

Might be a little late but I resolved the issue. Rifled through the Honda Parts page Joe recommended, seems to be exclusively an outside bolt.
    Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore, but I might just have to call up the previous owner and give him a stern talking to

Thanks for the help.
    '78 CX500 nicknamed ''The Irker''

The bolt may be intended for the outside of the engine but could it be possible that the previous owner used this bolt to replace another that he lost. A bolt that goes inside the engine? It might be worth asking the question just in case, probably better to cover all the bases when it comes to inside your engine.

You never know he could say he lost an outside bolt and had to buy an extra, and you now found the lost bolt.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

Well shoot, that's a good point. Just put on the rear cover w/ a new gasket too. D'oh.
    In reality I probably don't have the patience necessary to track down and call all 11 of the previous owners, but at the very least I know for a fact that the last guy didn't do any in-engine work.
    And judging from the condition of what new parts it had in it, i'd say it's probable the latest touch-up was fairly recent.

Still haven't determined the purpose of the ports i circled in red in the picture above, though. If it's to be something i'm hoping that's it(?)
    Last edited by Fars; 04-04-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    '78 CX500 nicknamed ''The Irker''

Sponsored Links