Carb flooded, time to clean?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb flooded, time to clean?

Had fuel leak out of a drain hose last time i rode. Now I noticed the side of the carb wet. Engine cranked and instantly stopped after a few revolutions. Unscrewed the drain screw on the carb... the thing was filled. Is this what happens when one of the needles/valves get stuck open?

Thanks for reading.

Name:  carb.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  79.2 KB
    83 CX650 Custom

Banned
    Correct. Fuel coming out over-flow tube indicates float/needle problem. Cleaning often fixes, but inspect needle carefully for a groove where it seats, and make sure float has no gas in it (cracked) and is moving freely on pivot pin. New parts for all relatively inexpensive.

Banned
    Hardest part of job for me was getting carbs of/on for cleaning. I removed intake manifold bolts first, loostened all clamps, and moved all back until I could remove intake manifolds. Then there is much more room to move carbs to side for cable removal etc. Be careful as old manifolds can be broken if too much force is applied. Check o-rings on manifolds for damage, new can be obtained at machine supply or ebay/Honda. Recently on here a mosquito was found on the float needle of a carb, it leaked like yours. New floats $14 and needles $7 on ebay. 2 complete carb kits- no fuel pump or air valves or floats- $32 with lots of parts u wont use. Cleaning goes a long way, inspect parts carefully. Others may have better methods for carb removal, but it is a tight fitting assembly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Why but carb kit and not use it all?
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Banned
    I guess I've always been hesitant to separate carbs when not doing something like changing both air valves. The pipe o=rings are included in kit. I have also had kits that came with stuff that seemed to go on another model of carb. The kits pictured had all jets, slide needles, mixture screws and packing, bowl gaskets and lots of o-rings, pic may not be of exactly what they send= ebay.

Banned
    KItslso had 2 kinds of float needles shown, one with lifting loop. The books u show with links are probably of great help for a successful rebuild.

Cheap ebay kits instead of Randdakk's.

perezo

you have a cx650 custom it is the treat of all treats to pull the carbs off of and rebuild

most people here have 500 and they are a cake walk compared to the cx650 carbs

pm me if you want a few pointers and short cuts to get them off

and use common sense including if you need a specific answer make sure people know you have a 650

and that the people you are getting the answers from have one or know them
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

obo 515

doing the carbs and not inspecting and changing the aircut valve means you wasted your time

and you dont have to completly split them to do and clean the acvs
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by obo515 View Post
    2 complete carb kits- no fuel pump or air valves or floats- $32 with lots of parts u wont use.
    1) Fuel pump? These bikes don't have fuel pumps so why would the carb kit include it?
    2) If the kit doesn't include the air cut valves it isn't complete. Randakk's kits do.
    3) I also have to ask why, if you have gone to the trouble of removing the carbs to rebuild them you wouldn't rebuild them as fully as possible? A few people here have had transfer tube o-rings fail due to age and I wouldn't want that to happen when I was away from home.....
    4) You are still posting twice almost every time.....

Perezoso: Listen to Murray.

BTW: You don't need to unscrew the drain screw far enough for the fuel to come out around it. If you open it one turn the fuel should start coming out if the drain scres. And yes, the float bowls should be pretty close to full most of the time. Before you get into a big job put a container under the drain hose that the fuel is coming out of, turn the petcock on and give the side of the float bowl a few sharp taps with the handle of a screwdriver. That can often dislodge something that is stuck in the float valve...
    Last edited by Sidecar Bob; 03-22-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Remembered more after clicking Post
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links