Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I just pulled my carbs off tonight in preparation for the Randakks rebuild kit and book. Before I put the carbs back on, I would like to replace all of the rubber hoses.

What size are the various hoses?

the fuel line

the carb drain hose

the large air hoses that connects to the top of the cylinder head

Also where should I buy a replacement fuel filter from? I have checked in pepboys and advance auto, and didnt see any universal filters that would work.

Any help is appreciated!
    1980 CX500 Custom - now running

Carb rebuilds are magical!

The fuel line is 1/4" ID / 7mm ID. You should be able to get an small inline filter just about anywhere like: Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, any independent auto supply house, or any MC parts house. They frequently have them in the lawnmower section, but those are usually big & bulky and don't look as good as the 'slim" style" The "trick" with the fuel line is getting the correct size clamps as the OD of fuel line varies. I bought lovely clear blue polyurethane hose at a Kawasaki dealer locally. Although it did require two different size clamps to mate it with the petcock / carb inlet & the inline filter. The other hoses, I can't say coz I don't know, but you should be able to pull them and measure. If you put your location in your profile, there may be a member here who knows of a supplier near your location.

This is what I'm using:

Quote Originally Posted by Condoski View Post
    The fuel line is 1/4" ID / 7mm ID. You should be able to get an small inline filter just about anywhere like: Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, any independent auto supply house, or any MC parts house. They frequently have them in the lawnmower section, but those are usually big & bulky and don't look as good as the 'slim" style" The "trick" with the fuel line is getting the correct size clamps as the OD of fuel line varies. I bought lovely clear blue polyurethane hose at a Kawasaki dealer locally. Although it did require two different size clamps to mate it with the petcock / carb inlet & the inline filter. The other hoses, I can't say coz I don't know, but you should be able to pull them and measure. If you put your location in your profile, there may be a member here who knows of a supplier near your location.

This is what I'm using:

+1 I just changed mine out last week same filter but I got mine from O'Reilly's. Mine didn't have a flow arrow on it but the old one did, the fuel flows from the large end to the narrow end. I believe the line for the carb overflow are standard 1/8" vacuum hose
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.....

1980 CX500 Custom

2005 VTX 1300C

Hmmm... Jeeze, I dunno. Mine has the "arrow" and flows narrow to large. If it's a clear filter the arrow is difficult to see.

Thanks for all of the information. I guess I will just have to find more auto parts stores in my area. I could also try the lawnmower shop. They might have something off the shelf I could use.
    1980 CX500 Custom - now running

Carb rebuilds are magical!

Quote Originally Posted by Condoski View Post
    The other hoses, I can't say coz I don't know, but you should be able to pull them and measure.
    Remember to measure the barb, not the hose. Hoses are sized by the barb they will properly fit and they must stretch slightly to be a good fit. Besides, ots a lot easier to measure the solid barb than the flexible hose (don't even try to measure hardened hoses - they are never the size they should be). This is a place where a $10-15 digital vernier caliper proves its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Win52D View Post
    Mine didn't have a flow arrow on it but the old one did, the fuel flows from the large end to the narrow end.
    Ummm..... You can see the arrow in that pic. It flows from small to large so that you can see if there is debris on the outside of the sintered filter element.

BTW: I bought a filter that looks like that on eBay for the 'Wing. You are supposed to be able to clean the one I got by blowing compressed air through it in the opposite direction to the flow.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)

Click here for Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)
    Click here to visit my blog at CURD

Senior Member DavidfromWisconsin's Avatar
    The best fuel line to use is the 6mm line from Honda or if you can find it somewhere else.

It doesn't leak without a hose clamp. I have never had a hose clamp on my bikes since I found the 6mm line. I have found the 90 degree clear filter is the one I like best and you don't need a hose clamp on that either if you use the 6mm fuel line.

I'm down to 5 ft of gas line and 8 filters since spring ... too many bikes through the garage this summer.
    Formerly David from Wisconsin
    Formerly R80Dave
    GL500I "Candy"
    BMW K1200LT
    Kawasaki 400LTD (Wife's learning bike)
    Mentoring is available

Personally, I have never used any filter except for the one in the tank on either my GL500 that I ran for 5 winters and a couple of summers or my current CX650 based machine that I have had for 5 years. The only problems I have ever had that could possibly have been prevented by a filter were one occasion on each bike when a float valve didn't close properly and I had to remove the bowl and run a Q-tip around the seat. Oddly, it was the left carb in both cases so the sidecar wasn't in the way of removing the bowl without removing the carbs from the bike.

I should qualify this by saying that my tank is epoxy lined so I do not have rust particles floating around in it. When I put the 500 on the road in 2000 there was so much rust in the tank that the gas ran red. I found some blisters in the paint in 2003 so I had a local rad shop line the tank with epoxy. That tank was on the 500 for 2 years (almost 25,000 Km) and has been on the 650 for 5 years (about 45,000 Km).
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)

Click here for Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)
    Click here to visit my blog at CURD

81 CX500d has 7.5mm fuel hose which is slightly less than 5/16".

Quote Originally Posted by David from Wisconsin View Post
    The best fuel line to use is the 6mm line from Honda or if you can find it somewhere else.

It doesn't leak without a hose clamp. I have never had a hose clamp on m bikes since I found the 6mm line. I have found the 90 degree clear filter is the one I like best and you don't need a hose clamp on that either if you use the 6mm fuel line.

I'm down to 5 ft of gas line and 8 filters since spring ... too many bikes through the garage this summer.

Is this the fuel line you were talking about? http://compare.ebay.com/like/1606423...=sbar&_lwgsi=y
    1980 CX500 C

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors