first time start after rebuild. Thoughts?
Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: first time start after rebuild. Thoughts?

first time start after rebuild. Thoughts?

1980 CX500 C

purchased last fall. Started up and seemed to run decently. No smoking or unusual sounds. Compression on both cylinders within spec.

Tore bike apart and made into a cafe/ bobber style this winter. Now I have the bike back together and the right side is smoking quit a bit. I only let it run for a minute or two before shutting down. It started smoking immediately after starting.

Here's what I did to motor. Since I had it out, I decided to do the triple bypass. New stator from custom rewind. Ignitech ignition. New CAM chain and tensioner/guide setup. Unfortunately, because I had broken off two bolts in the case where the metal coolant tube returns the coolant to bottom of radiator, I also decided to remove both cylinder heads. Therefore, new gaskets were applied (genuine OEM honda), valves adjusted cylinders looked good from top. Buttoned the bike back up and here I am today with a smokey right side. Should I just let it run for a while and see if it burns off? I don't want something catastrophic to happen, so I shut it down until I sought the advice here. It otherwise idles good, sounds decent, and revs nicely. I cannot drive it yet because it doesn't have wheels on it.

Thanks for input.
    1980 CX500 custom

White smoke is a sign of coolant.

hmm, ok. Why would there be coolant in there? where should I start?
    1980 CX500 custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

what kind of exhaust do you have ?

how long did you run it?

did you burp the cooling system

is the oil still clear
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    what kind of exhaust do you have ?

how long did you run it?

did you burp the cooling system

is the oil still clear
    stock headers. Your adaptors. Stock Harley slip ons.

I ran it about 1-2 minutes when I did the original post.

I have an update:

I took about an hour and removed the head on the right side (the smokey side). It was a brand new OEM gasket that I had literally just put on there. When I removed head, the gasket de-laminated somewhat but didn't seem to look grossly abnormal. I had a cheap NE brand head gasket laying around, so I threw that one on there. Put the bike back together and crossed my fingers.

Started bike and the same thing happened. Immediately the right side was very smokey with thick white smoke. This time I let it run for about 5-7 minutes and it never really changed. Of note, is that the coolant level really didn't go down much either. I tapped the radiator to get air bubbles out.
    One new thing i noticed, at the muffler tip of the smokey side, there was alot of water and condensation forming at the exhaust tip. None of this was present on the left side.

Also, after about 5-7 minutes of running, I noticed what appeared to be oil coming out of both cylinder heads thru the hole pictured below. There was much more on the smokey side (splattering around garage thru the hole), but the other side was also doing it too.

as far as the oil, from the best I can tell it looks clear. I shined a light down into dipstick area and there is a touch of froth around the edges. I stuck a screwdriver down there and pulled some oil out, put it on some paper and it looks pretty darn clear- like oil.

below is the hole where fluid was dripping out of on both sides after about 5 minutes of running. worse on the smokey side

Name:  IMG_3219.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-20-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    1980 CX500 custom

You didn't forget item 12 on this illustration did you?
    Honda Motorcycle Parts 1982 CX500C A LEFT CYLINDER HEAD Diagram
    That would possibly make it smoke.
    If oil is dripping out of the hole, you need to check the round seal on the center of the rocker box (valve) cover. the one that seals the spark plug well from oil in the valve area.
    Last edited by MCReviver; 03-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

I was half expecting to have forgotten that o-ring but it is there.
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-20-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    1980 CX500 custom

Quote Originally Posted by MCReviver View Post
    If oil is dripping out of the hole, you need to check the round seal on the center of the rocker box (valve) cover. the one that seals the spark plug well from oil in the valve area.

Thanks I'll check that. so it sounds like I had two problems. The leaking thru the hole is likely the seal around plugs.

Any thoughts on the white smoke?
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-20-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    1980 CX500 custom

so another update. I drained a small cup of oil from the engine. Attached is a pic. I wouldn't necessarily call it "milky" but it also doesn't look right. Particularly since I just filled it with fresh oil and only ran it 10 minutes. So is this what a coolant leak into the oil looks like?
    any advice on how to proceed to sort out this right side white smoke issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

and I guess a follow up question would be- since I already put a second head gasket on tonight and it still smokes, Should i run it for more time before bagging it and going with a third head gasket? Maybe there is residual that needs to burn off? How do I isolate where the coolant to oil mix is coming from? I assume its the right head gasket since that is the side that smokes?

Name:  IMG_3220.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1.94 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    1980 CX500 custom

Let it sit a while. The coolant should settle out to the bottom. of the cup. You could try starting it without any coolant in it. If it doesn't smoke then, coolant must be getting by somehow. You didn't crack a block in the middle of the winter did you?
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links