first time start after rebuild. Thoughts? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: first time start after rebuild. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MCReviver View Post
    You didn't crack a block in the middle of the winter did you?

I doubt it. For most of the winter, it was in my basement, unassembled.
    I'll check the oil in the am for separation.
    1980 CX500 custom

Let the oil sit all night in the cup. I also drained entire contents of crank case. Doesn't look milky to me. Seems like the white smoke is isolated to right cylinder head area. Anyone have any more assistance or guidance to sort this out?
    1980 CX500 custom

OCR
    Check if the smoke smells sweet or not, that will tell you if it is coolant or oil.
    CXPHREAK likes this.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

am I understanding this correctly ?

smoke is at the head not out tailpipe ?

there are many reasons smoke happens.

don't panic.

coolant.oil,foreign unknown substance,

can/will get in there.

or leak into cracks crevasses around exhaust pipes

capillary action will keep an amazing amount

in the joints or wick into pipes.

This is what I would do, remember this is free advice.

So might be worthless,if not fully comfortable

with it..........don't do it !!!

take it outdoors watch the temp. gauge/oil light

and drips....... let it run.

iif there appears any other symptoms shut it down

immediately,make repair....repeat.

its surprising how much smoke comes out

of a small quantity of fluid/oil/or other containment.
    SideCar Bob's great thread on settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Just an Old Rant not very Important: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St

StatorTest;;

'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Name is derived from the sound of this engine at highway speeds.
    Like its eager to go.
    had a Horse that was "Eager"
    But didn't sound the same.
    So I called him "Duke"

Thanks for the all help everyone. I really appreciate any and all advice.

First to respond to purplecx500's question. The white smoke is coming from tail pipe on right side only. No H pipe. separate headers and silencers.

Here is some more info based on a couple more hours of work on the bike today.

Changed the oil to fresh stuff. The oil I removed did not appear milky to me, just dirty.

After putting in new oil, I tightened down the valve covers some more (this solved my problem of oil spilling out of the overflow hole on sides of heads).

Started up bike. let it run for about 10 minutes. Here is what I noticed during and after the running of the bike:

Keep in mind that I have 2-into 2 pipes without crossover H pipe.

The temp never got too hot. The coolant in the overflow and the radiator itself never went down. In contrary, the level in the radiator itself went up somewhat as the bike warmed up.

It seemed to idle and run decently the whole time. Lots of valve noise on both sides but I think this is nornal.

1) right side. Lots of smoke thru exhaust immediately upon startup and throughout entire running of bike. Never really changed. It was thick and white, I wouldn't really say it was a sweet smell. The smoke itself didn't really smell much. The thing I do notice, is that as I sit here and type this I smell like oil, gas, and smokey- and I didn't spill anything on me, so I assume that is the smoke. If you look at the exhaust tip on this side, there was a small amount of thin, black colored watery stuff collecting on tip of silencer. Once I cut engine, I removed the plug and it looked a little charred, like a normal plug that I typically see (see the pic below- the plug on the left in the picture). There was a very small bit of wetness that I could see on the top of the piston. I put a q-tip down there and it was a brown color. Didn't seem to look green. I ran a compression test- 150 PSI.

2) left side. Initially a very small amount of white smoke from exhaust. It went away pretty quickly. Exhaust tip dry and clean. Once I cut engine, I removed plug. This is the very clean looking plug seen in the pic below. (its strange because it looked so clean, you would think this is the side that was leaking coolant??) The top of piston was dry. Compression was 155 PSI.

I looked at the oil once again. Seems like the color of slightly dirty oil. Doesn't appear milky or pasty brown.

Name:  IMG_3224.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  1.95 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-21-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    1980 CX500 custom

Lots of White smoke is usuall water. Are you running antifreeze and water? If not it is not going to have a sweet smell. The sweet smell comes from ethylene glycol. If it was water I would expect the plug to be steamed cleaned and the top of the piston.

Just curious, did you have the Pistons out. Did you move the rings. Maybe the oil and compression ring gaps are aligned. Maybe a lot of oil would make it smoke like a two stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
    Lots of White smoke is usuall water. Are you running antifreeze and water? If not it is not going to have a sweet smell. The sweet smell comes from ethylene glycol. If it was water I would expect the plug to be steamed cleaned and the top of the piston.

Just curious, did you have the Pistons out. Did you move the rings. Maybe the oil and compression ring gaps are aligned. Maybe a lot of oil would make it smoke like a two stroke.
    mix of 50% distilled water and 50% ethylene glycol. maybe my nose isn't sensitive or something but i doesn't really smell sweet to me. It just smells like exhaust.

Pistons were not out. I only had the cylinder heads off when I was doing the triple bypass, etc. If I was burning a lot of oil ("like a 2 stroke"), wouldn't my compression numbers on that side be low?

Also, I have read about the "steam cleaning" of the plugs. As I stated above, the interesting thing is that the side that is "not smoking" is the side with the really clean plug. Neither of the two pistons tops appear to be steam cleaned. The side that is smoking is the darker plug as shown in the pics.
    1980 CX500 custom

ok so you have checked and re checked it all oil is normal ect

so my advice let it run for 10-15 mins to make sure all the air is burped out and the temp is stable check it over again

then go an gently drive it for 20-30 mins stopping and checking what ever you need to t feel comfortable

i have had oil flooded ring lands and exhaust that has taken 20-30 mins to cook out

then when i started to get on it harder even more cooked out till it was all gone in total almost a hour to get it all burnt up and gone

as heat works its way down the exhaust

you know what you are doing take care watch smell and look
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    ok so you have checked and re checked it all oil is normal ect

so my advice let it run for 10-15 mins to make sure all the air is burped out and the temp is stable check it over again

then go an gently drive it for 20-30 mins stopping and checking what ever you need to t feel comfortable

i have had oil flooded ring lands and exhaust that has taken 20-30 mins to cook out

then when i started to get on it harder even more cooked out till it was all gone in total almost a hour to get it all burnt up and gone

as heat works its way down the exhaust

you know what you are doing take care watch smell and look
    sound advice. I will try that. It makes me wonder if my exhaust is simply full of crap. The harley silencers were sitting in a garage for 15 years. Maybe i will get lucky.

I may try a leak down test just for fun. I Have to figure out if renting one locally make sense. The harbor freight cheapo ones get crap reviews, and I don't really want to buy a fancy one since its not a tool that I will personally need very often.

Both tires just came in the mail today so my plan is to get her running and take it for a spin this weekend once I have them mounted and see if the smoke will burn off.

Now,,, if only I could find someone locally who mounts and balances tires without ripping me off. everyone wants $40-50 per tire, which is crazy.
    1980 CX500 custom

A friend made my leakdown tester for me. It is a simple device without guages that relies on your ears to tell you where the compression is going.

It is just the metal part of an old sparkplug with a tube to clear the plugwell silver soldered to it with the end threaded to take a compressor fitting.

It is basic but does the job very well.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links