Carburetor ohh carburetor
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Carburetor ohh carburetor

Carburetor ohh carburetor

Hey my name is Billy I am new to the Forum but have been looking over it for possible answers but now I am pretty stumped. I recently purchased a 1981 CX500c with only 7500 orginal miles on it. Currently in the process of cleaning her up to look pretty but there is one problem, she doesn't want to run right.

When I got the bike it was running way to rich and flooding after 5 mins from a cold start, so I ripped the carbs apart to clean them up, ordered a rebuild kit and went to work. The carbs were honestly not bad at all but the guy before me had two different floats in them. So cleaned/polished everything up in the carbs and threw them back together. Also replaced both main and pilot jets.

Now I have the issue of not getting enough fuel to air within the carbs, bike runs ok (a little rough) with 3/4 choke but will not idle for anything. Tried adjusting air/fuel screw and not doing much for me, the bike will die out if i give it full throttle on half choke. So i'm thinking of getting new air/fuel screws and accelerator pump for it, any ideas?? I miss riding!

I know there is a book about this carburetor but don't really have the time at the moment to read it with school. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate the help! Thanks

- Billy 1981 Honda CX500c

You need the book to do it right. Or search more in the forum. I suck with carbs, between me and a buddy we did it to my old 81. You will need to sync the carbs also. Did you bench set them before you put them on?
    Retired....now just a builder and flipper.
    Current projects
    78 gl1000
    1977 suzuki ts185

Ya I know I need to sync them but need a running bike to do it right, but yes i preset them to what the service manual called for but still isn't running right.

Billy 1981 Honda CX500c

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

When you say "service manual", what one do you mean? Typically, folks with this problem learn that the carbs are to blame, which in turn messes around with other items. Not always, but by and large. Larry's carb book is linked below, well worth the $.

Also below, see the link to the WIKI, which is chocked full of important and helpful ideas/tips. You can download the Factory Service Manual free, be sure to get the right year and model, and the addendum. If you have the Haynes or Clymer, they make good table levelers. Seriously, while they can be a bit more crafted to a layman's way, they have many errors, so rely on the FSM, the same manual that is used by Honda mechanics. Some like to say, buy a Haynes or Clymer motorcycle to use those books with.

Welcome aboard, and ask away if you aren't sure of something.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    When you say "service manual", what one do you mean? Typically, folks with this problem learn that the carbs are to blame, which in turn messes around with other items. Not always, but by and large. Larry's carb book is linked below, well worth the $.

Also below, see the link to the WIKI, which is chocked full of important and helpful ideas/tips. You can download the Factory Service Manual free, be sure to get the right year and model, and the addendum. If you have the Haynes or Clymer, they make good table levelers. Seriously, while they can be a bit more crafted to a layman's way, they have many errors, so rely on the FSM, the same manual that is used by Honda mechanics. Some like to say, buy a Haynes or Clymer motorcycle to use those books with.

Welcome aboard, and ask away if you aren't sure of something.

Sounds good, ill keep taking a peak around and keep tinkering with her, thanks!

- Billy 1981 Honda CX500c

check for air leak at the intakes. the book is a short read and working guide. did you use an ultrasonic cleaner?
    rscottp likes this.
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Unless you get one of the 2 books and follow the instructions there is probably 90% chance your carbs are not clean. There isn't really a shortcut to cleaning your carbs. If you want your bike to run right spend the time and do it right!
    nolimitz likes this.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    1986 Yamaha Radian YX600
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

you don't have time not to read the book. I wouldn't have been able to clean my carbs anywhere near as well as I did without the book. You may end up spending more time cleaning, installing, uninstalling repeat.

It's more of a pictorial procedure/how to than a "book" you won't sit down , read it, then clean em up with this new found knowledge of how carbs work. It's more of: here's a picture of what you're about to do, see that bolt there, take that out, then there's a tiny thing underthere that you never would've found otherwise that you also need to take out. Just my $0.02 though
    1980 Cx500 Custom

billyevon123 any chance that you mixed up the placement of the jets?
    Mike

Click the link to go to the Wiki

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

1981 GL500 (Jacob)
    1982 GL500I (Phil)
    1981 GL500 (Blackie) parts bike
    1983 GL650I (Big Red) parts bike
    198? CX500C (Adam) only a few parts left
    London, Ontario, Canada

I have the factory service manual. Plus i have Larry's Carb bible. The service leaves a lot to be desired. Larry's covers everything with nice clear pictures.
    If you used just the service manual I bet at least one jet was overlooked. I had a rusty tank so my carbs had lots of tinny tiny specks plugging everything. Ultrasonic, simple green solution, and heat for at least an hour still clogged. Carb cleaner, fine wires and back in the bath finally got them clean.

You need to Larry's bible and start over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links